Robert8

The LEGO Brick Race

I know I already said but this just wont happen. Its too risky. It could be even worse than The Ninjago Movie at the box office.

The Batman Movie 2 is a saffer bet because of the Batman franchise.

The best the can do at this point is take the fresh/innovative ideas the had for the movie and work them into TLM3, if it ever happens

On 2/11/2019 at 12:00 AM, Robert8 said:

I know I already said but this just wont happen. Its too risky. It could be even worse than The Ninjago Movie at the box office.

The Batman Movie 2 is a saffer bet because of the Batman 

I really have to disagree, people didn't decide against  seeing TLM2 because the main characters were yellow,  they didn't go because of brand fatigue and and if there's one thing you can say about TBBR it's that it sounds different. Unlike TLBM2 that sounds like it'd just be more of the same and don't get me wrong I love he same but it's clear that the General Audience is getting tired of it.

4 hours ago, Renny The Spaceman said:

I really have to disagree, people didn't decide against  seeing TLM2 because the main characters were yellow,  they didn't go because of brand fatigue and and if there's one thing you can say about TBBR it's that it sounds different. Unlike TLBM2 that sounds like it'd just be more of the same and don't get me wrong I love he same but it's clear that the General Audience is getting tired of it.

Honestly, I think you're both right in certain areA. People got wore out on LEGO movies in 2017 when there were 2 back to back, but also a Batman specific movie might do better with Batman's brand name and such. 

12 hours ago, jhuyser said:

Honestly, I think you're both right in certain areA. People got wore out on LEGO movies in 2017 when there were 2 back to back, but also a Batman specific movie might do better with Batman's brand name and such. 

The thing is even TLBM underperformed,  after DC's most recent atempt at Batman he's not as big of a draw. The best plan (whether it's TBBR or not) is to go the route of the original and make a film that is different and make a bunch of cameos so you can advertise them. Going with the example of TBBR make the male and female lead original character's with interesting personalitys and arcs and have a couple members of the supporting cast be famous characters and have at least one scene filled with cameos so you can slap all these famous characters on the poster.

5 hours ago, Robert8 said:

This movie is still happening, and it has been renamed "The LEGO Brick Race"

Huh, I wonder where they'd been told of such a title change. :shrug_confused:

Well, while I'm quite relieved to hear that it's still alive and kicking, I'm not quite that thrilled about this title change. Yeah, it most likely needed that LEGO prefix so the film wouldn't go over people's heads, but I think they should've rather renamed it either LEGO's The Billion Brick Race or The Billion Brick Race: A LEGO Movie:def_shrug:

But hey, perhaps even this change isn't final yet.

7 hours ago, Robert8 said:

This movie is still happening, and it has been renamed "The LEGO Brick Race"

https://boxofficebuz.com/article/lego-movie-2-struggles-to-build-a-solid-opening-weekend

Yes, this franchise isn't over yet! :laugh:

1 hour ago, Digger of Bricks said:

Huh, I wonder where they'd been told of such a title change. :shrug_confused:

Well, while I'm quite relieved to hear that it's still alive and kicking, I'm not quite that thrilled about this title change. Yeah, it most likely needed that LEGO prefix so the film wouldn't go over people's heads, but I think they should've rather renamed it either LEGO's The Billion Brick Race or The Billion Brick Race: A LEGO Movie:def_shrug:

But hey, perhaps even this change isn't final yet.

Billion Brick race did have a much nicer ring to it

3 hours ago, Pop Star c o said:

So, it looks like TLBR will be sequel to TLBM.

You must be confused. There's never been anything to suggest that TBBR/TLBR will be acting as any sort of follow-up to TLBM, as they're two distinct developments.

That is, unless you've definitely heard something to the contrary, which I haven't. :def_shrug:

So there's now a very real possibility this franchise will be shelved and while I can live without seeing  TLBM2 as it barely started production this film seems to have gotten quite far and it's a real shame all we may ever see of it is a blurry poster

Just now, Renny The Spaceman said:

So there's now a very real possibility this franchise will be shelved and while I can live without seeing  TLBM2 as it barely started production this film seems to have gotten quite far and it's a real shame all we may ever see of it is a blurry poster

For me, what impresses me the most about TBBR/TLBR is that it's a spinoff seemingly not based upon any particular preexisting property such as Batman or Ninjago.

Just now, Digger of Bricks said:

For me, what impresses me the most about TBBR/TLBR is that it's a spinoff seemingly not based upon any particular preexisting property such as Batman or Ninjago.

I agree, as I said before this film was gonna be different and that's exactly what the franchise needed. Though by this very nature assuming the film is canned they could very likely reuse the set's and characters for a bif bang theme without changing much 

9 minutes ago, Renny The Spaceman said:

Though by this very nature assuming the film is canned they could very likely reuse the set's and characters for a bif bang theme without changing much 

I have pondered that possibility, as I've figured designers must have cooked up some rather realized playsets for the movie due to its originally set release date of May 2019. If not finalized playsets, at least there are definitely on-screen vehicular builds completed for the film.

1 minute ago, Pop Star c o said:

It's written in that article.

No it's not, the exact quote ssays they're both in development 

A sequel to The Lego Batman Movie is already in development AS IS The Lego Brick Race (formally titled The Billion Brick Race)."

41 minutes ago, Renny The Spaceman said:

No it's not, the exact quote ssays they're both in development 

A sequel to The Lego Batman Movie is already in development AS IS The Lego Brick Race (formally titled The Billion Brick Race)."

Blimey, so Brick Race is still happening? I'm amazed.

The way it’s worded there (“formally”, as opposed to “formerly”) seems to indicate the official title is still The Billion Brick Race, and “The LEGO Brick Race” is just a descriptive informal title, like how the Beatles’ ninth studio album is usually referred to as “The White Album” rather than its actual official title of simply The Beatles.

If the article is intended to mean the movie was going to be “The Billion Brick Race” but is now supposed to be called The LEGO Brick Race, it should say “formerly” rather than “formally”. Given the similarity of the words, it could very easily be meant that way and just be a bit of sloppy writing / proofreading, but it also seems possible that it really is officially still The Billion Brick Race and yet everyone involved is referring to it as “The LEGO Brick Race” (since it just seems weird to have a LEGO movie without “LEGO” in the title).

After the terrible performance of The Lego Movie 2, you can bet your bottom dollar it's cancelled, and I suspect it had been long before that.

Although nothing ever gets cancelled anymore, just "shelved"; waiting for a plume of success to ride.

I hear that the Lego Batman Movie 2 was "confirmed" though, but I believe that's just hopeful executives and/or director jumping the gun. I can see that being given a final shot, since the first one did so well in the box office.

If a potential new Batman Lego flick bombs though, I fear that's game over for any future Lego feature film.

On 9/30/2019 at 11:08 PM, leafan said:

After the terrible performance of The Lego Movie 2, you can bet your bottom dollar it's cancelled, and I suspect it had been long before that.

It's a real shame given how far they seemingly got in production .

Doesn't help LM2 had SO much going against it considering it was going against Dragons 3 and Alita. Plus the five year gap. But yea franchise fatigue was also a factor. I still like LM2, but I acknowledge it's problems.

I think a bunch of bad decisions killed what could have been a long-running franchise.
For starters, waiting five year to release the direct sequel to a children's movie is always a bad idea. The original audience will be too old to still be interested in the same stuff they were five years ago, and not yet old enough to be rediscovering the things they loved as a child. 
The LEGO Batman Movie was already pushing it, arriving three years later (ideally for something like this, you want to be releasing a new film every 2 years).
Then they released both TLBM and The LEGO Ninjago movie in the same year, which created considerable brand fatigue and took away the excitement of a new LEGO movie being a special event.
On top of that, The LEGO Ninjago Movie had no clear audience. It completely alienated the themes existing core fanbase by jettisoning the existing continuity, cast and lore from the successful television series. But then presented a world where new audiences were given little introduction to the characters and mechanics of this world and relied more on an established knowledge of what Ninjago was already.
Then you have the LEGO Movie 2 itself which, seemingly not satisfied with arriving on screens several years too late, decides that its more concerned with scoring points on their SJW stamp card than telling an entertaining and engaging story (Meow!).

It's a real shame as I absolutely adore the first LEGO Movie and The LEGO Batman Movie was great too. And the idea of a LEGO movie that is a mashup of Wacky Races and Cannonball Run sounds ridiculously entertaining! I just seriously doubt it will now ever see the light of day.

20 hours ago, Cut the Kragle said:

Then you have the LEGO Movie 2 itself which, seemingly not satisfied with arriving on screens several years too late, decides that its more concerned with scoring points on their SJW stamp card than telling an entertaining and engaging story (Meow!).

Uhm, what kind of "SJW points" did TLM2 score exactly? :wacko: The movie is about siblings learning to play together and, as the movie puts it, "the death of imagination in the subconscious of an adolescent," and it was plenty entertaining to me. There's nothing SJW about it except for a hint of feminism, but that only ever came up in 1 or 2 scenes. Hardly a detractor for the movie, let alone a reason for the Brick Race to be cancelled. Franchise fatigue and the sequel's late arrival are much more likely reasons.