Robert8

The LEGO Brick Race

Another one already? Stop it LEGO, build this franchise up over time instead of rushing through it.

THE LEGO REVOLUTION OF CINEMA HAS BEGUN! :sing:

Seriously though, it does seem a little crazy that they are announcing all these sequels and spinoffs now, but I don't mind it. More Lego on the big screen is always a good thing and I like the sound of the title. I'm picturing a Whacky Races or Rat Race sort of movie in my head, like a Lego Racers movie. And considering who's writing it, there will probably be a lame twist halfway through the movie that the villain is just an actor pretending to be a racer. :tongue:

Another one already? Stop it LEGO, build this franchise up over time instead of rushing through it.

I don't think TLG has much to do with this; I think WB is to blame. Ever since the end of Harry Potter, they have been desperate for another money making franchise.

Hey, here's an idea for a spinoff: The Lego Harry Potter Movie! :sweet:

Sounds fun, but makes me a little worried now. This means there are now FOUR LEGO movies in the works. I truly wish that this comes from a good idea, as it hurts to think of the possibility that LEGO is milking themselves for money.

That's not to say they can't do it. If Marvel can do it with their shared universe, then why not LEGO?

I don't think TLG has much to do with this; I think WB is to blame. Ever since the end of Harry Potter, they have been desperate for another money making franchise.

Exactly this. You can kind of see the rabid desperation to pump out franchises lately--the DC Universe, the Hobbit, HP (a Newt Scamander trilogy?), etc.

Not that other studios aren't doing the same or that that makes the movies inherently bad, but it seems like they get in their own way somewhat with their ambition to launch the next mega-franchise.

Edited by rodiziorobs

With about less than a year and a half to go before this film's May 2019 release date, we should be expecting our first plot synopsis and casting announcements very soon for this movie, possibly alongside our first details for The Lego Movie's sequel.

Until then, here is what we know of so far:

The film will be directed by The Book of Life director Jorge Gutierrez, as reported by Variety back in August. As for plot details, writer Drew Pierce gave us a rough idea three years ago back in July 2015.

Nerd Report - Details On The Fourth Lego Sequel "The Billion Brick Race"

"Modestly, hopefully it will be the biggest race movie of all time,” Pearce said. “Imagine doing a race movie but having the ability to do it with Lego. So part Cannonball Run, part Wacky Races but with a real working class Rocky style blue collar vibe to it as well.”

“I came up with an original Lego idea, a completely standalone Lego movie, kind of out of nowhere. Then spoke to Phil and Chris and they’re exec’ing it. I’m directing that and Jason Segal and I are writing it. It won’t come out until so many years in the future that I might even be dead. It’s like 2019 that it’s coming out, and that will run along in the background of what I do which is hopefully write and shoot an original script.”

http://www.animationmagazine.net/people/jorge-r-gutierrez-breaks-off-from-billion-brick-race/

“I would like to publicly and from the bottom of my heart thank everyone I worked with at Briksburg, Lego and WAG. These last 9 months were a rollercoaster of thrills to say the least. I met so many amazing new people and learned a ton from all these incredible artists, directors, writers, editors, producers and execs. I leave a better filmmaker and it’s because of you all. May our paths cross again. Gracias mis amigos. And as I toasted on my first day there, ‘May we slip n slide on the blood of our enemies!!!’”

Oh dear, not sure what this means for the future of The Billion Brick Race.

4 minutes ago, jhuyser said:

Oh dear, not sure what this means for the future of The Billion Brick Race.

Great. I had an underlying gut feeling this would happen. :wall:

1 hour ago, BrickJagger said:

I don't think this will ever see the light of day, to be honest.

Though I do somewhat fear that may come to be, with a movie that's essentially a toy brand tie-in, is it too late in the game for WB to simply just cancel it? With about a year and three months to go before its current release date, don't you think that TLG would be pretty far along in the development of this movie's tie-in sets? I know we've seen proof of set lines that got cancelled even though they were pretty much finished in their development; but I feel that with a cinematic movie, WB just can't scrap the project this late into the game. 

Well, if that happens I can't say I'd be sad

I mean, if there is no movie, then there is no movie CMF series, which means we would get a regular series instead :laugh:

11 hours ago, Robert8 said:

I mean, if there is no movie, then there is no movie CMF series, which means we would get a regular series instead

Well, yes, I guess that can be a bittersweet plus, at least that's how I would feel about it. But still, regular CMSs will come irregardless of how soon or later, as a canceled cinematic movie just would be a damn shame. It's not just minifigures, but potential new parts and/or recolors that would be missed out on. I don't know what we are to expect from this movie, but it can't nothing we wouldn't be interested in, right?

7 hours ago, Pop Star c o said:

But there's still a chance they'll found other director.

Of course, that's definitely more likely than cancellation, but I'm still prepared for the worst.

I think you're all making more of a big deal of this than is really necessary. They've come this far, they aren't going to abandon everything just because one guy's not on the project anymore. Especially given the potential a racing LEGO Movie would have. I fully expect to see 'callback' sets including a Batmobile racer and some kind of Green Ninja Dragster, as well as something for Emmet and maybe a revised version of Wyldstyle's Super Cycle. To say nothing of all the other properties that could be involved to add publicity - an ECTO-(2? 3?) racecar, a DeLorean Time Racer, maybe even Anakin or Sebulba in a Pod Racer. This sort of project is something that TLG and WB alike can't and wouldn't just scrap. It's too big to fail, with or without Jorge Gutierrez.

9 hours ago, Feng-huang0296 said:

I think you're all making more of a big deal of this than is really necessary. They've come this far, they aren't going to abandon everything just because one guy's not on the project anymore.

Exactly, especially when you consider how far TLG has probably come along in the development of the film's tie-in sets, not to mention its marketing. But still, despite all that, I just don't want to be set up for disappointment if cancelation does happen, as unlikely as it may seem.

9 hours ago, Feng-huang0296 said:

Especially given the potential a racing LEGO Movie would have. I fully expect to see 'callback' sets including a Batmobile racer and some kind of Green Ninja Dragster, as well as something for Emmet and maybe a revised version of Wyldstyle's Super Cycle. To say nothing of all the other properties that could be involved to add publicity - an ECTO-(2? 3?) racecar, a DeLorean Time Racer, maybe even Anakin or Sebulba in a Pod Racer.

Kind of like this, but in Lego? :snicker:

5 hours ago, Digger of Bricks said:

Exactly, especially when you consider how far TLG has probably come along in the development of the film's tie-in sets, not to mention its marketing. But still, despite all that, I just don't want to be set up for disappointment if cancelation does happen, as unlikely as it may seem.

Kind of like this, but in Lego? :snicker:

. . . Yes! I mean, obviously without the virtual reality and a bit more diversity - obviously there's no need to focus exclusively on sci-fi style stuff for TBBR - but yes! :)

On 2/11/2018 at 2:10 PM, Feng-huang0296 said:

. . . Yes! I mean, obviously without the virtual reality and a bit more diversity - obviously there's no need to focus exclusively on sci-fi style stuff for TBBR - but yes! :)

We still haven't the foggiest idea of who may be in this movie, but it sounds like from what we've heard so far to be one of a Lego Movie-like scope in character diversity.

So, with that in mind, who and/or what would you hope to see in this movie in terms of characters, franchises, and themes? Would you be hoping for more licensed characters, or ones from original themes, past or present? How about returning characters from prior cinematic films, who do you feel and/or want to see appear in this movie?

And, since we were speaking of Ready Player One, here's the latest trailer for the film, which appears to show a lot more cameos than trailers before it. Also, a better look at the Iron Giant (looking at you @legonerd54321) and King Kong in this one too. Think about, a cinematic movie could be a way to give us the Lego Iron Giant we never did get with the rejected Ideas project. :wink:

5 hours ago, Digger of Bricks said:

We still haven't the foggiest idea of who may be in this movie, but it sounds like from what we've heard so far to be one of a Lego Movie-like scope in character diversity.

So, with that in mind, who and/or what would you hope to see in this movie in terms of characters, franchises, and themes? Would you be hoping for more licensed characters, or ones from original themes, past or present? How about returning characters from prior cinematic films, who do you feel and/or want to see appear in this movie?

I'maware that this is an open question, but I still want to throw in my two cents. 

If cameos and returning characters are a thing, it's inevitable that there'll be a Bat-racer driven by LEGO Batman. Probably a Ninja Roadster with Lloyd too.

Outside of that. callbacks to old themes would be epic. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for a Power Miners Drill Racer - the perfect way to appeal to older fans' nostalgia. Maybe something connected to the old Adventurers theme? Johnny Thunder was in the Lego Movie. 

Since licensed tie-ins are inevitable, and both Albus Dumbledore and Lord Voldemort have appeared already, I'd enjoy seeing Harry Potter. Why he would be driving a car is beyond me, but I'm sure they'll think of something.

But, for me the big one would definitely be another appearance from Sonic the Hedgehog to echo his Dimensions debut. Preferably with Tails riding shotgun. (If there's one thing that the LEGO Dimensions content for Sonic did for me, it was give me a desire to see official minifigures for Tails and Eggman.) After all, it only makes sense that the fastest thing alive would be part of a race. 

7 hours ago, Digger of Bricks said:

Feng-huang0296 came up with some very good suggestions but I think the Lego character that would fit in a racing movie like this more than anyone else is ROCKET RACER. Especially if The Billion Brick Race ends up being released in 2019 because that's Lego Racers's 20th anniversary. Also, him and Speed Racer could even have a little "Are we related?" sort of moment which would be mind blowing!

While licensed characters and cameos are seemingly inevitable for this installment, I'm personally hoping this film is rather very heavy on original characters for the most part. Perhaps this may not be the direction the development of this film is still taking plot-wise, but if anything, maybe writer Drew Pierce's comment about the movie's "blue collar Rocky vibe" can give us an idea of what sort of characters we may expect from this spinoff.

2 hours ago, Feng-huang0296 said:

Outside of that. callbacks to old themes would be epic. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for a Power Miners Drill Racer - the perfect way to appeal to older fans' nostalgia.

You know, just like how The Lego Movie was heavy on more of the Classic themes (City, Space, Pirates, Castle), perhaps this movie will more be a heavy-handed tribute to action themes of the 2000's (Agents, Power Miners, Aquazone, etc.). So yeah, I kinda can see something like that happening.

2 hours ago, Feng-huang0296 said:

Maybe something connected to the old Adventurers theme? Johnny Thunder was in the Lego Movie. 

Oh yeah, Adventurers themed tie-in sets for this movie would be great, especially if they veer more towards the Dieselpunk spectrum of things, style/aesthetics wise. :smug:

1 hour ago, RacerRabbit said:

Also, him and Speed Racer could even have a little "Are we related?" sort of moment which would be mind blowing!

Ah, a classic Mach 5 would be a great benefit to earn from a tie-in set for this movie. :thumbup:

Today it was announced Toy Story 4 will be released next summer

I don't think they would want this movie to go against Toy Story 4 :look:

Wasn't The Billion Brick Race originally going to be released late in the year anyway, though (like, November, say)? Whatever else happens with TBBR, I don't think its makers have any concerns about competition from anything coming out in summer.