On 12/26/2019 at 6:25 PM, LEGODrongo01 said:

Are we allowed to submit Photoshopped Stud.io renders? To make them look like photos

This is a photography topic, so I think we should stick to actual items

Hey everyone. I've been trying to improve my photography a bit, moving on from simply using a lightbox. I'm open to any constructive feedback, always wanting to learn more!

Sorry about the last post :wacko:

Lets try this again. Same premise different model - this is the excellent M-68 speeder moc by @barneius as seen in Solo. I built a simple garage setting for the background

I experimented with some different colored fill lights and minor post production effects to get a moody atmosphere. I also used a screen to insert the image of Corellia outside of the garage doors.

51866897522_d14c6d7dac_c_d.jpg

51866897627_40dcb18cf0_c_d.jpg

51868515100_fc7b578712_c_d.jpg

51867944178_f0792a6860_c_d.jpg

Edited by Themiddlebrick
I forgot where I was posting... derp

hi to all,
i'm not expert about image licensening... so, i'm asking here:

where i can find "free license" images to use as background for my Lego Star Wars photoshopping?

for example a "planet view" for one in-flight ship, or a landscape for a minifigs battle

7 hours ago, Rustinidiel said:

hi to all,
i'm not expert about image licensening... so, i'm asking here:

where i can find "free license" images to use as background for my Lego Star Wars photoshopping?

for example a "planet view" for one in-flight ship, or a landscape for a minifigs battle

For personal activity, I usually don't bother too much and will use and edit whatever Google Image Search provides and suits my needs; but if you want to be on the safer side considering licensing, as I do with anything work-related, I use www.pexels.com which is a large library of image assets that are free license or creative commons, most of them can also be used commercially without any hassle. It's mostly photography, so you will probably not find too many results for stuff like alien planets, but if you know your way around in Photoshop a bit, you can alter existing images just fine to suit your needs.

Edited by Cody Startale

9 hours ago, Cody Startale said:

For personal activity, I usually don't bother too much and will use and edit whatever Google Image Search provides and suits my needs; but if you want to be on the safer side considering licensing, as I do with anything work-related, I use www.pexels.com which is a large library of image assets that are free license or creative commons, most of them can also be used commercially without any hassle. It's mostly photography, so you will probably not find too many results for stuff like alien planets, but if you know your way around in Photoshop a bit, you can alter existing images just fine to suit your needs.

thanks a lot for your help!
yes, for my personal activity, i use google image too... but for example, if i want to sell one instruction on rebrickable, if i want make a cool picture with my model and a background, i think i must use a license-free images

1 hour ago, Rustinidiel said:

thanks a lot for your help!
yes, for my personal activity, i use google image too... but for example, if i want to sell one instruction on rebrickable, if i want make a cool picture with my model and a background, i think i must use a license-free images

Not that I'm an expert...but if I had to give my 2 cents.

Frankly I don't think people really care.

The only time its an issue is if you KNOW it belongs to someone else - the simplest thing to do is to ask for permission...minimum - give credit where credit is due.

Generally if you do that much - no ones going to lift a finger.

Its a very large grey area to be honest.

47 minutes ago, Kage Goomba said:

Not that I'm an expert...but if I had to give my 2 cents.

Frankly I don't think people really care.

The only time its an issue is if you KNOW it belongs to someone else - the simplest thing to do is to ask for permission...minimum - give credit where credit is due.

Generally if you do that much - no ones going to lift a finger.

Its a very large grey area to be honest.

properly because it's a gray area, i want to find a "secure solution"... than if i find a particular image to use, on deviantart or artstation, i'll ask the permission to the creator (making the credit if needed)... but if i can find a free way, it generates less stress

Look for royalty free images in google, or just google 'free space/cosmos view'.
You don't need to care about licenses really, because you can use someone else work for your own needs. Problem is if you want to sell it, or use commercially in other ways.
If you want cool background for photos I suggest looking through Hubble's Telescope collection - some really cool shots are out there.

Edited by MayItBe

You can find a lot of pictures (or artist impressions) of nebulas, planets, planet clusters, comets, etc. at good old wikipedia and every picture mentions its licence. You will also find public domain NASA pictures at wikipedia.

For some random space pictures just search wikipedia for stuff like Orion's Belt or Horsehead Nebula.

6 hours ago, MayItBe said:

Look for royalty free images in google, or just google 'free space/cosmos view'.
You don't need to care about licenses really, because you can use someone else work for your own needs. Problem is if you want to sell it, or use commercially in other ways.
If you want cool background for photos I suggest looking through Hubble's Telescope collection - some really cool shots are out there.

is right that the problem... if i want sell my model, using one background imagefor the "model preview"... that is a "commercial use"

Took a couple of pics recently and thought I'd share them here :)

Darth Vader'Execute Order 66''Hello'Commander Bacara