LegoDakin

10247 Ferris Wheel

How can I smoothen out the Ferris Wheel? I added a motor directly as Lego intended. Pehaps a slower speed with a RC/IR control?

Here is a video I made of my Ferris Wheel and Grand Carousel. I put my GoPro on the rides for a POV.

Love the Star Wars Carousel! Awesome work!

How can I smoothen out the Ferris Wheel? I added a motor directly as Lego intended. Pehaps a slower speed with a RC/IR control?

Here is a video I made of my Ferris Wheel and Grand Carousel. I put my GoPro on the rides for a POV.

Your Star Wars carousel is unbelievably creative! Thank you for sharing the video; I now visit it whenever I want to ride the Ferris Wheel as if I am a Lego minifigure! It is fun and feels amazingly real!

Yes, I believe that one of the few ways to reduce the swinging of the gondolas is to control the speed of the wheel with a IR receiver.

Edited by Gideon8

You could try to gear the wheel down but an controller can also be fun...

Thank you all very much for the (links to the) reviews, the videos, pictures, links and information! :classic:

Con:

- 180 Euros

- difficult to store and does need much place to store

- only 10 minifigures

- no "glow in the dark"-elements

- no trucks

- no additional stalls (apart from the minimalistic ice-cream stand)

Pro:

- although very small, even very nice ice-cream stand

- many gondolas

- huge

- excellent build

Although I listed more cons as pros, all in all this set is amazing! :wub:

I really hope that TLG will continue the Folk Festival theme with an exclusive set next year, too - but then please again with small additional stalls (and transport vehicles)! A carousel together with a shooting gallery and a candy or sausage stall would be perfect!

Klaus-Dieter

Edited by Klaus-Dieter

Thank you all very much for the (links to the) reviews, the videos, pictures, links and information! :classic:

Con:

- 180 Euros

- difficult to store and does need much place to store

- only 10 minifigures

- no "glow in the dark"-elements

- no trucks

- no additional stalls (apart from the minimalistic ice-cream stand)

The price would be either

a) even higher if they had included additional vehicles, booths and so on

or

b) the ferris wheel would be much smaller at this price point if they would've included all that stuff.

Just something to think about...

I see the price is very fair with the set and cant figure out any Cons. yet

The only con is that it does not come with a 48x48 base plate and it should.

The only con is that it does not come with a 48x48 base plate and it should.

True, i was up to mention this point as i forgot to mention it in my previous post...:-)

My wife and I built it last weekend.

It was a lovely build, nice to do with the two of us (we could split the build of the pillars, the wheel and the carriages).

The only fiddly bit was connecting the two halves of the wheel together, but, since we had four hands between us, it was no problem.

I do not agree that the set should be on a 48x48 base plate. The design of the base, leaving an empty space in the back feels right. With a base plate, one would have too much empty space. But that's personal opinion.

PS We motorised it as well, and it was good, but the speed was a bit too high in our opinion, with the default motor.

We'll work on that.

Edited by Withacee

My wife and I built it last weekend.

It was a lovely build, nice to do with the two of us (we could split the build of the pillars, the wheel and the carriages).

The only fiddly bit was connecting the two halves of the wheel together, but, since we had four hands between us, it was no problem.

I do not agree that the set should be on a 48x48 base plate. The design of the base, leaving an empty space in the back feels right. With a base plate, one would have too much empty space. But that's personal opinion.

PS We motorised it as well, and it was good, but the speed was a bit too high in our opinion, with the default motor.

We'll work on that.

Can u post some photos? :-)

Can u post some photos? :-)

I shall put them on my flickr in the next few days, and post the link here.

One serious problem with this set, as did DA, is the annoying decision of TLG to revert to one instruction manual for the whole set.

In this case, it was less of a problem, because the wheel and the pillars consist of two identical halves, but this makes it virtually impossible to build with two people. I loved the fact that the other modulars had one manual per floor.

Quik-E-mart has the same problem: one huge 250-odd page manual.

The pdf just doesn't work quite as well as the hard-copy.

We'll work on that.

I used the IR receiver and Remote from my High Speed Passenger Train and it works great for slowing it down.

May I ask when did you order it from S@H? Mine has not arrived yet because it has not been restocked yet.

I used the IR receiver and Remote from my High Speed Passenger Train and it works great for slowing it down.

Nice one, we've always wanted to see what this IR can do.

We'll check it out, thanks.

From what I read above, I consider myself privileged; in The Netherlands, we've had access to this set through lego.com since May 1st ("VIP access", normal access since June 1st). Delivery in 5 days.

Edited by Withacee

May I ask when did you order it from S@H? Mine has not arrived yet because it has not been restocked yet.

I have ordered mine from Bricklink :)

Got mine last week as well. It looks already big when seeing it in the LEGO store, but having it at home is just huge! It was a real fun build, even though the second have is a bit repetitive, but that's just the way a ferris wheel works, eh?

Now it's time to get my mixer out of the drawer and rebuild it! :)

Everybody should get this set. It's one of the best kits lego has put out in years. Blast to build, runs flawlessly and really adds to a city.

Your Star Wars carousel is unbelievably creative! Thank you for sharing the video; I now visit it whenever I want to ride the Ferris Wheel as if I am a Lego minifigure! It is fun and feels amazingly real!

Yes, I believe that one of the few ways to reduce the swinging of the gondolas is to control the speed of the wheel with a IR receiver.

I just used the power functions RC. Works great and you can adjust to any speed, remotely. It's way too fast just plugging the motor in. Nice combo with the carousel, that's a really nice looking build.

Found a solution for all those "Lego cup filler" transparent pieces

Love that! I'll probably do the same when I recolor mine. Still not a fan of the yellow/green/purple with light blue legs. Needs to be bolder colors in my opinion, but there's not many colors to choose from for the dishes that make the roof of each gondola. For solid 6x6 dishes we only have red, dark red, dark green, dark purple, dark orange, and lime (plus white/grey/black). So I'd like to go red, yellow, and not sure on the 3rd color. But if I switched to webbed dishes, I could go red, orange, and bright light orange. Then switch to darker blue legs and I think that could look good.

I was searching for the set but apparently you need power functions that aRe not included? How do you use it without power functions? And apparently you only need an engine and a batterybox? How do you control it then?

I was searching for the set but apparently you need power functions that aRe not included? How do you use it without power functions? And apparently you only need an engine and a batterybox? How do you control it then?

The wheel can be manually operated by turning the crank in the back.

The motor and battery pack are not included, but have to be bought separately. It's dead easy to build them into the set.

The battery pack has an on/off switch, and one for the direction in which the wheel turns.

One disadvantage is that the motor has a fixed speed. If you want variable speed, you need an extra thingy (a remote control of some kind), with which I have no experience.

Edited by Withacee