LegoDakin

10247 Ferris Wheel

Wow! Three new face prints, some new colors, and a well-executed action feature (and the opening doors on the pods were a nice surprise)! I like the way they hid the brick for hooking it up to PF. I'm sold.

Questions? Do you guys think that the Motor 8882 (now on sale on lego website) is too much for this beast? :) Any experience in trying to reduce the speed of the motor using the rechargeable battery (8878)? Does it have a "lego base" surface like the 8883 Motor? I put the 8883 on the Winter Village carrousel and had to use the "spiral" piece to reduce the speed. Advice?

The 8878 rechargeable battery box has speed control built-in. The orange round bit with the axle hole is control knob (you would have to supply an Technical axle or something similar to turn it. Seems like an expensive battery box to run a ferris wheel unless you plan to run hours non-stop at an event.

The 8882 XL motor has a bigger diameter than the 8883 M-motor. From the video, it looks like the drive axle is at a level of three bricks high. I don't think you'll be able to mount the XL inline with it. I think you'll have to make a motor mount in order to attach it.

Edited by dr_spock

$200, 2464 pieces, 12 gondolas that can fit 3 figs max, 10 figs with cool prints, ICE CREAM!!!, and neatly-set functions (dat rubber wheel turning the eye)... Jamie, you've just made a winner!

Edited by XAxles

Yeah, £150 is fine for the price, I was worried it was going to be £200.

The new tree design is amazing. Can't wait to get this!

Thank you very much Dr SpoK!!!! Would you foresee the necessity of modifying the original power function layout due to the high speed provided by the 8883 M-motor?

This set is amazing ... also happy that it's 'only' 179.99 € which makes my decision of buying it even more easy.

Also could someone please rename the topic with an appropriate title that actually makes sense? I'm suggesting 10247 Ferris Wheel

The model and design itself looks great however the colour scheme feels dull. I really like how Jaime has as made the feature of turning the entire Ferris Wheel. It's a pass from be simply because I prefer detailed display models for me it would have to be an outstanding display piece like the Grand Carousel. It looks as if LEGO are going for a different approach with these Fairground sets; direct to consumer playsets with plenty of accessories and playability rather than being outstanding display pieces. It's not something that screams purchase me!

$200 is steep, but after watching the video and seeing the photos, I am very interested. This Saturday, I plan on going to the Lego Store with my boys. They might be the only ones coming home with something while I save up for this thing.

Great new (and highly anticipated) set.

However, although most people refer to this set as a sequel to the Mixer set, I personally believe that it will look great next to the Grand Carousel (10196 - "Merry-Go-Round") set!!

A must have for many AFOL's (including myself)!

Thank you very much Dr SpoK!!!! Would you foresee the necessity of modifying the original power function layout due to the high speed provided by the 8883 M-motor?

You can connect the M motor to a PF IR receiver then use a speed remote controller from a train.

On this set up, you can actually control the speed as you like even if you use an ordinary battery box

Anyone curious about the use of plates instead of a base plate? Do you think that could outcome future large sets (i.e. modulars)? Probably just reading too much into this. Talking about baseplates how to get the trans 16x16 baseplate that appears in the video ^^?

Still a nice set, will be hard to resist, wallet might be able to handle it, but I'm lacking available room...

Thank you CisFran! I cannot wait! I also want to see some pics from the guys here with the Mixer + winter village carousel + ferris wheel...It will be brilliant and $$$$. Ha

I would love this set, but my wallet say otherwise :laugh: I love the ice cream cone printed tile, very useful piece, and the ice cream scooper idea is ingenious. The set itself looks massive and would look great displayed anywhere. I'm not sure if this is better than the Fairground mixer, because the ferris wheel is better for display, but the mixer is better space wise. Botha re amazing for play though. (Maybe the ferris wheel is better for play though.) :tongue:

Anyone curious about the use of plates instead of a base plate? Do you think that could outcome future large sets (i.e. modulars)? Probably just reading too much into this.

It's not exactly a new development - everything except modulars and world buildings like the Sydney Opera House have been done on plates rather than baseplates for several years now. The baseplate is one of the basic rules of what makes a modular a modular; it's not going away. If anything, the modular building line has helped breathe new life into baseplate production by introducing several new colors.

Edited by Tragic Banjo

That is one AWESOME set, that little ice cream vendor stand is cute........reverse engineering time. :grin:

Only downside is you need to buy power function parts for it separately ? :hmpf_bad:

You're welcome. I guess we'll have to wait until the instructions come out or someone power functions theirs to see. It appears to be designed with the M-motor in mind so the LEGO folks would have geared it to rotate at an appropriate speed.

That is one AWESOME set, that little ice cream vendor stand is cute........reverse engineering time. :grin:

Only downside is you need to buy power function parts for it separately ? :hmpf_bad:

Including Power Functions would increase the price for those who don't need or want it.

It looks as if LEGO are going for a different approach with these Fairground sets; direct to consumer playsets with plenty of accessories and playability rather than being outstanding display pieces.

I think the majority of buyers would think this is an excellent display set! I know I do!

Yeah, Power Functions are a damned-if-you-do-damned-if-you-don't kind of feature. You either don't include them, so the people that want them have to buy them separately, or you do include them, so the people that don't want them have to pay extra for a feature they won't use. But I suspect that, like the Mixer, this will also be sold in a bundle with PF on S@H.