LegoDakin

10247 Ferris Wheel

Maybe they'll keep the appropiate polybag for when this thing is available to non-VIP customers? Or perhaps it's a 'hidden' bonus upon purchase?

Much like the Mini Cooper last year, where you got the mini mini cooper with an early VIP purchase...

Edited by Humdrum

I'm a little disappointed it doesn't fit on a truck. I love the mixer for being on a truck. Also, 199 dollars wil definitly mean 220+ euros in the Netherlands. I will decide when I've seen the official pics.

It does fit on a truck, but just like in real life it has to be completely disassembled... ;) The Mixer was meant to be one of those rides that actually largely folds out of a trailer. Ferris wheels almost never are, in real life. So it's a pretty accurate set in my eyes.

But, wow, what a big set. As with the town square, Lego seems to be inclined to rapidly increase the size of this kind of sets. I'm wondering if they might have bitten of a bit too much this time. I mean, both this set and the new town square appeal to kind of the same demographic within the Lego-fan-community and expecting them to pay 2 x 200 (+?) euro in one year...

Here's a comment I found at Brickset. He has a good grasp about what the mechanics of this set will be.

"Interesting drive mechanism. It looks like you have rubber-band suspesioned wheels mounted on two of the legs on the right side (when standing in front of the Ferris Wheel). One of theese wheels are conected with a drive shaft coming from under the floor of the construction. Underneath the floor you also see a drive shaft going from left to right in the picture. I suspect you will find a manually drive-machanism on the back side of the Ferris Wheel. Most likely the wheel can be motorized with a separate motor. I have the same feeling as when I first saw the Fairground Mixer: I am not sure what to think about this. Knowing myself and Lego I am pretty confident that after seing the release-video and more pictures this will turn out as a great model"

And another commenter found a Ferris wheel that's similar to 10247.

Oktoberfest_2005_-_Riesenrad.jpg

That's pretty close! I don't care about transportation, but I think the baseplate is the least convincing part. Most fairs (at least those that include Mixer trucks) are on parking lots, so why a grassy hill?

Most fairs (at least those that include Mixer trucks) are on parking lots, so why a grassy hill?

I'm guessing Highlands Fair.

I suppose, but it would have been nice if the two fairground sets went together better than they do. Isn't it supposed to be the warm months' Winter Village theme? Whatever the case is, I definitely want to get this set, and I can't wait for the designer video.

That's pretty close! I don't care about transportation, but I think the baseplate is the least convincing part. Most fairs (at least those that include Mixer trucks) are on parking lots, so why a grassy hill?

I worked as a carnie for a traveling group for a number of years back in high school. We went to all sorts of community festivals and fundraisers all summer. From my experience (midwest, USA), the parking lots were used for parking :) The carnival rides were always set up in the grass. They didn't want us driving stakes (tie downs, grounding rods, etc) through the asphalt, and if there was anything set up on pavement, it was smaller booths, not the big heavy rides.

I suppose, but it would have been nice if the two fairground sets went together better than they do. Isn't it supposed to be the warm months' Winter Village theme? Whatever the case is, I definitely want to get this set, and I can't wait for the designer video.

I will agree that they don't go together well, since one is a big permanent set and one's mobile. It'd be hard to replicate many other mobile rides though, so I guess they're still feeling their way a bit. The mixer last year was less expensive and gets a feel for the market demand, and now we've got a bigger set to continue the market testing. Maybe next year (if this one does well) we'll get a big roller coaster? :grin:

Agree with the comments that, to go along with the Mixer, it should have a "traveling" moto...Disappointed...We still may be surprised, lets hope.

Too much black - and a horrible clash with white.

I agree with the inner body having too much black.

Would be more nice if it would be in white...

Wow. Just wow. It's perhaps the most perfect combination of LEGO minifigure scale bricks and Technics in regular sets so far. Glad that LEGO go into a very correct direction.

The initial set should be the Merryground, although for unknown reason, LEGO didn't immediatedly design more following sets.

I saw some videos with foldable ferris wheels.There must be at least four heavy load trucks.So there will be dozen of bricks wasted for trucks and one small ferris wheel, because there cannot be possible do big foldable ferris wheel in lego form.

I actually doesnt see fun factor in foldable fairground attractions, fairground mixer is for kids but this seems to be for adults .No offense...

I've started trying to reverse engineer the Ferris Wheel on LDD: 10247 Ferris Wheel LDD WIP

Interesting observations:

• The Ferris Wheel uses both the minifigure ring (from LoTR) and the minifigure neck bracket as non-standard Technic bushings.
  • Several parts seem designed to be in compression: the outer ring of the wheel (due to the minifigure neck brackets on every other strut) and the trusses holding up the wheel (which would have to be slightly in compression to attach to the base at half-module intervals). Neither of those will likely have much of an effect on the set itself, since they're well within reasonable expectations of flexibility, but they're certainly a pain in LDD.
  • I couldn't add them in LDD, since they're not available yet, but it seems that the axle holding the wheel on uses the new Technic gatling launcher (from this year's Bionicle and Star Wars sets) as a spacer. At first I was excited by the prospect that it was using those as a turntable/bearing, but the way they're attached to the hexagonal Technic plates at the center of the wheel would not seem to permit the center to spin independently.

Other than that, it's just a heck of a lot more impressive than the last one. Twelve gondolas instead of eight means that the structure is based on much more complex and interesting hexagonal connections. The wheel is rotated from the outer ring (like a real Ferris Wheel), rather than the center axle itself being driven. The gondolas are minifig-scale and even feature opening doors. And the base itself seems impressively complex, from what little we can see of it. I never got the Fairground Mixer last year, but I just might have to get this beauty!

Wow. Just wow. It's perhaps the most perfect combination of LEGO minifigure scale bricks and Technics in regular sets so far. Glad that LEGO go into a very correct direction.

The initial set should be the Merryground, although for unknown reason, LEGO didn't immediatedly design more following sets.

If you're referring to the Grand Carousel, that seems too fancy to fit in with a carnival/fairground theme. But a new version of a carousel would be nice.

I also want a rollercoaster!

Looks nice, bur I probably won't buy it. Haven't got the space nor the money.

well i've seen better big sets than this wheel, really. Maybe there are some great details we can't see in this picture, but as for now, it looks kinda ... ... unattractive to me...

Just simply awesome! Thanks Nesquik. :classic:

Edited by WhiteFang
Remove image quote

Will definitely get it, but might wait for sales. Always wanted a ferris wheel in my city, and now I will finally have one!