Sign in to follow this  
sweetsha

[MOC][The Hobbit] Smaug's awakening

Hi everyone,

First big try with a licenced theme - I wanted to recreate a famous scene from The Hobbit, the awakening of Smaug :

16896283105_b791bdd814_c.jpg

It was created to be displayed in 2 Lego events in France, I wanted to show a much more frightening dragon than the official one :wink: (and slightly bigger ^^)

Hardest part of the build was to deal with the weight and orientation of the neck and head.

Bad day for Bilbo :

16895294881_4e2cdc24ec_z.jpg

Details for the dragon's head (maybe some improvements will be done for the eyes) :

16710120309_3d6cb64f39_z.jpg

The shape of the head is maybe not very movie-accurate but it was recognized by the audience, that was enough for me :classic:

A last pic, with a look at the dragon's mouth :

16688931247_e86a6bf191_z.jpg

Hope you'll like it :classic:

Edited by sweetsha

Absolutely love it! Great use of parts. I keep on trying to figure out how you did this. Little Bilbo's face says it all!

Very clever. Definitely a more frightening situation than the standard Smaug. I think brick-built is the only way to go for Smaug if you want "realism."

Keep up the good work. I should look into this for a show. Any tips on how to build a dragon?

Fantastic work :wub:

I love your brick-build Smaug - he really looks amazing. Furthermore the pillar looks great, too!

Edited by Balbo

Awesome build but I think you could have added more to the wings since they look fairly flat. Overall, I think it looks pretty good! :thumbup:

Thanks for all your comments :blush:

Any tips on how to build a dragon?

Well, I'm no dragon expert but for this one I started with the neck to have a strong structure that could handle the weight of the head - and also to have an idea of how big the head and body should be.

Then the most intersting part was the head, nothing really complicated regarding the build itself, I started with the mouth and tried to have something that looked like a dragon ^^