ZCerberus

Slave I Retrospective and UCS Comparison

ZCerberus,

thanks a lot for this read! It was enjoyable, informative, and thought provocing. So it was everything I like. The fantastic pictures are a highlight, too.

Let me just disagree on a single point: the scepticism about a UCS set holding minifigs and being on minifig scale. As long as the chosen ship or vehicle is big enough, this is actually a plus in my opinion. I would give my firstborn for a UCS AT-AT at true minifig scale, but that would be enormously large even for a UCS set. (Assuming a minifig represents an average male at 1,80m, or at least someone between 1,60m and 2,00m).

The Slave One is just big enough to look good on minifig scale, without being overly big for a Lego set. If anything, I'd complain that the current Slave One is too small to be minifig scale, closer to Lego System scale (which is always scaled down).

I think you maybe making my point instead of disagreeing with me. I think my initial feeling was disappointed because other UCS fighters have been so clearly larger than minifig scale while this one was not. Again, it isn't the first UCS that was somewhat minifigscale- it is just not necessarily what I would have hoped for.

15 years old or not, for me 7144 is still the best! That may be nostalgia speaking, though ;)

Must be. It is the only reason anyone could ever think that without requiring hospitalization.

I really appreciate all the work that has gone into making this comparison, and was an absolutely fascinating read from start to finish. I can really see how far the Slave I design has progressed from those early days (I can't get over how bad 7144 looks, only exaggerated by the superior later versions, but since the first curved slopes that are now almost a staple and essential brick in starship building were still at least a year away, I can almost forgive it. Almost).

I personally like 75060 the best, but I might be biased given that it is the only Slave I model that I own. And it's version of Boba Fett is easily the best for me.

The only thing that feels incomplete though is the lineup of Fett minifigures. I completely understand why that's the case since we're only comparing figures from System scale Slave I sets, so in that respect it is complete, so nothing to do there really :classic:

Good job though, I'd love to see more retrospective comparisons like this :thumbup:

Great job! 75060 is my first UCS set and it is great. Amazing how Lego design has changed over the years!

Ooof. A rather scathing review of the 7144 Slave 1 eh? :grin: I think I may need hospitalization, but I rather like it's old world charm--you just don't get that from the new sets. Although I'm sure a large part of my fascination with it relates to the fact that it was one of the first sets I can remember that "got away" from me (like almost the entire Batman 1 wave!). So it'll always have a special place in my heart...or mind from now on.

Another interesting point to bring up is about Jango's Slave 1--the only version I own. Did you consider playability and the swoosh factor with that one? I always remember that one for it's horrible structural integrity. That dumb bomb section always resulted in the entire ramp section to fall completely off since it's a heavy chunk held by weak hinges turning in a poor manor. Uh that set! Have you experienced this? I know others have.

--

Those points aside, this is an amazing retrospective! Rarely if ever do you see images like this, where you have all the versions of an identical design source in one spot. It really seriously goes to show how much Lego has changed over the years--not just in design style, but in parts usage, color, emphasis, everything. Make more please!

Another interesting point to bring up is about Jango's Slave 1--the only version I own. Did you consider playability and the swoosh factor with that one? I always remember that one for it's horrible structural integrity. That dumb bomb section always resulted in the entire ramp section to fall completely off since it's a heavy chunk held by weak hinges turning in a poor manor. Uh that set! Have you experienced this?

Yes, that can happen. The version following that, 6209, had the same mine compartment, so it was similar in strength. 8097 wasn't much better because that same "grip" area had the Han holding area. It could also break if gripped too hard.

Nice comparison review ZCerberus!

This made me actually aprreaciate the second Boba's slave I more, it's actually even less different from the newer one than I thought.

That being said, I think I see the correction on the whole comparision-front shot. You've replaced the yellow 1x2 tiles with their printed counterparts, if I'm correct.

The yellow tiles on each side of the cockpit of Jango's Slave 1 were replaced, but I don't know if that's a printed piece,

That being said, I think I see the correction on the whole comparision-front shot. You've replaced the yellow 1x2 tiles with their printed counterparts, if I'm correct.

Correct. Kudos to you!

Thanks for the comparison. 7144 brings back some fun memories. i was visting my nephews during my Dark Ages. I went wild with their multiple buckets of LEGO. I found a chunk of Slave I here and there. Somehow I managed to reassemble it. It wasn't enough to pull me out of the Dark Ages though.

Picture%2025622_zps0xkqwt10.jpg

Looks like I made some MOCs too before I knew what was MOC. :laugh:

I'll try to get that for you. I am out of town for a few days for a family event, do it may not be immediate.

Thank you. No rush as I'm alos out of town and know it's a lot of work.

Very nice review/comparison - thanks.

Like the reviewer, I prefer to MOC/MOD - 8097 is the closest Star Wars set I have on display to the original TLG build. The only major change I have made is cockpit detail. I remember a lot of Star Wars fans not getting it at the time because they thought is was just a recolored 6209, which it kind of is, with some subtle differences only. Not having 6209, I had no choice in which one to buy.

Whilst I do think that the USC Slave 1 is a more accurate shape, I feel 8097 is a more accurate size. For some reason TLG overestimates size for minifig scale UCS sets, as if they are basing dimensions on minifig width, rather than height. End result is next to UCS Slave 1 or USC Falcon, mifigs look 4 ft versions of the 6ft characters they are supposed to represent.

Yup, the comparison from the oldest to the most recent is totally laughable.

I hope Puffle Pal26 meant that the evolution of the LEGO builds of Slave I is laughable. The comparison that ZCerebus presents in his Slave I Retrospective and UCS Comparison is not laughable.... the comparison is **amazing** and it truly honors Masked Builder's UCS review. Would you agree that there is a direct correlation of size growth to how recent a version is?

Who gets photo credits for the side-by-side comparisons? ZCerebus or Masked Builder? Any chance of including or even editing in 2012's Celebration VI Exclusive mini Slave I and Boba Fett beside all those LEGO Slave I sets? Doing that would turn perfection to damn fine perfect!

My only disappointment on the UCS Slave I is the lack of automatic cockpit rotation with respect to the outside. Even the smaller sets have it. No reason why they couldn't design that into the set, right?

I hope Puffle Pal26 meant that the evolution of the LEGO builds of Slave I is laughable. The comparison that ZCerebus presents in his Slave I Retrospective and UCS Comparison is not laughable.... the comparison is **amazing** and it truly honors Masked Builder's UCS review. Would you agree that there is a direct correlation of size growth to how recent a version is?

I took it to mean the former, so there was no offense. Yes, to you second question- each version is a larger than the last.

Who gets photo credits for the side-by-side comparisons? ZCerebus or Masked Builder? Any chance of including or even editing in 2012's Celebration VI Exclusive mini Slave I and Boba Fett beside all those LEGO Slave I sets? Doing that would turn perfection to damn fine perfect!

Credits? Republic credits are no good out here. I need something more real!

Seriously though, while credit isn't that which we seek we each took our own photos. Much of the push for me to do this parallel review is that I have the minifig Slaves for comparison while Masked had the experience to do a "proper" Reviewers Academy review. I do not have the celebration version, though as only 1,000 were produced. If I did, I think I would be tempted to leave it in the can.

I would only need to Bricklink one piece to build one myself though. I think I would have left it out anyways as it was never intended to be any sort of minifigure illusion type scale so it may not have quite fit. I also don't technically have that Boba version, though I have the desert skiff version which is essentially the same with a different face- and I have the face from several storm troopers lying about.

Nice review! It amazing to see what Lego has gone from when it started, to now.

Thank you. No rush as I'm alos out of town and know it's a lot of work.

You can find the display stand and a LDD file here

While I was not intending to necromance this thread, I was adding something to my photostream on Flickr when I saw the Slave 1 family picture and dropped back in on this thread.

I noticed this liner:

15 years old or not, for me 7144 is still the best! That may be nostalgia speaking, though ;)

And while I would have chalked this up to the thoughts of a crazy (or sarcastic) person, I looked more closely at the profile and see the poster may have some legit insight into Slave 1 design. Thanks for checking in with us Burkhard!

wow, great in-depth look on this ship over the years. As I just picked up my UCS Slave-I, reading this I can't wait to assemble it!

Wow, this was a very interesting read. Boba Fett is and always has been one of my favorite Star Wars characters. Lego has certainly improved on the craft since its first release years ago. The only one I personally own is the 2010 edition of the Slave I, but this is really pushing me towards getting the UCS edition, which I've been swinging towards for a while. Seeing how different parts of the models have developed and improved over the years is very interesting. The cockpit windscreen really is a signature of the model, I don't entirely see how they can improve on that with future versions, and the UCS edition will of course be the "be-all end-all" of the Lego Slave I.

Wow, this was a very interesting read. Boba Fett is and always has been one of my favorite Star Wars characters. Lego has certainly improved on the craft since its first release years ago. The only one I personally own is the 2010 edition of the Slave I, but this is really pushing me towards getting the UCS edition, which I've been swinging towards for a while. Seeing how different parts of the models have developed and improved over the years is very interesting. The cockpit windscreen really is a signature of the model, I don't entirely see how they can improve on that with future versions, and the UCS edition will of course be the "be-all end-all" of the Lego Slave I.

And if they make a Boba Fett movie, LEGO will have to release new one...I will be interested to see how they can improve the design on a smaller scale. (or, if I want to be really mean, they can just re-release this UCS set, with slightly updated minifigs :devil: )