darkrebellion

Future Star Wars Sets

2 hours ago, Segata Sanshiro said:

If we do get another UCS/Master Builder playset style set, I'd love a Jabba's Palace.  The last one was what, 2012?  It was a great set, especially combined with the rancor pit, but something of a larger, more detailed design would be great.  A lot of great exclusive minifig potential as well.

We probably won’t get another Jabba’s palace for a long time, since that controversy with 2012 version.

3 hours ago, benderisgreat said:

We probably won’t get another Jabba’s palace for a long time, since that controversy with 2012 version.

I forgot all about that.  It's pretty appalling for critics to say LEGO is promoting racism because a fictional character's fictional home slightly resembles a religious landmark.  I can understand the reasoning behind LEGO pulling it though, it's just best to avoid controversy, especially when at the end of the day LEGO is all about having fun. 

Anyhow, perhaps a larger Sail Barge then.  With a couple of skiffs, sarlacc pit, and detailed interior section or two where Jabba and Leia's scenes took place.  You can still have a lot of the minifig opportunities there too.  Though I have heard that Lucasfilm no longer licenses the Slave Leia look, so that could be a big issue.

Edited by Segata Sanshiro
Added details

I think it would be cool if LEGO made sets similar to 7283 Ultimate Space Battle. It's nice to get multiple ships in a single set, but they hardly ever release star wars sets like that anymore. The last one I can think of was 75150 Vader's TIE Advanced vs. A-Wing Starfighter from 2016. I would totally buy sets that included about 3-5 ships in it if LEGO made them.

I would like to see some larger sets that can be used for army building such as a set with a few vulture droids and droid trifighters fighting a few ARC-170's or V-19 Torrent's. Or maybe even some two pack sets of a good guy vs bad guy, like a TIE Fighter vs X-Wing or Tie Interceptor vs A-Wing. Or maybe even some sets with ground vehicles like one with two AAT's and an AT-TE, or an AT-AT with some snowspeeders. 

I feel like these larger battle sets would be quite popular but on the other hand they would be pretty expensive.

58 minutes ago, PickleManDan said:

I think it would be cool if LEGO made sets similar to 7283 Ultimate Space Battle. It's nice to get multiple ships in a single set, but they hardly ever release star wars sets like that anymore. The last one I can think of was 75150 Vader's TIE Advanced vs. A-Wing Starfighter from 2016. I would totally buy sets that included about 3-5 ships in it if LEGO made them.

I would like to see some larger sets that can be used for army building such as a set with a few vulture droids and droid trifighters fighting a few ARC-170's or V-19 Torrent's. Or maybe even some two pack sets of a good guy vs bad guy, like a TIE Fighter vs X-Wing or Tie Interceptor vs A-Wing. Or maybe even some sets with ground vehicles like one with two AAT's and an AT-TE, or an AT-AT with some snowspeeders. 

I feel like these larger battle sets would be quite popular but on the other hand they would be pretty expensive.

I think lego need to return to the strategy you refer to. 

Waves used to have sets albeit separate ones unlike what you wish for, where you could create battles. 

Promising that a Tie Dagger and X-Wing are in this winter wave- I’m always more inclined to buy sets that go together.

To tackle the ‘expensive’ element battle packs are a great source to do so aswell. 

Would love a ROTS wave that gives a brand new Arc-170 for example with a a separate Vulture Droid. 

Just my opinion.

That works for small-medium ships like the Jedi Interceptor and Vulture Droid in 2005, but the starfighters have mostly moved into such high price brackets that I think it would really hurt sales to package them together. (Back in 2016 that strategy was blamed for hurting sales of 75150 with the Rebels A-wing and the TIE Advanced).  I'll buy an X-wing and a TIE Fighter packaged separately, but I'll wait for a 20% discount on each. Total is $150 minus the discounts, but those are reliable.  In contrast, the $100+ sets are rarely discounted by Amazon or Walmart or Lego itself, so a two pack of large modern starfighters would cost more than two single ships, and a three pack would be even more expensive.  Two packs work fine if the total price is still moderate, which means you have to keep them to small ships like Jedi fighters and A-wings.

On 9/17/2019 at 10:40 PM, benderisgreat said:

There was not controversy...just some stupid people blaming LEGO for something inspired by the movie from the fictional place and time.

2 hours ago, Mr. Cube said:

There was not controversy...just some stupid people blaming LEGO for something inspired by the movie from the fictional place and time.

You can call it whatever you want, but it was bad publicity for Lego and they don't want any of that.

I feel like we’re more likely to see the TIE Interceptor remade over Vader’s TIE Advanced, but hey I’m not LEGO so I don’t I own what would be the better move on their behalf. 

Someone mentioned a UCS Speeder Bike? Would be cool, but there’s other smaller-scale UCS sets that should come first... especially since we just got the constraction figure + vehicle set (which is great btw, I display it with the rest of my UCS sets) How would a UCS speeder bike be any different to that one? Also, it would look kind of naked without the pilot. 

I’d love to see more sets that have multiple ships in them, but only if they’re available in Australian retail stores. The A-Wing/TIE Advanced was online only, and at the RRP of $160 it wasn’t happening.

14 hours ago, icm said:

That works for small-medium ships like the Jedi Interceptor and Vulture Droid in 2005, but the starfighters have mostly moved into such high price brackets that I think it would really hurt sales to package them together.... Two packs work fine if the total price is still moderate, which means you have to keep them to small ships like Jedi fighters and A-wings.

LEGO needs to find a way to produce quality sets with less pieces (like they were doing 10 years ago) because the prices are getting insane. The designers are more than capable of designing the same ships with less pieces, just look at the A-Wing. 75175 from 2016 was 389 pieces and cost $80. 389 pieces is good, but just look at what it builds... it’s tiny. Now look at 75248 from this year. 268 pieces and will probably cost $45. It’s the same ship, more or less the same size and proportions, but has 100 less pieces and costs half as much. 

Here in the USA the 75175 released in 2017 for $40 and the 75248 will cost $30, but your point is still good.  The X-wings released in 2015, 2016, and 2018 are good models and fun sets, but at $80 US RRP I'm not sure they're $20 better than the 2012 model, which was only slightly smaller and less detailed at $60.  I'm having a hard time imagining how they could bump up the January 2020 X-wing to $90 with improvements to the ship itself, though side builds like a relatively large maintenance vehicle or a building could easily do that.

Edited by icm

I hope TLG keeps making these giant UCS sets like 75192 and 75252, which use the ultra thick boxes. I'd be surprised if we saw one in 2020, but there may be hope for 2021, since 75192 came out two years before 75252. 

I'd love a UCS AT-AT or a minifigure scale Jabba's Sail Barge with two Skiffs and a Sarlacc Pit.

1 hour ago, icm said:

The X-wings released in 2015, 2016, and 2018 are good models and fun sets, but at $80 US RRP I'm not sure they're $20 better than the 2012 model, which was only slightly smaller and less detailed at $60.  I'm having a hard time imagining how they could bump up the January 2020 X-wing to $90 with improvements to the ship itself, though side builds like a relatively large maintenance vehicle or a building could easily do that.

The 75218 costs €100 in Germany. 75102 (Poe) already was expensive at €90, compared to 75149 (Resistance) for €80. I wouldn't mind it selling at €90, if it's better than 75218 (engine f-up).

Just now, Terrasher said:

I hope TLG keeps making these giant UCS sets like 75192 and 75252, which use the ultra thick boxes. I'd be surprised if we saw one in 2020, but there may be hope for 2021, since 75192 came out two years before 75252.

Since the Death Star will leave us in 2020, looking at the LEDO DS history a new one in 2021 would be no surprise. *TADAAA* Thick box :)

7 hours ago, Terrasher said:

I'd love a UCS AT-AT or a minifigure scale Jabba's Sail Barge with two Skiffs and a Sarlacc Pit.

I would love both sets, though they'd both be huge at minifig scale so they would definitely come close the price point we've seen the Falcon and SD at.  I also don't know if the Sail Barge would sell all that well for LEGO to justify it, it's just not as iconic as the MF, SD, or AT-AT are. Then again Hasbro was successful with getting backers for the 3.75" Sail Barge so who knows. 

I don't think a UCS/MBS Sail Barge needs to be in the same size and price range as the Falcon and Star Destroyer. Something closer to the Sandcrawler would be more appropriate.

The Eta-2 is my favourite ship out of the whole saga, a UCS version would be a day one purchase for me. Good opportunity to bring back printed astromech heads, too

What do you guys think the chances of an Ewok Village (10236) re-release are in the next few years? The Death Star was on the shelf for almost 8 years before the re-release and it's been over 6 years since 10236 was released. It seems like the first one sold well.

Thinking about picking it up but the minifigs are pretty dated. 

1 hour ago, Eaglefan344 said:

What do you guys think the chances of an Ewok Village (10236) re-release are in the next few years? The Death Star was on the shelf for almost 8 years before the re-release and it's been over 6 years since 10236 was released. It seems like the first one sold well.

Thinking about picking it up but the minifigs are pretty dated. 

Honestly probably pretty low; the Death Star was only "re-released" because it becaome pretty ubiquitous and they had to change the price to reflect inflation etc (and add updated minifigs). Other than that, nothing else from the UCS range has really been re-released without major updates.

So with the next SW movie after ep 9 3 years away, do you guys think LEGO will make sets from both Solo and Rogue One with missing characters? Like Dryden Vos, Saw Gerera and others? Or maybe remakes of already released sets are more likely? They will definitely have time for this with no new movies.

9 minutes ago, benderisgreat said:

So with the next SW movie after ep 9 3 years away, do you guys think LEGO will make sets from both Solo and Rogue One with missing characters? Like Dryden Vos, Saw Gerera and others? Or maybe remakes of already released sets are more likely? They will definitely have time for this with no new movies.

I think it depends on the direction of the Disney+ series. There may not be much reason to revisit the anthology films if much of what's missing ends up reappearing in the upcoming TV shows. The Cassian Andor series in particular is already tied to Rogue One and could easily bring back many characters from the film including Saw Gerrera.

7 hours ago, benderisgreat said:

No new movies but a number of Disney shows: Mandalorian, Andor, Kenobi and Resistance (though I doubt Lego will do any Resistance S2 sets). As wesker said, there is a good chance they will revisit places and people from the anthology movies. Whitaker seems to be available if his work on Rebels is any indication. Not sure about Bettany...

I for one would love to get Dryden, and I need more Mimban stuff. And the TIE Brute, AT-DT, the mines of Kessel.... Solo had so much to offer but it was a commercial and critical failure (and I don't know if the Lego sets did any better).

11 minutes ago, Flieger said:

No new movies but a number of Disney shows: Mandalorian, Andor, Kenobi and Resistance (though I doubt Lego will do any Resistance S2 sets). As wesker said, there is a good chance they will revisit places and people from the anthology movies. Whitaker seems to be available if his work on Rebels is any indication. Not sure about Bettany...

I for one would love to get Dryden, and I need more Mimban stuff. And the TIE Brute, AT-DT, the mines of Kessel.... Solo had so much to offer but it was a commercial and critical failure (and I don't know if the Lego sets did any better).

Honestly I doubt Lego will make more than 1-2 sets for each show. So this leaves a lot of empty space for new sets. Agree about Dryden, really would like a set with his yacht or a small 20-30$ set of final battle in his office with Han, Qi'ra and Dryden himself.

On 10/5/2019 at 7:04 PM, benderisgreat said:

Honestly I doubt Lego will make more than 1-2 sets for each show.

I am not sure about that. A lot depends on the success of the shows. If they fail like Resistance, we won't get many sets. But even Resistance got two. Initially Rebels was covered really well. If the Mandalorian lives up to the hype, I think Lego will take the chance. I would think TCW serves as a role model: a show that was well received when there was no movie. And look what Lego did with TCW; the good old days... Also, due to the timeframe can re-use many classic designs like they did with the AT-ST raider. 

To be sure, I am totally with you, and I too believe Dryden's office could be a nice little vignette set. But realistically Lego will go for what promisses the most profit and unfortunately that is not Solo right now, or R1.

But then, what do I know? I am surprised how many new moulds Lego produced for Solo only to be used in a singular set (the helmets of the patrol trooper, Mimban stormtrooper, and range trooper). I think a Mimban battlepack would have done really well judging from the response to the minifig as well as the scene in the movie, which was one of the few universally praised scenes afaik.

Hello,

So, since we only seem to be getting a very slow leak, if any, of the 2020 sets I figured we could spend some time thinking what would be nice to fill upcoming years.

Especially since with no new films for a few years there is theoretically a bunch of space available.

Starting with some Microfighter ideas here.  Lego seems to like the idea, and they appear to sell well (especially if they have semi-unique mini-figs):

Galactic Empire

• TIE Fighter (Mini-fig: TIE Pilot)
  • TIE Interceptor (Mini-fig: TIE Pilot)
  • TIE Bomber (Mini-fig: TIE Pilot)
  • Tie Heavy (Mini-fig: TIE Pilot)
  • TIE Defender (Mini-fig: TIE Pilot or Admiral Thrawn)
  • Darth Vader’s X1 TIE Advanced (Mini-fig: Darth Vader)
  • Death Star (Mini-fig: Grand Moff Tarkin)
  • Death Star II (Mini-fig: Emperor Palpatine)
  • Imperial Star Destroyer (Mini-fig: Imperial Navy Captain)
  • Executor/Super Star Destroyer (Mini-fig: Imperial Navy Admiral)
  • Imperial Interdictor Cruiser (Mini-fig: Imperial Navy Crew)
  • Imperial Lambda-Class Shuttle (Mini-fig: Imperial Shuttle Pilot)
  • Imperial Zeta-Class Shuttle (Mini-fig: Imperial Cargo Pilot)
  • Imperial Sentinel Landing Craft (Mini-fig: Sandtrooper)
  • AT-ST (Mini-fig: AT-ST Driver)
  • Imperial Assault Hovertank (Mini-fig: Hovertank Pilot)
  • Imperial Troop Transport (Mini-fig: Stormtrooper)
  • Imperial Speeder Bike (Mini-fig: Scout Trooper)

Rebel Alliance

• A-Wing (Mini-fig: Green Squadron A-Wing Pilot)
  • B-Wing (Mini-fig: Gray Squadron B-Wing Pilot)
  • Red 2 T-65 X-Wing (Mini-fig: Wedge Antilles, X-Wing Pilot)
  • Red 5 T-65 X-Wing (Mini-fig: Luke Skywalker, X-Wing Pilot)
  • Gold Leader Y-Wing (Mini-fig: Gold Leader, Y-Wing Pilot)
  • Z-95 Headhunter Fighter (Mini-fig: Rebel Pilot)
  • Millennium Falcon (Mini-fig: Han Solo)
  • Tantive IV Corellian Corvette (Mini-fig: Princess Leia)
  • Hammerhead Corvette (Mini-fig: Rebel Alliance Naval Captain)
  • Nebulon-B Frigate (Mini-fig: Rebel Alliance Fleet Trooper)
  • Mon Calamari Cruiser – Home One (Mini-fig: Admiral Ackbar)
  • Mon Calamari Cruiser – Liberty (Mini-fig: Mon Calamari Naval Officer)
  • Alliance Gallofree GR-75 Transport (Mini-fig: Hoth Trooper)
  • Tydirium, Stolen Imperial Lambda-Class Shuttle (Mini-fig: Rebel Alliance Commando)
  • Rogue One, Stolen Imperial Zeta-Class Shuttle (Mini-fig: Bodhi Rook)
  • Landspeeder (Mini-fig: Tatooine Luke Skywalker)

Fringe/Non-Aligned

• Twin-Pod Cloud Car (Mini-fig: Bespin Cloud Car Pilot)
  • T-16 Skyhopper (Mini-fig: T-16 Skyhopper Pilot)
  • Jawa Sandcrawler (Mini-fig: Jawa)
  • Slave 1 (Mini-fig: Boba Fett)
  • Jabba’s Sail Barge (Mini-fig: Jabba the Hutt)
  • Desert Skiff (Mini-fig: Weequay Skiff Guard)

Old Republic (Clone Wars)

• Naboo Royal Cruiser (Mini-fig: Padme Amidala)
  • Naboo Fighter (Mini-fig: Naboo Pilot)
  • Republic Attack Cruiser/Venator Class Destroyer (Mini-fig: Republic Naval Officer)
  • Jedi Interceptor (Mini-fig: Obi-Wan Kenobi)

Separatists (Clone Wars)

• Separatist Dreadnaught (Mini-fig: General Grievous)
  • Trade Federation Battleship (Mini-fig: Nemoidian Commander)
  • Darth Maul’s Sith Infiltrator (Mini-fig: Darth Maul)
  • Jango Fett’s Slave I (Mini-fig: Jango Fett)
  • Separatist Shuttle (Mini-fig: Rune Haarko)

First Order

• First Order Star Destroyer (Mini-fig: First Order Officer)
  • First Order Troop Transport (Mini-fig: Captain Phasma)
  • Kylo Ren’s Shuttle (Mini-fig: First Order Shuttle Pilot)
  • First Order Tie Fighter (Mini-fig: First Order TIE Fighter Pilot)

Resistance

• Resistance Travel Pod (Mini-fig: Finn)
  • Resistance Shuttle/Lifeboat (Mini-fig: Resistance Pilot)
  • Resistance Bomber (Mini-fig: Resistance Bomber Pilot)
  • Resistance T-70 X-wing (Mini-fig: Jessika Pava)
  • Black Leader T-70 X-wing (Mini-fig: Poe Dameron)

Microfighter Dual Packs

• Tie Fighter & X-Wing Fighter (Mini-figs: TIE Fighter Pilot & Rebel X-Wing Pilot)
  • Tie Heavy & Kessel Run Millenium Falcon (Mini-figs: TIE Fighter Pilot & Lando Calrissian)
  • Tie Advanced & Millennium Falcon (Mini-figs: Darth Vader & Han Solo)
  • Star Destroyer & Tantive IV (Mini-figs: Imperial Navy Captain & Captain Antilles)
  • Slave I & Jedi Starfighter (Mini-figs: Jango Fett & Obi-Wan Kenobi)
  • Black Leader X-Wing & First Order Tie Fighter (Mini-figs: Poe Dameron & First Order Tie Pilot)