darkrebellion

Future Star Wars Sets

55 minutes ago, Brickweiser said:

Hoping for more character representation in Lego sets from Rogue One and more accurate representations at that

They've been doing pretty good at representation in recent sets so I think we'all continue to see this going forward in battle packs and other sets. I hope they continue to give us more alien prints as well like the rebel BP from last year.

I like the idea of cantina battle packs and it could make sense as lego could keep dropping them out every now and then then continuing on to Maz Kanata's place would be a great supply of some weird and wonder full mini figures

I would also love so see some droid packs too

I love the idea of character battle packs that include past minifigures they don't plan on including a main set for a long time or especially if they include characters they otherwise would never include in a mainline set.

Cantina Battlepack/Mos Eisely Battlepack 

Jabba's Palace Battlepack

Max Kanata's Castle Battlepack 

Coruscant Battlepack

Jedha Battlepack 

And in the case of battlepacks like the Cantina and Castle, it would be cool if the builds included could be attached to the actual sets. In the same way that the original Jabba's Palace had two attahments on either side.

My guess is that the bounty hunter battle pack is something of an experiment for TLG. If it succeeds, we might see more of them… after all, there are only so many variations on unnamed stormtroopers and soldiers that they can realistically put out… especially since the prequels seem to be out of favor. (Though I for one would like to see blue Senate Guards, Gungans, Geonosians, etc. make their way into future battle packs.) 

But even if the Bounty Hunters set is successful, I doubt we would see more than 1 out of 4 battle packs each year comprise named characters. And “successful" may be increasingly hard to achieve, when you consider that most battle packs get bought in multiples by AFOLs to build armies… how many multiples of cantina aliens, Jabba courtiers, etc. will you realistically want to own?

2 hours ago, jdubbs said:

My guess is that the bounty hunter battle pack is something of an experiment for TLG. If it succeeds, we might see more of them… after all, there are only so many variations on unnamed stormtroopers and soldiers that they can realistically put out… especially since the prequels seem to be out of favor. (Though I for one would like to see blue Senate Guards, Gungans, Geonosians, etc. make their way into future battle packs.) 

But even if the Bounty Hunters set is successful, I doubt we would see more than 1 out of 4 battle packs each year comprise named characters. And “successful" may be increasingly hard to achieve, when you consider that most battle packs get bought in multiples by AFOLs to build armies… how many multiples of cantina aliens, Jabba courtiers, etc. will you realistically want to own?

I was just thinking about this same thing yesterday. In my opinion, I feel like more people will purchase this set versus your regular troop battlepack, but I'd doubt people will be purchasing as many multiples as they would the troop builder packs. So I'm curious as to how it all weighs out in the end. That being said I'd probably take a pack of named characters over your faceless Joe's 90% of the time. Even more when they have new molds and prints. The bounty hunter pack really is a gift to the fans. Personally I'd feel like for the best of both worlds they don't make named character battlepacks, but instead add 20 or 25 dollar set featuring named/significant figures. That way battlepacks still function as troop builders satisfying those who build armies with battlepacks, but we still get named characters for relatively cheap. Plus with a slight bump in price it frees them up to offer new molds and printings. Though again as I said I hope they stay with named character battlepacks because 4 awesome characters for a cheap price is impossible to pass up. I'm just offering up some alternatives. Also experimenting with named packs was mentioned, what if for whatever reason with Episode 8, or more likely the Han Solo spin-off, has a large opportunity for another named character pack. So they are testing with this pack for a future movie pack. That seems possible. Another factor I wonder is what if they are giving us this as a gift for the slight raise in battlepack prices in the US. I could see that happening too. All this being said I'd like to see:

Ewok Pack: featuring Logray, Wicket, Pablo, Chirpu. (I'm sure I misspelled all of those)

Jedi Pack: featuring some "background" jedi, Kit Fisto, Ki-adu Mundi, Yaddle etc.

Clone Commander Pack: featuring some clone commanders like Bly, Cody, Fox etc.

Knights of Ren Pack featuring some of the knights of ren.

On March 19, 2017 at 6:15 PM, jdubbs said:

Of aliens? Are you kidding? That's extraordinarily useful for MOC's and builds, its how you flesh out scenes and if you don't do any of that it lets kids and AFOLs make cool figs from great body prints. 

I don't doubt that there are folks who will purchase multiples for the parts. But there are people who buy dozens and dozens of the (unnamed) battle packs to amass huge armies of Stormies, Hoth soldiers, etc. I don't see as many people doing the same to build up armies of Aqualish, for example. 

I think it would be really cool to see a Lego Trooper evolution pack.

Lego_Trooper_evolution.png

I currently have all but the Phase II Clone. still on the hunt for that one.

So since we won't get any Rebels sets this year, but since series will continue in season 4 we will probably get sets in 2018. So maybe a set based on "Twin Suns" episode is possible? Campfire with dewback and Season 3 Ezra, Maul and Obi Wan would be a good choice for a 30-40$ set. 

After watching Zero Hour Rebels episode it seems Maul's personal Gauntlet starfighter is now being used by Ezra. So does it mean we will finally get it as a set in 2018 since S4 of Rebels is coming? The "Nightbrother" could make a great set for 50$ and give us much needed updated characters like Ezra, Zeb and Sabine. And since the ship is now staying in the show making it as a set would make a lot of sense!

Edited by benderisgreat

I was looking for reference pics of the Fang starfighters the Mandalorians were using and wondered why there were none showing the wings tilting for landing. I never realised that was a different ship! Kom'rk class fighter/transport, apparently. I think both ships would make great sets. There can never be too many Mandalorians!

I still don't understand why Lego doesn't do the lego minifigure series "mystery packs" for Star Wars. They did Simpsons and other various "themes" in past series... it wouldn't be hard for them to do a series that is all really unique star wars minifigures. And we all know they would sell through the roof... to both kids and adults.

2 hours ago, thorin said:

I still don't understand why Lego doesn't do the lego minifigure series "mystery packs" for Star Wars. They did Simpsons and other various "themes" in past series... it wouldn't be hard for them to do a series that is all really unique star wars minifigures. And we all know they would sell through the roof... to both kids and adults.

I think it's because Hasbro own the license for action figures, Hence why Lego can't do their own CMF for Star Wars. (Or Marvel for that matter)

Edited by Tariq j

33 minutes ago, Tariq j said:

I think it's because Hasbro own the license for action figures, Hence why Lego can't do their own CMF for Star Wars. (Or Marvel for that matter)

That makes sense. It's still a bummer... as it would be a really fun method to get more mini-figures.

7 minutes ago, thorin said:

That makes sense. It's still a bummer... as it would be a really fun method to get more mini-figures.

Definitely, and not to mention we could get a lot of dual molded figures and slightly obscure characters who wouldn't normally appear in sets.

1 hour ago, Tariq j said:

I’m not 100% convinced that this is the case. Yes, Hasbro has an exclusive license to market posable Star Wars action figures in certain sizes… 3.75”, 6”, 12” (which they actually surrendered at some point to another company), but that doesn’t necessarily mean they have the exclusive license to produce any figure in any size. After all, TLG’s Star Wars license clearly covers its larger buildable figures, which are sold independently. And, TLG does release solo minifigs in polybags as promotional giveaways (which are sometimes sold in Lego Stores, if I’m not mistaken?)

The point of all this is to say, it may be that TLG simply doesn’t want to sell individual Star Wars minifigs on a regular basis. Its Star Wars line is evergreen, and TLG has to manage it for the long haul… unlike, say, The Simpsons or The LEGO Batman Movie. The minifigs included in Star Wars sets are key sales drivers for those  sets… releasing characters individually could easily cannibalize sales of future sets, or make it harder to put together compelling sets if the minifigs have already been released solo.

Also consider that the polybag-based Minifigures Series have mostly been “deluxe” minifigs with unique or uncommon parts, accessories, etc. There aren’t all that many Star Wars characters that benefit from this kind of treatment… 

On 08/03/2017 at 6:03 AM, Goonmo said:

I hope if we do get him, it's in something other than a Jedi Starfighter. Maybe and updated Palpatine's Arrest or something entirely new such as the Invisible Hand. I think the gap between the Han Solo movie and Episode 9 will give Lego a chance to catch up on some of the other movies.

I'd love the clone wars malevolence to be updated.

9 hours ago, jdubbs said:

I’m not 100% convinced that this is the case. Yes, Hasbro has an exclusive license to market posable Star Wars action figures in certain sizes… 3.75”, 6”, 12” (which they actually surrendered at some point to another company), but that doesn’t necessarily mean they have the exclusive license to produce any figure in any size. After all, TLG’s Star Wars license clearly covers its larger buildable figures, which are sold independently. And, TLG does release solo minifigs in polybags as promotional giveaways (which are sometimes sold in Lego Stores, if I’m not mistaken?)

The point of all this is to say, it may be that TLG simply doesn’t want to sell individual Star Wars minifigs on a regular basis. Its Star Wars line is evergreen, and TLG has to manage it for the long haul… unlike, say, The Simpsons or The LEGO Batman Movie. The minifigs included in Star Wars sets are key sales drivers for those  sets… releasing characters individually could easily cannibalize sales of future sets, or make it harder to put together compelling sets if the minifigs have already been released solo.

You may be correct there, I mean the term itself "action figure" is a marketing term/ploy used by toy companies so they're able to sell dolls to boys (as dolls is associated with more female products like Barabie etc.) By definition, Lego minifigures are not action figures as they aren't dolls, so whether they fit into the contract we don't know. 

17 hours ago, jdubbs said:

I’m not 100% convinced that this is the case. Yes, Hasbro has an exclusive license to market posable Star Wars action figures in certain sizes… 3.75”, 6”, 12” (which they actually surrendered at some point to another company), but that doesn’t necessarily mean they have the exclusive license to produce any figure in any size. 

I honestly think that Hasbro might have some exclusive rights to selling individual Star Wars figures. I thought that this was also the reason why Marvel and Star Wars funko pop figures were bobble heads to work around this. I would think that this would prevent Lego from selling a minifigure series, because I think it would do very well regardless of what figures would come in the series. Lego is able to sell constraction figures as buildable figures but lone minifigs might cut it too close.

8 hours ago, Goonmo said:

I honestly think that Hasbro might have some exclusive rights to selling individual Star Wars figures. I thought that this was also the reason why Marvel and Star Wars funko pop figures were bobble heads to work around this. I would think that this would prevent Lego from selling a minifigure series, because I think it would do very well regardless of what figures would come in the series. Lego is able to sell constraction figures as buildable figures but lone minifigs might cut it too close.

Disney is selling their own Die Cast Star Wars figures separate from Hasbro at Disney Stores, so Hasbro might not have the dominance it once had in the Star Wars toy market.

Anyways onto Lego, I really want to see a Rebels style Interidctor cruiser ship as a set! Classic Legends design in the new canon! 

With the release of Yoda's Jedi Starfighter, it's clear that LEGO is willing to make more sets for the 2008 Clone Wars series. What are some sets that you'd like to see from the show, whether they've been done before or never at all?

I'd like to see an updated version of the Mandalorian ship, and the Nu-class Republic shuttle.