TheBrickPal

LEGO Dimensions Discussion

They all look so brightly colored :snicker: i can't make em out, but i think i see Flash?

Maybe Thorin? Maybe :oh:

The picture is definitely fake. It wasn't posted on any official sites in my understanding. Plus, it wouldn't be very smart in terms of marketing to put a completely new hashtag that differs from the one every other teaser is using. And, notice how they didn't have an official Ghostbusters character reveal today... they only teaser posters all had their characters revealed. However, I'm confident they're in the game.

So is the Johnny Thunder one fake too?

I did notice that! I believe I read elsewhere that it is indeed the same voice actor for Batman that plays him in the LEGO Batman games, though I don't recall the source at the moment. Personally, I'd love it if Will Arnett were doing him again, but this will be great, too.

Ghostbusters would be perfect for a Team pack, with a mini-Ectomobile. Perhaps Stantz and Zeddemore?

Licensed themes I consider good or likely candidates for inclusion:

Ghostbusters

The Simpsons

Scooby Doo

Harry Potter

Jurassic Park

... and some wild cards:

Minecraft

Doctor Who

Homegrown LEGO themes I think are plausible or likely:

City

Castle

Minifigures

Friends

Elves

Bionicle

This is a good suggestion list!

As Joel is putting together the portal after dumping the pieces out, a couple of elements start to vibrate and jiggle around a bit. Joel says "well, that's not... normal," and then gets a reading with a PKE meter before proceeding. The PKE meter (PsychoKinetic Energy) meter is a piece of Ghostbustin' equipment.

Oh, no, Mixels should be a strong contender too, I'd guess. I just forgot about it when I posted those others.

Will Mixels be slightly too big for this scale?

ARGGGGHHHH LEGO worlds with no LEGO? ONCE AGAIN?!

Well if anything, that keeps consistency with some of these licenses' past LEGO TT games and makes the (assumingly still) completely LEGO TLM world unique and special.

Here is the extended cut as I can't find it at the start of the thread.

Now I just want MOAR of that game. And in particular, an option to buy on Lego S@H a custom-coded empty base I can put figs or mini-builds on. I wanna play as Der Stehg The Stig.

I'd prefer the Batman to be the serious Batman from his own series, not the LEGO Movie one.

LEGO worlds have been non-brick-built for almost every game except the LEGO Movie game. For the supposed scope of this, it would take way too long to render everything out of bricks.

So is the Johnny Thunder one fake too?

Yes, the Johnny Thunder one was fan-made. It wasn't malicious, though, just an unofficial Twitter role-play account joining in on the fun. They might not have even known what "#BreakTheRules" was teasing.

Yeah, I want Flash really badly to be in it. And maybe a Road Runner/Wile E pack with an Acme crate, meep meep? Definitely the Tazmanian Devil. (My disinterest in Disney Infinity has always chiefly been because it's not Looney Tunes Infinity.) :tongue:

And the Doctor Who and Scooby Doo would certainly be excellent, but I'm happy enough having the physical figures. The Doctor and his companion, Velma, will certainly get a spot of honor on my desk one way or the other, but baby tardis and baby mystery machine would be too good to pass up.

I'm trying to decide whether I want all, none, just the one's in my theme (DC) and the ones I don't have (Witch, Marty)... In any case I hope it does well but not well enough to make them complacent or think they can get away with those prices. (I thought it was generally thought that skylanders, while well designed and well made, make an absurdly greedy profit per figure, like the materials and the tech were not actually that high. I may be totally wrong, and that's just the haters.) I dunno though, I guess Lego's pricing makes sense if it's a $5 figure, a $3 model, and twice $3 of tech.

I think I agree with anyone who thinks that the exclusively RFId route and adherence to Tt gameplay (while you can play 150 characters included in several games that play just the same) is just settling for good enough. Grabbing up star power instead of reaching for the stars. I'd be lying if I said I have little interest in Gimli on a hoverboard :wub:, but also I really coulda gone for a game with classic themes, really deluxe diverse original figures (touching on old theme archetypes), remakes of some iconic figures, a small smattering of star power, with some visual recognition/customization features, and real building focus.

On the one hand the "this game will stay compatible with figures released throughout the life of the theme" is admirable, but on the other it makes me think they are NEVER going to innovate/evolve. (well, I guess that the first game can stay compatible with the figures even if there turns out to be a future game that tackles a different gameplay style with them)

The whole "fun pack" assortment seems to be accidentally listed under ZEUS FUN PACK on amazon - if you click on the picture for a bigger view, the assortment title is up in the top right. I was hoping that was a reason to expect the greek god, but it looks like it might just have been a code name, because the starter pack says ZEUS STARTER PACK. At least we have a ninja with lightning powers.

What about Johnny Thunder and Lord Sam Sinister? We just go Johnny in a TLM set, so they could re-use the hat mold, and Sinister wouldn't be that hard to do as a boss...

EDIT: forgot Sam's title

Edited by Murdoch17

Yeah, I want Flash really badly to be in it. And maybe a Road Runner/Wile E pack with an Acme crate, meep meep? Definitely the Tazmanian Devil. (My disinterest in Disney Infinity has always chiefly been because it's not Looney Tunes Infinity.) :tongue:

I would love to see the Looney Tunes too, but aren't they being made by a Lego clone at the moment (Character Builder or something like that I think)?

I'm not interested in this toy-to-game idea, but two things got me excited:

1) Back to the Future pack! It's great to see LEGO isn't done with the license. That hoverboard! :cry_happy::wub: Also love the new Unikitty. And the overall idea of many themes getting small packs with a figure and some cool mini builds is promising. Even though I hav never seen The Wizard of Oz, it's intriguing to get LEGO of a never-before established theme. Imagine the posibilities of which Warner Bros' IPs we could get.

2) Joel McHale in the trailer! :grin: Don't tell me I'm the only Community fan here.

I would love to see the Looney Tunes too, but aren't they being made by a Lego clone at the moment (Character Builder or something like that I think)?

Oh I wasn't aware but I'll take your word for it. But some themes seem to shuffle between license holders pretty quickly (marvel and cars both jumped from megabloks to lego, tmnt jumped from mega to lego and back, spongebob lego to mega, jurassic park kreo to lego, doctor who, scooby doo...), and since this is warner bros distributed and I know they want heavy representation and variety, I think they'd want to get Looney Tunes in whenever it flips, even if it's a little bit later.

In that pic of the top of the box, the 6th and 7th figures from the left in the top row look like Scooby-Doo and Shaggy to me. You can tell because one is all brown and is smaller and a different shape than the rest of the characters, and to his right you can see the reddish-brown pants, green shirt, and brown hair of Shaggy.

I just noticed that Unikitty has an open mouth on the box art, but a closed mouth on the actual figure. Do you guys think she might come with an alternate head like in the DDC and the SDCC sets? Then again, other figures don't completely match the box art either, like Emmet and the Wickhed Witch, so it might just be an approximate render of the character.

Also, do you think there will be any pre-order exclusives for this game?

I just noticed that Unikitty has an open mouth on the box art, but a closed mouth on the actual figure. Do you guys think she might come with an alternate head like in the DDC and the SDCC sets? Then again, other figures don't completely match the box art either, like Emmet and the Wickhed Witch, so it might just be an approximate render of the character.

Also, do you think there will be any pre-order exclusives for this game?

I assumed it was two faces, since they differed so significantly.

The New York Times report on Dimensions mentioned that Fox licensing plays a role, so Simpsons are all but confirmed.

I'm confused by the figs on the Starter Pack box. According to all official info, the pack only includes Gandalf, Batman, and Wyldstyle. Is it a checklist for other available packs?

I second the motion. Ultra Agents characters in the game would be beyond amazing to play as! Considering the longevity of the theme (supposedly ending after the third wave), it might not happen.

Edited by 8BrickMario

I noticed those details about the differences, but I've just been thinking the upper art is simply a character illustration, and doesn't necessarily reflect the exact printed expression on the figure - note how some of the packs' art have minifigure limbs bent in various ways possible in video games but not with actual physical minifigures. I assume the expressions are the same way.

I assumed it was two faces, since they differed so significantly.

The New York Times report on Dimensions mentioned that Fox licensing plays a role, so Simpsons are all but confirmed.

Ooh, nice catch!

I'm confused by the figs on the Starter Pack box. According to all official info, the pack only includes Gandalf, Batman, and Wyldstyle. Is it a checklist for other available packs?

It can't be anything else - or at least, it's certainly not an indication of actual minifigures included. Even if there were nothing else in the box, LEGO would never give us that many figures for only $99.99. Besides, minifigure elements are still elements, and get counted in the traditional LEGO piece count on the box front, which is clearly far too small for so many figures plus the portal and Batmobile. And of course we'd see them all on the box front if they were included.

That said, it's possible a bunch might already be included in the game. There must surely be other figures in there besides the ones we put in, after all - one can't think the base game will have just three characters wandering around in all these worlds.

But yeah, I think it's essentially a breakdown of LEGO figures available for the game (in terms of sets that include real, physical figures plus their virtual counterparts in-game) at launch (others will surely be added over the game's life, of course).

I wonder what special themed bundles we might start seeing for this - like, say, a special The LEGO Movie edition that includes everything in the normal base set but also Emmet or Business, say, or an all-DC edition that replaces Wyldstyle and Gandalf with Wonder Woman and Superman, or one with Scooby's entire gang.

Edited by Blondie-Wan

This game has the potential to be really good as long as it learns from the skylanders games mistakes. like one of the biggest problems with skylanders was the lack of open world hub so you'd spend forever buying packs and getting as many characters as possible- then you'd beat the game and have nothing to with them. yes the characters are seemingly detachable so you can just use them as figs but i really dont want to spend over 200 bucks on this game and end up having nothing to do on it. so if the open world hubs are big enough and the story mode is long enough I'll be happy. plus if what the creators said about having the game pad lasting so that if a sequel comes out you don't have to buy another starter pack you can just continue to expand yours, then that will be awesome! :laugh: .

Themes that need to be there:

scooby doo

jurrasic park

simpsons

minecraft (maybe?)

and doctor who (TT is a british company and were constantly making DW references in the other games, so if they're at the helm of this one then that raises the chances exponentially :tongue: )

2) Joel McHale in the trailer! :grin: Don't tell me I'm the only Community fan here.

I won't! Greendale forever!

Licensed themes I consider good or likely candidates for inclusion:

Homegrown LEGO themes I think are plausible or likely:

I think the two cateories are pretty different. The former one would have many unseen factors because LEGO and WB might not be ready to negotiate with all license owner. Original themes, on the other hand, should have no problem to deal with, which is the main reason why I seriously doubt that the first wave of the packs don't give us good diversity of theme representives.

The current roster is slightly different from the TLM master builder list so far. Old theme presentives like Johnny Thunder was relevant with TLM1 (representing voices of AFOLs) but not excatly with this new game, so current original themes of LEGO have a better chance. CMF series' absence might be due to both the MMO and unablity to reintroduce any of the old character in another set.

And it could be too early to think about more unused licenses, not even those non-WB properties. I personally wish to see regular sets coming with these esclusive licenses in the future.

1) Back to the Future pack! It's great to see LEGO isn't done with the license.

Well, the train is done, unless LEGO has surprises for us. :angry:

Yep, because this game provides competition with Disney Infinity.

To me, I never thought any of the previous LEGO PC video games make competition with the human-like Marvel video games, although physical interactive toy marketing could be another story. Hopefully it just depends on how much fee could interest Disney to participate. Edited by Dorayaki

This game has the potential to be really good as long as it learns from the skylanders games mistakes. like one of the biggest problems with skylanders was the lack of open world hub so you'd spend forever buying packs and getting as many characters as possible- then you'd beat the game and have nothing to with them. yes the characters are seemingly detachable so you can just use them as figs but i really dont want to spend over 200 bucks on this game and end up having nothing to do on it. so if the open world hubs are big enough and the story mode is long enough I'll be happy. plus if what the creators said about having the game pad lasting so that if a sequel comes out you don't have to buy another starter pack you can just continue to expand yours, then that will be awesome! :laugh: .

Themes that need to be there:

scooby doo

jurrasic park

simpsons

minecraft (maybe?)

and doctor who (TT is a british company and were constantly making DW references in the other games, so if they're at the helm of this one then that raises the chances exponentially :tongue: )

Skylanders and Infinity seem to be driven by releasing a new starter pack every year. Thus the lack of open world because of the fact they want to play, finish and then buy in a sense a new game. Dimensions seems to be in keeping with the general TLG idea of continual compatibility. The ability to always use the same starter kit is also most likely the reason the price is higher than the competitors.The main up side is being to be able to always use whatever expansion packs you purchase. Where as skylander forces you to buy new expansions to go with the new starter packs. In a few years the cost of skylander could easily be a great deal more is you play on a regular basis.

Skylanders and Infinity seem to be driven by releasing a new starter pack every year. Thus the lack of open world because of the fact they want to play, finish and then buy in a sense a new game. Dimensions seems to be in keeping with the general TLG idea of continual compatibility. The ability to always use the same starter kit is also most likely the reason the price is higher than the competitors.The main up side is being to be able to always use whatever expansion packs you purchase. Where as skylander forces you to buy new expansions to go with the new starter packs. In a few years the cost of Skylanders could easily be a great deal more is you play on a regular basis.

Man, I don't wanna think of a tradeoff (besides the price) to this advantage Lego Dimensions carries vs Skylanders and Disney Infinity.

Also, just a silly, useless Q: What if LEGO Dimensions becomes more successful overall then either two? Will it make Disney concede and jump ship to LEGO?

There are always exceptions

Remember disney allowed the use of Star Wars on Lego Movie

Hope, in a second movement, they will allow Star Wars too.

And , WAIT!

Lego will release the droids story!!!!

It will be 6 movies! Highly Probable we will get a new Star Wars game from this series!

I think LEGO is going to dominate the Toys-to-Life market. Disney might want to merge their game with LEGO, and Activision might want to switch from MegaBloks to LEGO for their construction sets. That way, they can all be friends!