TheBrickPal

LEGO Dimensions Discussion

Dimensions fun packs are £3.75 in Smyths atm, I went to my local one and bought 6 copies of the cyberman funpack.(I got a few odd looks as an added bonus)

On 1/2/2019 at 3:04 PM, Agent Kallus said:

Dimensions fun packs are £3.75 in Smyths atm, I went to my local one and bought 6 copies of the cyberman funpack.(I got a few odd looks as an added bonus)

I bought six of the Cyberman pack myself a while back, but wound up giving one to a couple of friends who are big Doctor Who fans, so I’m down to five. I had found six more marked down to less than three dollars (!) at Target, but I wasn’t able to get them right away, and when I returned the very next day they were all gone, of course.

I’m currently mulling over some Ghostbusters (2016) Story Packs that are marked down quite a bit at another store near me; at the current price, I think it would be worth it just for parts.

I hope to get my PS4 before too much longer so I can finally actually play the game again!

On 12/22/2018 at 5:17 PM, Digger of Bricks said:

Here's some speculative art from @just2good and @Ashnflash for Dimensions' rumored canceled wave:

...and here's a closer look at @Ashnflash's artwork:

Here's the rest of @Ashnflash's artwork done for @just2good's video covering Dimensions' purportedly canceled wave:

I’ve seen Avatar brought up a number of times as one of the franchises they hoped to have in Year 3, and multiple people have asked various times which Avatar that meant - the James Cameron movie(s) about the Na’Vi, or the animated series subtitled The Last Airbender - and I think there still hasn’t really been any clarification. Did I miss it? Does anyone know?

(I do of course know the Nickelodeon series Avatar: The Last Airbender did in fact get a couple LEGO sets already, back in 2006; they’re actually how I first learned of the show’s existence, as I’d never heard of it before seeing the sets on the shelves at Toys ‘R’ Us, and wondering what they were about.)

On 12/3/2016 at 12:24 AM, Blondie-Wan said:

An interesting development here:

Cineplex announced today that it is launching a video gaming league for young people, featuring LEGO Dimensions.  The family-friendly program is a new concept in Canada and is geared towards targeting a younger gaming demographic.  LEGO Dimensions, the popular LEGO toy and video game hybrid, takes players on a journey through unexpected worlds featuring a number of pop culture franchises, including Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find ThemThe LEGO MovieHarry Potter, Ghostbusters, The Lord of the Rings, and more.

The new league officially begins in March 2017 and consists of four consecutive weekly sessions where LEGO fans can play and compete in-theatre on the big screen.  The league is set-up so that there are no eliminations and all players, regardless of age or skill level, will be active and engaged throughout the entire season. 

In preparation for this family-friendly series, Cineplex Entertainment is hosting a free LEGO Dimensions Live launch event at 12 theatres across Canada on December 3, 2016 from 12:30-3:30 p.m. In addition to being among the first to play the LEGO Dimensions Battle Arenas on the big screen, the first 50 guests at each theatre will also receive a free LEGO toy.  Gamers under 14 years old must be accompanied by an adult in order to play.

Did anyone here ever get to do this? If so, what was it like?

I mentioned this over in its own thread, but it warrants mention here, too...

Apparently as part of the promotion for the theatrical release of The LEGO Movie 2: The Second Part, Walmart recently began offering special packs a few months ago of the Blu-rays of the three previous LEGO movies bundled with the LEGO Dimensions Starter Pack minifigures. The bundles turn out to be just the entire first bag from the Starter Pack parts boxes, featuring all the parts for Wyldstyle, Gandalf, and Batman - complete with LD toy tag bases - plus the brick separator, which is hardly useful for minifigures.

It’s difficult to read this as anything other than them just plain dumping leftover inventory for the game, though I also have to say it is still a fairly cool promo.

It has taken way too long, but thanks to this year’s Black Friday promos I finally have a PS4 - huzzah! I’m so looking forward to finally playing more than the little bit of this game that I first got to play on my nephew’s XBox One around Christmas 2015, nearly four years ago (!).

On 4/8/2018 at 6:00 PM, Digger of Bricks said:

Out of all those rumored franchises, the only one though I'm glad we didn't see was for Despicable Me. Having that on board would've inevitably led to playsets, and, well... :ugh:

Too bad, because you’re getting them anyway! :p 

I played the game quite a bit for a while after getting my PS4 late last year, playing up to the fourth level or so, and also opening a few fun packs (Benny, Buttercup, Cyberman) plus the Supergirl promo, and spent a hefty chunk of time with the Adventure Worlds for DC, Doctor Who, The LEGO Movie, The Lord of the Rings, and The Powerpuff Girls. Then put it aside for several months while my attention was diverted by other things, but finally picked it up again recently, and finished the story mode.

It’s so fun! The game is a joy, and deserves to have done better. I’m looking forward to doing so much more with the game, with all the expansion packs I have - I still have every other pack to open (plus dupes of every one I’ve already opened, except for Supergirl - the ones I opened before were just those I’d managed to get multiples of). I know there’s more to do even in all the Adventure Worlds I’ve already explored, plus twenty-five worlds I’ve yet to experience at all, plus all the additional levels from Level and Story Packs, plus all the Battle Arenas (the only one accessible from any pack I’ve opened yet is Buttercup’s, and I haven’t tried even that yet). There’s still so much to do!

Had the game continued adding material beyond its second year, there’s no telling how huge it would have become, given that Year Two added not just a bunch of new packs and franchises, but whole new pack types, and entirely different ways to play, and we know more such things were planned for Year 3. We’re now nearing the end of the fifth actual year since the game was released. Just imagine what could have been if it had kept going - a means to scan one’s own brick creations into the game, and possibly other game-editing creative features; the “Connectables”, whatever they were; dozens of additional entertainment properties and LEGO themes added, likely including any number of Disney-owned things including stuff from Pixar, Lucasfilm, and Marvel, plus additional packs for extant themes. Ah, if only.

Perhaps it’s just as well; there’s a heck of a lot in the game already, and I for one struggled to get all of it, even with the numerous sales and clearances. All the material for this game exacerbated my already-considerable LEGO storage challenges, and my completion drives would be sorely tested if there had been tons of additional packs representing further franchises like Despicable Me / Minions and Angry Birds (though having recently finally begun watching Avatar: The Last Airbender and already being in love with it, I dearly wish that could have been represented here, or at least that I could have gotten the two sets LEGO released for it back in the day).

I think our best hope is that Lego keeps any licences they obtained for Year 3 and makes regular sets with them. I wonder if that's how we ended up with the upcoming Loony Tunes CMF series?