TheBrickPal

LEGO Dimensions Discussion

On 1/24/2017 at 8:14 PM, Legomaster34 said:

Actually he's about exactly as popular as I thought he'd be. :laugh:

I was just thinking about how LEGO may have gone a bit overboard with the first year (more specifically the first wave). Every one of the Ninjago ninja got their own Minifigure, whereas if they were released now it likely would have been Kai or Lloyd being able to turn into the others, like the Ghostbusters packs. I think year two is doing much better though. It's much less overwhelming to only have a few packs per wave, and each pack feels like it has more value. To me personally, at least.

I quite liked that there were as many LEGO Ninjago packs as there were, since it meant more choice and also helped make up for the scarcity of other original LEGO properties amidst a sea of licenses. However, it does make me wonder what LEGO Dimensions will have for The LEGO Ninjago Movie, since all the main characters already exist as Dimensions packs. I guess Excalibur Batman does show that LEGO is willing to have alternate versions of a single character as separate packs as long as they have different names and different enough costumes, so that might be the route LEGO Dimensions takes with the LEGO Ninjago Movie.

That's weird

There were LEGO Movie and Batman Movie packs

Is Dimensions doing well? 

EDIT. I didn't read the last couple of pages before posting this. Now I know :look:

Edited by Robert8

1 hour ago, just2good said:

There will be no Dimensions for the LEGO Ninjago Movie.

Are you gonna back that up?

3 hours ago, Penkid11 said:

Now, now.

Calm down.

I understand the passion you have for this game, but similar situations have happened before. Lego Universe and Minifigs Online just to name a few. The cost of production didn't justify the means, and seeing as most LEGO games end up in bargain bins after just a year of availability, well, it's not that surprising that a game, especially at this scale, what with the extra cost of manufacture, all the while, in a dying market no less, would be having trouble, and forcing the producers behind it to reconsider its value.

Lego alone has done that directly in recent years as well, with Bionicle being the hardest to swallow as of late.

It also needs to be said that that source may indeed be wrong.

It would be safe, however, to brace for impact.

(Also the building toy license for Doctor Who has moved to PlayMobil, so there's that to keep in mind as well.) :wink:

LEGO Universe and Minifigs Online didn't have well-known IPs like Doctor Who and Ghostbusters. LEGO Dimensions combines IPs for everyone - you've got Legends of Chima for kids, The Simpsons for older kids and E.T. The Exta Terrestrial for adults - and who doesn't want to see LEGO versions of their favourite characters? LEGO Dimensions isn't only the biggest toys-to-life game, it's the biggest game ever. There's no way it wouldn't be successful enough to warrant a third year.

Also: Playmobil only have the rights for figures, not for actual building sets. It's a joint deal with Funko, who already have the license for figures, so they might even be sharing Funko's rights.

2 hours ago, just2good said:

There will be no Dimensions for the LEGO Ninjago Movie.

Now that is definitely nonsense. Of course there will be LEGO Ninjago Movie Dimensions sets. I will be shocked if they don't announce a LEGO Ninjago Movie Story Pack.

2 hours ago, Aanchir said:

I quite liked that there were as many LEGO Ninjago packs as there were, since it meant more choice and also helped make up for the scarcity of other original LEGO properties amidst a sea of licenses. However, it does make me wonder what LEGO Dimensions will have for The LEGO Ninjago Movie, since all the main characters already exist as Dimensions packs. I guess Excalibur Batman does show that LEGO is willing to have alternate versions of a single character as separate packs as long as they have different names and different enough costumes, so that might be the route LEGO Dimensions takes with the LEGO Ninjago Movie.

Yes, you liked it because you're a fan of Ninjago, but looking at it objectively making a pack for every ninja (plus Sensei Wu and Nya) is the first year was a bit much. A bit overwhelming for people who don't really care about Ninjago, and so will only pick up one pack to get the adventure world or even just to get the Spinjitsu ability, and now they have all these options, and it's hard to tell which is the one to go for. Chima was a bit better since the only three packs were very distinct. I know very little about Chima (I've played the 3DS game and watch the first few episodes of the show), but just from looking at Cragger, I can figure out that he should be able to swim because he's a crocodile-guy, and Eris should fly because she's an eagle-girl (plus the wings), so they have the Chi ability I may have run into in the game before, and the hint told me I need one of them, plus I can tell those two have other abilities as well. On the other hand with Ninjago it's much harder to tell. My knowledge of it is barely better than Chima (I watched the original pilot movie thing, plus a few random episodes here and there, and have kept up with the general story beats each year), but aside from Spinjitsu it's hard to tell what else those characters can do. Do they all have their elements? I don't think Zane has the ice ability (I don't have him yet, so I could be wrong, but I thought I remembered not seeing that listed as one of his abilities), but I know Jay has electricity, and I'm assuming Kai and Cole have their elemental abilities as well. I really think having Kai or Lloyd be able to turn into the other ninja, plus packs for Wu and Nya, would have been better.

If LEGO were to cancel Year 3, I wouldn’t be surprised if LEGO realized the ongoing bugs and problems that WB can’t seem to resolve, doesn’t align with the high level of quality that LEGO delivers to their consumers.  I was one of those people that lost all year 1 content when I downloaded Year 2.  WB took weeks to follow up and finally reported back that what caused the issue is that if you opened Year 2 worlds while Year 2 was downloading than Year 1 game play was lost.  It was handled be WB like: “Opps – our bad.  Have a nice day.”  I have a new issue now that after the game freezes for whatever the reason on that given day that the first time you bring a character back into the game again it asks you to rebuild the vehicle, animal, gadget, etc. – it’s very annoying.  I’d speculate WB killed of Dimensions if I had my say…

I just recently started watching Ninjago and Nexo Knights and am going to try to get caught up with Ninjago from Episode 1. I bought Lloyd before I was aware of Jay and if I find Cole, Zane, Kai cheap, I'll buy just because of Ninjago. I would likely buy at least a few Nexo Knights if they come aboard LD. Also, with Ninjago, Lego didn't have to make new expensive molds for their minifigures.

My guess is with other franchises, having them being a part of Lego Dimensions might be a cheaper way for them to have a video game presence than if they invested in a standalone videogame.

If it were me, instead of just pulling the plug, I'd consider omitting the vehicles and lower the prices. Just slap together a character minifigure using existing molds and include a NFC tag disc and some add'l game content like a new adventure world or access to one where the prior character was retired. You know, the $89 starter pack regular price isn't doing them favors. I bought mine with Supergirl for $29 on sale, but spent another $82 on other characters fun/team/level packs. I never spent that much on one video game before.

Edited by BubbaFit45531

5 hours ago, LEGODalekbuster523 said:

Now that is definitely nonsense. Of course there will be LEGO Ninjago Movie Dimensions sets. I will be shocked if they don't announce a LEGO Ninjago Movie Story Pack.

Come on. Just because you want it to be true doesn't mean it will be. I've seen through your constant posting about DW sets that you have a little trouble accepting the truth. Just2Good is a respected member of this community, and is almost always right about these things. (Personally I can't remember a time where the info was incorrect...) Blindly telling him that what he said is "nonsense"  goes against all that he has done for Lego fans. We all want Dimensions to continue, but it's time to face the music. It's not like similar things haven't happened before in Lego's history.

If there's no Lego Ninjago Movie content, that movie being one of Lego's next tentpole events for the company, I guess Year 2 is really the end. :cry_sad: Even if it didn't last as long as they thought it would, thanks for still doing all this, TT. It's been a great ride.

40 minutes ago, BlueberryWaffles said:

Come on. Just because you want it to be true doesn't mean it will be. I've seen through your constant posting about DW sets that you have a little trouble accepting the truth. Just2Good is a respected member of this community, and is almost always right about these things. (Personally I can't remember a time where the info was incorrect...) Blindly telling him that what he said is "nonsense"  goes against all that he has done for Lego fans. We all want Dimensions to continue, but it's time to face the music. It's not like similar things haven't happened before in Lego's history.

If there's no Lego Ninjago Movie content, that movie being one of Lego's next tentpole events for the company, I guess Year 2 is really the end. :cry_sad: Even if it didn't last as long as they thought it would, thanks for still doing all this, TT. It's been a great ride.

Makes sense why they are supposedly releasing the Vortech pack this year.  It kinda raises a red flag when somebody as influential in the game is released as a normal fun pack.

25 minutes ago, Karateduo1 said:

Makes sense why they are supposedly releasing the Vortech pack this year.  It kinda raises a red flag when somebody as influential in the game is released as a normal fun pack.

And as said before that would be a very valid explanation for why the new wave info is so much more delayed than Year 1.

Well I guess if they are ending it I guess we'll all say that we had some good innings with this game at the very least. But like a good movie all things must come to an end and everything must fade to black and let the credits roll up the screen so to speak anyway. But if it is true and that year two will be the end of Lego Dimensions then I suppose we will have to make the most of it. I mean what with Disney Infinity gone, Skylanders not being as popular as it once was when it first came out but at the moment it's hard to say with little to no information we've been given lately. 

Edited by Starscream759

7 hours ago, LEGODalekbuster523 said:

LEGO Universe and Minifigs Online didn't have well-known IPs like Doctor Who and Ghostbusters. LEGO Dimensions combines IPs for everyone - you've got Legends of Chima for kids, The Simpsons for older kids and E.T. The Exta Terrestrial for adults - and who doesn't want to see LEGO versions of their favourite characters? LEGO Dimensions isn't only the biggest toys-to-life game, it's the biggest game ever. There's no way it wouldn't be successful enough to warrant a third year.

Also: Playmobil only have the rights for figures, not for actual building sets. It's a joint deal with Funko, who already have the license for figures, so they might even be sharing Funko's rights.

You're way steamed up there. Let's take it down a notch and look at it from a business perspective.

Adding what to I said previously, just because an IP has a strong media presence does not mean that it will translate as a toy, videogame, or otherwise.

For example:

I can buy three IP backed Lego games for $5 upon the occasion through Steam. Initially these games at launch and at RRP would've been $180.

This has been the case with every Lego game that has been around since the advent of Steam, regardless of IP. These games are only relevant at launch and then suddenly bargain bins are their permanent home. That's aside from the fact that most of these games are free on mobile devices.

On the subject of scale, both within and outside of the game, development has insane costs with how many people it takes to develop games. The goal is to make enough money to earn that money back. If you have a game that's constantly being updated with more full fledged games (Story Packs), you need to pay people for each full game that is produced. If the add-on content (Packs) are constantly half-off, that won't ever happen. People will be terminated from the project, and eventually the company will have to cut their losses by, you guessed it, killing the game.

It doesn't help that the Toys 2 Life genre is dying, and it's no thanks to the oversaturation of product that makes it extremely difficult to get into now.

Also, there are fans of certain IPs that don't care whether or not a Lego version of their favorite character is made. In fact that's quite a majority of fans for these IPs. It just so happens, however, that they get interest as soon as they find out it exists (I have family members who bought the game for Sonic). There typically is very, very little demand beforehand.

Whilst Lego is more geared to kids, with an adult fanbase as a secondary group, Funko has an avid fanbase of both children adults equally. This applies to all Funko, not just selective items like Lego. What I mean to say is that Funko can make anything a figurine and it will be gold for just about anyone who picks it up.

For PlayMobil to have rights to a product, they must sign a building toy contract, as that is the product they produce, regardless if it's just a series of figurines.

Also, when it comes to your examples for IPs, Chima is a subpar sales theme that was killed for money's sake (and a shoe-in for the game to add more IPs). ET and Simpson's, however, can both be considered as inappropriate for the target audience of Lego Dimensions (and yes, I know that some parents will show their kids these shows/movies because they are classics, but not all people feel or parent that way). It actually needs to be said that many of these "classic" IPs are merely in there due to their popularity at a time where the concept of PG-13 was used very loosely, if at all, making it a bit of a determent in getting parents to purchase and expose their children to these themes.

And lastly, just by looking at the shelves for Dimensions, Ninjago warms the shelves (along with many, many others), it would only be logical to cut losses and not do Dimensions content for the theme in the event that they too sell below standards. That doesn't stop them from doing a standalone game though.

I know that this is quite a bit of info, but I'd appreciate it if you would take what is being said, and digest it carefully.

On a positive note, Hermione is on the way, and in March no less! Yay for another wave!

6 hours ago, SFmuscle73 said:

If LEGO were to cancel Year 3, I wouldn’t be surprised if LEGO realized the ongoing bugs and problems that WB can’t seem to resolve, doesn’t align with the high level of quality that LEGO delivers to their consumers.  I was one of those people that lost all year 1 content when I downloaded Year 2.  WB took weeks to follow up and finally reported back that what caused the issue is that if you opened Year 2 worlds while Year 2 was downloading than Year 1 game play was lost.  It was handled be WB like: “Opps – our bad.  Have a nice day.”  I have a new issue now that after the game freezes for whatever the reason on that given day that the first time you bring a character back into the game again it asks you to rebuild the vehicle, animal, gadget, etc. – it’s very annoying.  I’d speculate WB killed of Dimensions if I had my say…

Lego games are pretty infamously buggy, Dimensions is no special case. 

8 hours ago, BlueberryWaffles said:

Just2Good has the capacity to be wrong. Everyone has the capacity to be wrong. I just don't see it being very likely because LEGO is the biggest toy company in the world and LEGO videogames are among the most popular platformers at the moment. I don't think LEGO Dimensions will have a year four but if I were a betting man I'd bet anything that they'd follow through with year three.

5 hours ago, Penkid11 said:

You're way steamed up there. Let's take it down a notch and look at it from a business perspective.

Adding what to I said previously, just because an IP has a strong media presence does not mean that it will translate as a toy, videogame, or otherwise.

Doctor Who does.

Also, there are fans of certain IPs that don't care whether or not a Lego version of their favorite character is made. In fact that's quite a majority of fans for these IPs.

Wasn't the case with Ghostbusters, Back to the Future, E.T., Gremlins, Mission Impossible, Fantastic Beasts And Where To Find Them, Portal etc...

Whilst Lego is more geared to kids, with an adult fanbase as a secondary group, Funko has an avid fanbase of both children adults equally. This applies to all Funko, not just selective items like Lego. What I mean to say is that Funko can make anything a figurine and it will be gold for just about anyone who picks it up.

You've got to be kidding. LEGO is much bigger than Funko. That sounds like a better description of LEG to me.

For PlayMobil to have rights to a product, they must sign a building toy contract, as that is the product they produce, regardless if it's just a series of figurines.

How do you explain the fact that Playmobil are producing figures of franchises that have their building toy rights owned by another company then? Playmobil clearly must be sharing Funko's rights to produce figures of characters.

ET and Simpson's, however, can both be considered as inappropriate for the target audience of Lego Dimensions (and yes, I know that some parents will show their kids these shows/movies because they are classics, but not

all people feel or parent that way).

The idea that The Simpsons is inappropriate for kids is ridiculous IMO...but not anywhere near as ridiculous as the idea that E.T. is also inappropriate. E.T. is literally the perfect family movie. It is still considered a U by the BBFC. And how many kids exactly haven't seen E.T.? It's a timeless classic that is shown to every age group, from toddlers to the elderly. I've never heard one person before now even suggest the idea that E.T. is not appropriate for children.

On a positive note, Hermione is on the way, and in March no less! Yay for another wave!

Disappointing if we don't get Ron as well though to complete the trio - and I don't mean just by having Hermione unlocking him (how lame  would that be?).

46 minutes ago, LEGODalekbuster523 said:

Disappointing if we don't get Ron as well though to complete the trio - and I don't mean just by having Hermione unlocking him (how lame  would that be?)

Totally agree...and im not even the Harry potter fanatic in the household

1 hour ago, terryfay1983 said:

Totally agree...and im not even the Harry potter fanatic in the household

It just wouldn't make sense, would it? I'd like Harry, Ron and Hermione on the screen at the same time with character interactions with one another through archive dialogue.

1 hour ago, Mr Meleca said:

The Lego Batman Pack doesn't have Batman. There will be Batman's pack with bis original outfit?

The Starter Pack Batman will turn into the one from the movie. I believe the other one will contain funky Batman suits, but that's just speculation. 

Okay, my question is: is there actually any real proof that lego dimensions is ending after year 2? I mean I would understand if it was, but I think the real difference between lego dimensions and other toys to life, is that lego dimensions is actually toys, while disney infinity and skylanders were just useless plastic figurines. But one thing that may have contributed to the fall is the price, I mean come on the stuff is way too expensive. Oh and by the way playmobil does not have the building toy license for doctor who, back to the future, and ghostbusters, they're just figurines that funko is producing, and playmobil gave them the license to make them look like playmobil figures, cause mega bloks is producing the tmnt building sets while funko/playmobil are making tmnt figures as well.

I have no sources, but I have a hard time believing that after the game was popular enough to warrant making of packs based on random 80's franchises and that had companies coming to THEM asking for their IPs to be included rather than the other way around would be cancelled before its initial three-year plan was over. BIONICLE had barely any advertising and was part of a market (buildable action figures) that hadn't been doing well for some time. I've seen several commercials for Dimensions on primetime TV, so getting the word out definitely isn't an issue.

Again I could be entirely wrong here. I hope I'm not, but I could be.

EDIT: Almost forgot, there's a good chance we'll be seeing Disney franchises next year. It's doubtful that LEGO would cheat themselves out of that much guaranteed income.

Edited by LegoTFGuy

12 hours ago, LEGODalekbuster523 said:

Perhaps I should just let you be oblivious, as nothing I'm saying appears to be resonating with you, and seems to be getting you into a fit.

Sometimes toy themes/types die.

Sometimes they live their full life.

Sometimes they don't. Doesn't matter what companies or IPs that are involved

Welcome to the world of business.

To get back to things, something seems a bit off with the appearance of Buckbeak to me. Perhaps I set my expectations too high.

At least there's is a very apparent likeness, which will allow it to serve it's purpose.

1 hour ago, Penkid11 said:

Perhaps I should just let you be oblivious, as nothing I'm saying appears to be resonating with you, and seems to be getting you into a fit.

Sometimes toy themes/types die.

Sometimes they live their full life.

Sometimes they don't. Doesn't matter what companies or IPs that are involved

Welcome to the world of business.

To get back to things, something seems a bit off with the appearance of Buckbeak to me. Perhaps I set my expectations too high.

At least there's is a very apparent likeness, which will allow it to serve it's purpose.

Ya I agree. We've gotten a lot of stuff from this theme and I'm pretty content with everything we've got. But of course I'd love more! I think that everyone should just wait until we hear more about the future of Dimensions. Whatever the outcome is we'll cross that sad or happy bridge when we get to it. 

Being a fan of Disney Infinity, I can believe this is the end. I remember an article was published once saying how well Infinity was doing and how it was the top Toys-to-Life game. About a month after that, it was cancelled. When I started getting into Dimensions, I knew it probably wasn't going to last terribly long either. The Toys-to-Life genre is kind of dying right now, and it looks like Dimensions' time is unfortunately up. I'm just greatful for the two great years we had with it. We got minifigures of many characters and franchises we never thought we'd see, and it was a great game that I'll keep playing even after it's done, just like Disney Infinity.