TheBrickPal

LEGO Dimensions Discussion

4 hours ago, LEGODalekbuster523 said:

Why didn't you think he'd be very popular? The Simpsons is still the most popular animated series of all time!

Although the characters are recognizable, The Simpsons would not be considered a children's show (Dimensions and Lego's primary demographic is be children). This combined with the fact that, just looking at shelves, the first year of packs were seriously overproduced.

That much overstock for a Toys 2 Life product is unprecidented, especially since they're showing up at 99 cent stores.

17 minutes ago, Penkid11 said:

Although the characters are recognizable, The Simpsons would not be considered a children's show (Dimensions and Lego's primary demographic is be children). This combined with the fact that, just looking at shelves, the first year of packs were seriously overproduced.

I've always thought of The Simpsons as a primetime family sitcom that happens to be animated, the same way as Doctor Who is a primetime family drama.

5 hours ago, LEGODalekbuster523 said:

Why didn't you think he'd be very popular? The Simpsons is still the most popular animated series of all time!

I don't think Just2Good is right. Those are all first year packs; they won't be as popular as the new year two content.

Because he's not really needed (no exclusive abilities, or special combinations of abilities), he's unvoiced, if people already bought Homer they have the adventure world for The Simpsons, and if someone is just a fan of the franchise, not specifically Bart, they'd be more likely to go for the Homer level pack, to get the level and the most iconic character.

Also, look at what those first year packs are: Bart, Zane (I already mentioned the surplus of Ninjago), Bad Cop, Gimli, Unikitty, Homer (those last two surprise me though, as they have some exclusive content for year one). Emmett is a bit surprising too, since other than Bane's drill vehicle he's the only one with the drill ability. A lot of year one's first wave's characters didn't really have anything special going for them to make them more needed for the casual players who want to play the game, but maybe not get everything. I think year two is going about it much better in that sense though. So far there are no packs that don't give you something special or new. (From what I can tell, at least. I'm really behind on year two.)

Edited by Legomaster34

5 hours ago, LEGODalekbuster523 said:

I don't think Just2Good is right. Those are all first year packs; they won't be as popular as the new year two content.

You're setting yourself up for disappointment.

The Simpsons has gone from being a staple of pop culture to being a part of pop culture's background. The Simpsons just ain't what they used to be. 

As a matter of fact, all of those packs are exactly the packs I expected to see. They're the same ones littering every store I've been to. Not a lot of LotR, Lego Movie, Simpsons, Wicked Witch, Ninjago, and Chima purchases. It's not hard to see why, either. LotR is a lot of dull colors and lacks the main character (plus the Adventure World is free with the game). Lego-specific franchises aren't much of a draw. The Simpsons' popularity has declined significantly, and dropped to 0 with kids. The Wizard of Oz is pretty unremarkable these days thanks to the hundreds of parodies and re-imaginings, and the original being just so old. It also doesn't open up much content.

55 minutes ago, Legomaster34 said:

Because he's not really needed (no exclusive abilities, or special combinations of abilities), he's unvoiced, if people already bought Homer they have the adventure world for The Simpsons, and if someone is just a fan of the franchise, not specifically Bart, they'd be more likely to go for the Homer level pack, to get the level and the most iconic character.

I couldn't care less about any of that personally. It's just nice to be able to play as Bart.

43 minutes ago, just2good said:

I see no reason why LEGO Dimensions would be stopping any time soon...

4 minutes ago, LEGODalekbuster523 said:

I couldn't care less about any of that personally. It's just nice to be able to play as Bart.

Yes, you personally. I'm personally happy to be able to play as a lot of characters, and two of them are ones that have been warming the pegs (I'm a massive Lord of the Rings fan, so being able to use Gimli and Gollum in the game is a big deal to me, and Legolas too, but I'm really surprised he doesn't show up as much as the other two), but that's why I specifically mentioned casual players in my post. People who have maybe seen a few episodes of The Simpsons, or saw The Lord of the Rings films once or twice, and decided it would be fun to use those characters in the game.

As a big Lord of the Rings fan myself, I see the following as some potential weaknesses with its Dimensions form.  First of all, the world itself is already part of the starter pack since Gandalf allows access.  Therefore, you need none of the expansion characters to access it.  Being able to access new worlds is often a strength with fun packs.  Then, you have the character abilities.  I feel that Legolas, Gimli, and Gollum are rather weak in abilities compared to some of the other characters and themes that have been released.  For the most part, it seems like their abilities are fairly common, and the associated builds are average.  In all honesty, I am really surprised Frodo was not one of the characters.  It would have also been great if they had introduced a new character that was not in the prior sets.  Sauron, Witch King with armor, Faramir, etc.  might have been interesting if done right.  

39 minutes ago, Numbuh1Nerd said:

The Simpsons has gone from being a staple of pop culture to being a part of pop culture's background. The Simpsons just ain't what they used to be. 

As a matter of fact, all of those packs are exactly the packs I expected to see. They're the same ones littering every store I've been to. Not a lot of LotR, Lego Movie, Simpsons, Wicked Witch, Ninjago, and Chima purchases. It's not hard to see why, either. LotR is a lot of dull colors and lacks the main character (plus the Adventure World is free with the game). Lego-specific franchises aren't much of a draw. The Simpsons' popularity has declined significantly, and dropped to 0 with kids. The Wizard of Oz is pretty unremarkable these days thanks to the hundreds of parodies and re-imaginings, and the original being just so old. It also doesn't open up much content.

I have hardly seen any Wizard of Oz packs lately.  Even if you are not a fan of Oz, that pack alone offers access to almost 30 gold bricks.  As for Ninjago and Chima, perhaps the mistake was making too many packs for one theme.  I will probably end up buying one Chima character to access the world and get a rare ability.  The choice will probably be Cragger since he is apparently the only one who can use Chi underwater.  One or two Ninjago packs would also suffice, but after that, it seems redundant to buy any more unless you are really a fan of the theme.  Lego movie characters had the same weakness Lord of the Rings did.   The Lego Movie world is already accessible, so the only reason to buy them would be if they had a vital ability or you simply liked the character.  

18 minutes ago, AFOLguy1970 said:

I have hardly seen any Wizard of Oz packs lately.  Even if you are not a fan of Oz, that pack alone offers access to almost 30 gold bricks.  As for Ninjago and Chima, perhaps the mistake was making too many packs for one theme. 

I was surprised they didn't release more Wizard of Oz packs. A Team Pack with Dorothy and Toto would have made sense.

2 hours ago, just2good said:

This saddens me.

I mean I can tell by just looking at the Toys 2 Life section at most stores that the hype for these sorts of things are dying. The only lasting one out all of these companies' Toys are Amiibo, but it's very clear that even now Nintendo has to be very selective with which games to produce Amiibo for.

Hoping for some sort of notice on Dimensions' future soon, whether positive or negative.

I'm sure we'll at least get a year three, but anything past that I'm not so sure. And I'd be fine with that. Even only one and a half years in we already have a very full game, and there is still more in year two to look forward to!

37 minutes ago, jake0324demo said:

Do you know from a source that DImensions is not going through with it's three year plan.

There isn't a specific source.

@just2good has been reliabl in the past, however.

Perhaps some potential evidence to add to the mix is the fact that we are less than a month out from the next wave, and nothing has been announced past Wave 7.5.

48 minutes ago, Penkid11 said:

There isn't a specific source.

@just2good has been reliabl in the past, however.

Perhaps some potential evidence to add to the mix is the fact that we are less than a month out from the next wave, and nothing has been announced past Wave 7.5.

Hopefully we find out the releases of the remaining packs.

For what it is worth, I read from a source on Reddit that LEGO Dimensions Year Three is indeed canned, as the result of lackluster sales :sceptic:

2 hours ago, Sir Gareth said:

For what it is worth, I read from a source on Reddit that LEGO Dimensions Year Three is indeed canned, as the result of lackluster sales :sceptic:

If true, then it's like BIONICLE all over again. :cry_sad:

2 hours ago, Sir Gareth said:

Can you point me to the source?

If year 3 is not happening, I am sure that the rest of year 2 will still be released.

Edited by jake0324demo

I may have seen that reddit post (no Year 3), which looked a lot like his opinion rather than fact. One of the Lego fan news sites I frequent linked to it (minifig price guide).

Was this it? The post by br1kcl1k?

https://www.reddit.com/r/Legodimensions/comments/5oprx2/the_future_of_lego_dimensions_and_other_thoughts/?ref_source=embed&ref=share

Edited by BubbaFit45531

It would be a shame if they stopped now.  We just got into Dimensions over Christmas by getting the boys PS4 and this game.  Right now, our goal is to try and get as much year one stuff as possible before they entirely disappear.  We are prioritizing by that and which packs we want the most.  One thing I noticed is that S@H is already "Sold Out" on even more of the recent stuff like Sonic and Fantastic Beasts story pack.  Even Gremlins was showing "call for availability".  Toys' R Us seems to have all of them still available for online order.  Stopped by Five Below yesterday and it was essentially a lot of Gimlis and all three Chima packs.  Even if they stop after the announced sets coming (Beetlejuice, TTG, PPG, Goonies), that is still a lot of game content.  Hopefully we can fill in the gaps before some of the ones we are after become hard to find or expensive in the aftermarket.  

There's no way there not going to do Year 3. Sorry but anyone who thinks that is talking rubbish - even Just2Good, even if he has sources that tell him otherwise. LEGO is the most popular toy on the planet - it's impossible that their toys-to-life game isn't making them more money than had they not decided to make LEGO Dimensions, and if it has stopped making them money it's their fault for not exploiting the Year 1 franchises they had enough. 

I would be shocked if there wasn't a Year 3 featuring returning franchises from Year 1, including Doctor Who, Jurassic Park/World, The Simpsons, Scooby Doo and maybe Ghostbusters (they could release Gozer and Dana Barrett). I don't have sources (as Just2Good has had occasionally) but I don't think they're always reliable anyway. I trust my instincts more than any source that claims that LEGO Dimensions content is somehow coming to a premature end.

34 minutes ago, LEGODalekbuster523 said:

There's no way there not going to do Year 3. Sorry but anyone who thinks that is talking rubbish - even Just2Good, even if he has sources that tell him otherwise. LEGO is the most popular toy on the planet - it's impossible that their toys-to-life game isn't making them more money than had they not decided to make LEGO Dimensions, and if it has stopped making them money it's their fault for not exploiting the Year 1 franchises they had enough. 

I would be shocked if there wasn't a Year 3 featuring returning franchises from Year 1, including Doctor Who, Jurassic Park/World, The Simpsons, Scooby Doo and maybe Ghostbusters (they could release Gozer and Dana Barrett). I don't have sources (as Just2Good has had occasionally) but I don't think they're always reliable anyway. I trust my instincts more than any source that claims that LEGO Dimensions content is somehow coming to a premature end.

Now, now.

Calm down.

I understand the passion you have for this game, but similar situations have happened before. Lego Universe and Minifigs Online just to name a few. The cost of production didn't justify the means, and seeing as most LEGO games end up in bargain bins after just a year of availability, well, it's not that surprising that a game, especially at this scale, what with the extra cost of manufacture, all the while, in a dying market no less, would be having trouble, and forcing the producers behind it to reconsider its value.

Lego alone has done that directly in recent years as well, with Bionicle being the hardest to swallow as of late.

It also needs to be said that that source may indeed be wrong.

It would be safe, however, to brace for impact.

(Also the building toy license for Doctor Who has moved to PlayMobil, so there's that to keep in mind as well.) :wink:

30 minutes ago, Penkid11 said:

Now, now.

Calm down.

I understand the passion you have for this game, but similar situations have happened before. Lego Universe and Minifigs Online just to name a few. The cost of production didn't justify the means, and seeing as most LEGO games end up in bargain bins after just a year of availability, well, it's not that surprising that a game, especially at this scale, what with the extra cost of manufacture, all the while, in a dying market no less, would be having trouble, and forcing the producers behind it to reconsider its value.

Lego alone has done that directly in recent years as well, with Bionicle being the hardest to swallow as of late.

It also needs to be said that that source may indeed be wrong.

It would be safe, however, to brace for impact.

(Also the building toy license for Doctor Who has moved to PlayMobil, so there's that to keep in mind as well.) :wink:

So did Back to the Future and Ghostbusters

and even Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, Which Megaconstrux also has rights for.