TheBrickPal

LEGO Dimensions Discussion

Oh, with regard to this earlier question:

Question regarding toys-to-life games: do the RFID chips unlock content stored on the game disc or does the chip contain the information which the game accesses? If it's the former, we probably won't see anymore Ideas sets in Dimensions as they would have to have programed them in now.

Pretty confident they RFID chips just have a code to unlock the content. It doesn't make sense from a cost standpoint to put much data storage in the toy, also RFID data links are not very high bandwidth to be transferring actual content.

In that case, the licenses announced now (and maybe next year) will probably be the only licenses we will see in the game. Unless they make future licenses available through a combination of an additional DLC and Fun Pack (Is that even possible in a toys-to-life game)?

No reason the RFID code can't trigger a download of new content. Games these days are updated all the time.

If they intend to be able to release additional Level Packs well into the future, one would think there'd at least be some appreciable amount of data in the packs, since otherwise they'd have to develop all the additional levels and such now, years before they plan to release them. I would think they'd like to be able to keep the options open, perhaps for licenses and themes that haven't even been thought of yet.

No reason the RFID code can't trigger a download of new content. Games these days are updated all the time.

Or that.

I think we overlooked it before, but it does say an Internet connection is required. I suspect Vorkosigan's guess is correct, and that the bases trigger downloads of new material for the game. This would mean one has to have an active connection to bring in new characters and levels, at the very least, and possibly to be able to play the game at all, though that's probably not much of an issue for most players in this day and age.

Agreed. I don't think they'll pull out a second new license for this game. Wizard of Oz was already a surprise; I don't think they will do it again. Hopefully that character everyone thinks is Chell will be from an in-house theme.

That's definitely flesh tone, so it can't be in-house. Lego's never done flesh tone minifigs for unlicensed sets that I'm aware of.

I don't think it's Chell at all. I don't see a white shirt/orange pants combo, and Portal seems like an odd franchise to put with the rest of them.

Oh, with regard to this earlier question:

I think we overlooked it before, but it does say an Internet connection is required. I suspect Vorkosigan's guess is correct, and that the bases trigger downloads of new material for the game. This would mean one has to have an active connection to bring in new characters and levels, at the very least, and possibly to be able to play the game at all, though that's probably not much of an issue for most players in this day and age.

I think the inetrnet is just required to downlaod patches the allows new figs etc to be used. not a downlaod that happens for every single thing you put on the base.

The idea is for the figs to insatntly work when you stick it on the base, not ahving to wait for a download :wink:

I see it now: full blown Lego sets to accompany the Dimensions theme. TLG releases a Minas Tirith set, with the minifig slots taken up by also having to include Batman, Emmet etc... LOTR fans get what they "want" but no Faramir, Denethor, Eowyn, Fell Beast etc... :iamded_lol::cry_sad:

This is Metropolis (The Daily Planet globe can be seen at the left)

10425434_1578419129110177_6842070813856226487_n.jpg?oh=a01bbb74704dbb87c107dedd3f78c6b9&oe=55D2F966

Edited by Robert8

If Bart, Homer, and Krusty will be in this game, we will seeing either Snake Jailbird or Sideshow Bob as a main villain. And also a Springfield world.

Now I speculate the non-playable villains for each theme, but some villains like Wicked Witch, Gollum, and Bad Cop which are playable are not counted.

Confirmed:

Ninjago = Master Chen, Nindroids

DC = The Riddler, Two-Face

Lord of the Rings = Balrog, Mordor Orc.

The LEGO Movie = Micro Managers and Robo-SWATS.

The Wizard of Oz = Winged Monkeys (Not the brick-built one that comes with a Wicked Witch minifigure)

Unconfirmed or Speculation

Dr. Who = The Master, Daleks, and Cybermen

Ghostbusters = Stay Puff Marshmallow Man

Back to the Future = Biff Tannen

Legends of Chima = Could be Scorm or Sir. Fanger

Scooby-Doo = Dracula or any of the monsters

The Simpsons = Maybe Mr. Burns with Waylon Smithers (For Homer), Snake Jailbird (For Bart), or Sideshow Bob (For Krusty) since we already rumored the Homer, Bart, and Krusty will be playables.

Minifigures = Since the Yeti will be have a base for Minifigures. Maybe some villain-based minifigures like S5 Gangster, S8 Alien Villainess, and S13 Evil Wizard.

Edited by legofanatic12

If Bart, Homer, and Krusty will be in this game, we will seeing either Snake Jailbird or Sideshow Bob as a main villain. And also a Springfield world.

Now I speculate the non-playable villains for each theme, but some villains like Wicked Witch, Gollum, and Bad Cop which are playable are not counted.

Confirmed:

Ninjago = Master Chen, Nindroids

DC = The Riddler

Lord of the Rings = Balrog, Mordor Orc.

The LEGO Movie = Micro Managers and Robo-SWATS.

The Wizard of Oz = Winged Monkeys

Unconfirmed or Speculation

Ghostbusters = Stay Puff Marshmallow Man

Back to the Future = Biff Tannen

Legends of Chima = Could be Scorm or Sir. Fanger

Scooby-Doo = Dracula or any of the monsters

The Simpsons = Maybe Mr. Burns with Waylon Smithers (For Homer), Snake Jailbird (For Bart), or Sideshow Bob (For Krusty) since we already rumored the Homer, Bart, and Krusty will be playables.

Minifigures = Since the Yeti will be have a base for Minifigures. Maybe some villain-based minifigures like S5 Gangster, S8 Alien Villainess, and S13 Evil Wizard.

That's Two-Face up there in that Blue Ninja (whatever his name is, i dunno) picture, so there's another one.

That's Two-Face up there in that Blue Ninja (whatever his name is, i dunno) picture, so there's another one.

Blue? Jay, bluejay. Easy to remember. Black? Cole, coal is black. Easy to remember. The others you have every excuse to not remember!

I see it now: full blown Lego sets to accompany the Dimensions theme. TLG releases a Minas Tirith set, with the minifig slots taken up by also having to include Batman, Emmet etc... LOTR fans get what they "want" but no Faramir, Denethor, Eowyn, Fell Beast etc... :iamded_lol::cry_sad:

But in return we get a Batmobile with Sauron, or Faramir in a ninja mech :laugh:

Edited by Deathleech

Even though I like miniature vehicles, I think that's honestly sort of lame. I thought the minimodels were stand-ins for what appeared in the game, not exactly what we get. Does that mean there will be no properly-scaled vehicles?

11182180_1580087548943335_2957793367046745037_n.jpg?oh=637b4b895d2eaf0b062795026b52d9d3&oe=55DEF312&__gda__=1441034649_e3546dada42a34c97e039056a691292c

Is it me or those this environment look like it was built in a sandbox type mode, similar to Disney Infinity's Toy Box mode? The empty background, generic modular buildings and flat ground suggest that this isn't a level.

Edited by greeny

The style looks like the world of the LEGO Movie to me. A sandbox mode would be LDD all over again, so I don't know if that's what the picture really is.

I was thinking it was the realm of The LEGO Movie, hence being entirely LEGO while the rest of the game appears to have environments that are mostly "real" save for LEGO aspects here and there. The design aesthetic of that city seems compatible with the movie's Bricksburg.

From what I understand of Disney Infinity, the major reason for that game's Toy Box mode is that it's the only part of the game in which all of the characters from different realms can interact; as I understand it, outside the Toy Box, The Incredibles characters can play only in The Incredibles realm, Pirates of the Caribbean characters can play only in the Pirates of the Caribbean realm, etc., whereas LEGO Dimensions will allow all characters and vehicles and whatnot to go everywhere. Given that, there would seem to be less need of a sandbox-type mode in this game, unless it served some other purpose (such as free-form play, independent of the game missions and such).

The style looks like the world of the LEGO Movie to me. A sandbox mode would be LDD all over again, so I don't know if that's what the picture really is.

Yeah, don't think there'll be a sandbox mode.