TheBrickPal

LEGO Dimensions Discussion

Here are some of the franchises that would have been in year 3 if dimensions: 

Avatar, Despicable Me, Looney Tunes, Universal Monsters, Tom & Jerry, Godzilla, The Smurfs, Thunderbirds, Tintin, Angry Birds, Shrek, and Minecraft

4 minutes ago, Falconfan1414 said:

Avatar, Despicable Me, Looney Tunes, Universal Monsters, Tom & Jerry, Godzilla, The Smurfs, Thunderbirds, Tintin, Angry Birds, Shrek, and Minecraft

Looney Tunes, Universal Monsters, Tom and Jerry, Tintin, and Godzilla all would've been incredible! I wonder if Lego would be still interested in utilizing these franchises elsewhere if they still have access to them. 

Which Avatar would that have been - the Nickelodeon TV series about Airbenders (which previously briefly had a small LEGO theme back in 2006), or the James Cameron movie (series) about the Na'vi of Pandora? I think I'd personally prefer the former, though either would be cool.

I'd love it if some of those properties could have been in the game, and also if a few more of LEGO's own homegrown ones could have been as well, such as Bionicle and Elves.

9 hours ago, Falconfan1414 said:

Aw man, that is sad. I almost wish I hadn't read this. :sadnew: Universal Monsters minifigures would have been amazing, as would have been Looney Tunes.

On 4/6/2018 at 10:59 AM, Falconfan1414 said:

If Year 3 had happened, I would not have been interested in most of these franchises, except for Looney Tunes and Minecraft. I do love Godzilla, but I don’t think the franchise would have worked in the game.

Out of all those rumored franchises, the only one though I'm glad we didn't see was for Despicable Me. Having that on board would've inevitably led to playsets, and, well... :ugh:

I admit, the inclusions of Despicable Me, Minecraft, and Shrek make me think this list is at least somewhat a joke. Still, it does kind of sting to think of LEGO Universal Monsters. There's some nostalgia I can get behind.

Edited by Nerd-with-a-Pencil

In the areas I shop it’s clear the game is on its last legs in the market; most stores I’ve visited lately that carried it have sold out entirely, or are close to it. I still see a few packs around here and there, though.

I have another question or two. I know the LD Toy Pads for the Wii U, PS3, and PS4 are identical and interchangeable (so that one can use the pad from a Wii U copy of the game with a PS4, for example, and vice versa). I also know that this is not the case for at least one of the two versions for XBox platforms, and possibly both.

Can anyone here tell me whether a) either one of the XBox versions (360 or One) uses the same Toy Pad as the PS3, PS4, and Wii U, or are they both incompatible; and b) if they’re both incompatible with those three, are they also incompatible with each other, or do the two XBox versions at least share a Toy Pad with each other, while the Wii U and the two PS versions all share theirs?

Also, does anyone here know the answer to my previous question below:

On 4/6/2018 at 4:55 PM, Blondie-Wan said:

Which Avatar would that have been - the Nickelodeon TV series about Airbenders (which previously briefly had a small LEGO theme back in 2006), or the James Cameron movie (series) about the Na'vi of Pandora?

?

Edited by Blondie-Wan

Bricklink shows 3 entries for the Toy Pad, one for PS3/PS4/Wii U, one for XBOX One and one for XBOX 360. So that seems to answer your question :)

On 5/27/2018 at 5:46 PM, jonwil said:

Bricklink shows 3 entries for the Toy Pad, one for PS3/PS4/Wii U, one for XBOX One and one for XBOX 360. So that seems to answer your question :)

It does indeed, thanks! Leave it to Microsoft to make things as incompatible as possible...

Does anyone know about my Avatar question?

(Edit in March, 2021: I hadn’t realized back when I first posted this almost three years ago that each successive XBox is almost entirely backwards-compatible with the games for previous generations; in light of that, my comment about Microsoft making things as incompatible as possible seems pretty unfair. That said, it still seems weird they needed separate Toy Pads for each of their two versions, while not only could Sony’s consoles share one but Nintendo’s WiiU could use the same one as well. Still, apologies for my earlier remark...)

Edited by Blondie-Wan

I recently picked up a couple of these at Toys R Us.  The discount on LEGO is now at 30% near me, but it's 50% off Dimensions. 

Yesterday I picked up not actual LEGO Dimensions products, but endcap signage from Target. It should be nice decor in my next LEGO room and/or gaming space.

It’s really too bad there’s nothing new coming for the game. Had it gone to Year 4, next year’s next LEGO movie would surely have made an awesome Story Pack.

(Though at the same time, I’m kind of relieved I can be a completist for the game without having to buy any Minions or Angry Birds packs.)

Around me, the game has now entirely disappeared from my two nearest Targets, and is gone or nearly gone from most Walmarts, though I still see a few packs here and there. The one nice thing is that the base game is dirt-cheap now; I see Starter Packs (what few remain) at prices from $20 or $25 (at Best Buy) to a mere $12 (at Walmart). At that latter price, I picked up a copy for PS3; at that price it’s more than worth it for the bricks alone, and I now have the option to play it on either of the two Sony platforms it supports, plus I just have a backup toy pad in case anything ever happens to one.

It’s sad seeing it go, though at least the game did better (and remains in better shape) than LEGO Universe...

Edited by Blondie-Wan

Going back through this thread I keep coming across things like this. If only we’d known then:

On 6/8/2017 at 9:04 PM, Digger of Bricks said:

Now I really can't believe that they actually considered James Bond at all, since the franchise seems to me to be a absolute NO! :oh3: :def_shrug:

That’s what I’d have thought, too, Digger - I would have though James Bond wasn’t kid-friendly enough for LEGO. But obviously, we know differently now, even if it didn’t happen within the framework of LEGO Dimensions.

Actually, I still think that before recently, they probably did consider 007 not kid-friendly enough. But they’ve really loosened up over the last several years on what sorts of things they will and won’t do - I mean, The Simpsons? The Big Bang Theory? Gremlins, of all things?! Looking back at some of these licenses, it’s strange to think that in the early years of LEGO CUUSOO they considered a Firefly / Serenity project and ultimately decided it wasn’t sufficiently kid-friendly. I half think that if that project had come now rather than back then, they might actually have approved it.

(But all that said, if they had given LEGO Dimensions a third year and included a new spy-type theme alongside Year 2’s Mission: Impossible, I would rather it had been LEGO’s own Agents theme rather than actually being James Bond 007. I always wanted more inherently “LEGO” stuff in the game alongside all the outside entertainment properties.)

I ended up getting the starter pack for 15 euros, good parts and I had also missed out on the original figs of Wyldstyle and Gandalf. Still need to hunt down a cheap Chell and Gremlin, since the packs never really went below 7 euros in my area...

On 4/6/2018 at 8:59 AM, Falconfan1414 said:

You forgot How To Train Your Dragon.

I would have loved to see a set of Hiccup and a mini Toothless.

So, I made a purist custom Lord Vortech today: 
31777240548_72a7621387_c.jpg

The staff took me a good hour or so, but I'm satisfied with the result. :classic: 

That is gorgeous. Recipe?

and this game is still one of my favorite wii games. Wish it was compatible with the switch. 

On 11/21/2018 at 9:04 AM, Asphalt said:

That is gorgeous. Recipe?

and this game is still one of my favorite wii games. Wish it was compatible with the switch. 

A 100% digital re-release on Nintendo Switch, Xbox One, and PS4 would be awesome in my opinion.

I was wondering if, i mean lego really had to invest a lot for this product so if they ever made enough profit on this? Clearly they didn’t have enough sales to prolong it even longer but projects like these, so big, can kill a brand when gone wrong. 

I for one really enjoyed the game. To me it is the best lego game ever. Where did it go wrong?

1 hour ago, Borex said:

I was wondering if, i mean lego really had to invest a lot for this product so if they ever made enough profit on this? Clearly they didn’t have enough sales to prolong it even longer but projects like these, so big, can kill a brand when gone wrong. 

I for one really enjoyed the game. To me it is the best lego game ever. Where did it go wrong?

In my opinion, I felt it was just too expensive to catch up with, unfortunately.

There were a lot of problems that they just couldn't overcome. The biggest one was that they entered the toys-to-life game market after it had already peaked, and kids were losing interest in it (Skylanders, Disney Infinity, etc.). The other major problem was that it was just so expensive to get started, if you paid full retail price. The starter packs were almost twice the price of a regular game, and the Fun Packs were originally priced at US $15, which is crazy expensive for a non-exclusive minifig (as most of the early ones were) and two usually underwhelming mini-builds.

If they had launched 18 months earlier and priced everything more aggressively, they might have had a chance. But instead, it just turned out to be a huge wasted opportunity.