TheBrickPal

LEGO Dimensions Discussion

Whether I buy anymore will largely depend on how deep clearances get. Bummed that Holtzmann with sunglasses is never gonna happen, but I imagine that had less to do with Dimension's imminent demise and more to do with GB2016 auguring in.

Now that LEGO Dimensions is over, I wouldn't mind seeing TT Games release new standalone LEGO video games based on some of the franchises featured in it.

• The Simpsons
  • Back to the Future
  • Doctor Who
  • Scooby-Doo
  • Sonic the Hedgehog
  • The LEGO Batman Movie (this one deserves its own standalone game!)
  • Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them (maybe after future FB films are released, perhaps?)
  • Ghostbusters (with modified features and gameplay; including levels based on both OG Ghostbusters films and the 2016 reboot; could also have characters & stuff from the Extreme Ghostbusters TV show)

What other LEGO themes would you like to see get their own video game outside of Dimensions?

7 hours ago, MatthewRC said:

Now that LEGO Dimensions is over, I wouldn't mind seeing TT Games release new standalone LEGO video games based on some of the franchises featured in it.

• The Simpsons
  • Back to the Future
  • Doctor Who
  • Scooby-Doo
  • Sonic the Hedgehog
  • Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them (maybe after future FB films are released, perhaps?)
  • Ghostbusters (with modified features and gameplay; including levels based on both OG Ghostbusters films and the 2016 reboot; could also have characters & stuff from the Extreme Ghostbusters TV show)

What other LEGO themes would you like to see get their own video game outside of Dimensions?

I think I'd rather see some of these LEGO themes get more in the way of actual LEGO themes before they get LEGO games. Sonic the Hedgehog has just a single LEGO thing ever made, and that's the LEGO Dimensions pack. Back to the Future and Doctor Who each have just a single CUUSOO / Ideas set and two packs for the game, but both could easily have far more sets if LEGO wanted to make them. That said, if any of these were to get standalone LEGO videogames, Doctor Who makes the most sense to me.

As far as LEGO Dimensions being "over" goes, is anyone going to just drop the game just because no more packs are being made? That doesn't make sense to me, but I kind of get the impression that's what people are doing. Personally, I'm just getting started with it. In a way, the discontinuation is actually making it easier for me to get into, since now I know there's an end in sight, and getting everything offered (or at least everything I especially want) may actually be an attainable goal (particularly since many packs are also widely available on clearance).

2 hours ago, Blondie-Wan said:

I think I'd rather see some of these LEGO themes get more in the way of actual LEGO themes before they get LEGO games. Sonic the Hedgehog has just a single LEGO thing ever made, and that's the LEGO Dimensions pack. Back to the Future and Doctor Who each have just a single CUUSOO / Ideas set and two packs for the game, but both could easily have far more sets if LEGO wanted to make them. That said, if any of these were to get standalone LEGO videogames, Doctor Who makes the most sense to me.

As far as LEGO Dimensions being "over" goes, is anyone going to just drop the game just because no more packs are being made? That doesn't make sense to me, but I kind of get the impression that's what people are doing. Personally, I'm just getting started with it. In a way, the discontinuation is actually making it easier for me to get into, since now I know there's an end in sight, and getting everything offered (or at least everything I especially want) may actually be an attainable goal (particularly since many packs are also widely available on clearance).

Oh, I didn't even think about those themes potentially getting more sets before getting their standalone LEGO game. My apologies.

4 hours ago, MatthewRC said:

Oh, I didn't even think about those themes potentially getting more sets before getting their standalone LEGO game. My apologies.

Oh, no need to apologize! I was just answering your question with my own preference. That doesn't mean everyone else who wants the games you want is wrong. My own apologies if I wasn't clear.

I got the 3 newest singles at Target this week. Ordered on line and got them all for $17 they have a sale running this week.  Went back got the 2 team packs and another single and got those for $42

On 9/21/2017 at 11:03 AM, Blondie-Wan said:

I noticed the other day that Target is now offering a new store-exclusive promo on the starter packs - there, you can get it bundled with the Lloyd Fun Pack from Ninjago (there's a little sticker on the box to indicate it's included, just like the ones on some of the PS4 packs that tell you it has the Supergirl promo).

When I last looked at Target's website, they were showing it only with the PS4 Starter, but unless I'm misremembering things (which is entirely possible), in-store they had Starter Packs for multiple systems that included the Lloyd pack.

The picture on the sticker just shows the Lloyd minifigure on his toy tag base, but does say that it's the "Fun Pack" as opposed to just the figure, so I assume his vehicle build is included too.

Just confirmed both in-store and on the website that the Lloyd Fun Pack promo is available with both the PS4 and XBoxOne Starter Packs, but no others - it's for the two current top-of-the-line systems only.

My local Target still has some PS4 Starters with the Supergirl promo as well as others with Lloyd, and still others with none at all.

Here's a tip for any of you who, like me, had saved up a bunch of Toys R' Us Rewards for holiday shopping, only to find out that you can no longer use them on Lego:

Dimensions sets are considered video games, not Lego sets. So you should be able to still use your Rewards points toward them. 

Thanks for the tip!

As far as I can tell, none of the packs have really begun to climb in price on the secondary market yet, and lots of them are widely available discounted heavily, so it actually seems like a great time to jump in right now, despite the recent discontinuation announcement.

That said... bizarrely, it seems the packs that are hardest to find, at least in my area, are the Ninjago ones. One would think that with so many packs produced for that theme, plenty would still be everywhere, but most stores I've checked out lately either still have tons of them at full price (Toys 'R' Us) or apparently clearanced all the Ninjago packs a while ago and sold out (most other places), while they still have plenty of all the other Year 1 stuff. Ninjago is therefore one of the only two Year 1 themes I don't have anything from yet (the other being Midway Arcade, since I haven't gotten that Level Pack yet).

I did recently see the Sensei Wu and Lloyd Fun Packs at a local Target, but they were still $11.99 or so, and I know they're out there somewhere on clearance, so I'm holding out for better prices (had the game not been confirmed as discontinued, I'd probably be more open to buying stuff at full price so as to better support it, but since we're past the point at which it can be saved, I'm just trying to get the best deals I can, so I can better afford it all).

On 18/10/2017 at 5:38 PM, Ashnflash said:

Finally confirmation! Now everyone can stop talking about Year 3....

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2017-10-18-the-sad-slow-death-of-lego-dimensions

A stupid decision if there ever was one. LEGO and WB are going to regret the amount of money this will lose them.

On 30/10/2017 at 3:18 AM, MatthewRC said:

• The Simpsons
  • Back to the Future
  • Doctor Who
  • Scooby-Doo
  • Sonic the Hedgehog

LEGO Doctor Who absolutely needs to happen. The show is literally the perfect fit for the LEGO videogame format, and it would therefore be crazy for LEGO and WB Games to never make a game like this. If I were LEGO, I would be releasing a full range of sets to tie-in with Series 11 next year and a videogame with as many of the surviving Doctors and companions they can afford, plus Nicholas Briggs to voice whichever enemies would be included. It would also provide the biggest character roster in any LEGO game ever.

Ghostbusters would be fun, but those of us who have the Story Pack would basically just be partly buying levels we already have. Same with Fantastic Beasts, and The LEGO Batman Movie (although I personally don't have that SP).

Sonic The Hedgehog would be a lot of fun. I loved the Level Pack for that.

Back to the Future wouldn't have enough characters to form a roster, but playing through full LEGO versions of each film would be fun.

The Simpsons is another I'd love to see, especially if it was based on already existing episodes rather than a new story. I'd love to play through Marge vs. The Monorail, or Itchy & Scratchy Land.

Scooby-Doo doesn't really need to happen. The LEGO Dimensions levle in the style of the original 60s Hannah-Barbera cartoon was fun but I don't know if it could sustain a whole game. Plus it would have BTTF's character roster problem.

Has anyone ever determined what happens if one connects two Toy Pads to the same system?

1 hour ago, LEGODalekbuster523 said:

A stupid decision if there ever was one. LEGO and WB are going to regret the amount of money this will lose them.

To be honest, I doubt it. Unfortunately, I suspect the game may actually have been losing money, and if not, at the very least it surely wasn't very profitable, or they'd have kept releasing material for it. And if the game hadn't made a decent profit in two years of availability, it seems unlikely a third year of new releases would suddenly turn it into the cash cow they'd surely hoped for all along.

At least the game did come out rather than being cancelled outright (i.e., never having been released at all), and got dozens of packs from some fantastic licenses and themes, some of which we'll likely never see in any other official LEGO thing. There's still a lot to be glad about with this game, and I think for many of us, there's still a lot left of it to play - I know there is for me, anyway. I now have 22 packs for it, featuring 24 different playable character figures, from 13 different entertainment franchises and LEGO themes, and I plan to keep going.

7 hours ago, Blondie-Wan said:

To be honest, I doubt it. Unfortunately, I suspect the game may actually have been losing money, and if not, at the very least it surely wasn't very profitable, or they'd have kept releasing material for it. And if the game hadn't made a decent profit in two years of availability, it seems unlikely a third year of new releases would suddenly turn it into the cash cow they'd surely hoped for all along.

At least the game did come out rather than being cancelled outright (i.e., never having been released at all), and got dozens of packs from some fantastic licenses and themes, some of which we'll likely never see in any other official LEGO thing. There's still a lot to be glad about with this game, and I think for many of us, there's still a lot left of it to play - I know there is for me, anyway. I now have 22 packs for it, featuring 24 different playable character figures, from 13 different entertainment franchises and LEGO themes, and I plan to keep going.

If the game had been losing money, then it's their own fault for not releasing more packs for the Year One franchises.

If the game had been losing money, then it's their own fault for not releasing more packs for the Year One franchises.

I have a feeling the packs themselves were too expensive for the market they were designed for. If that's the case, then it doesn't matter what packs from which franchises you offer; there will simply be to little people buying them.

5 hours ago, LEGODalekbuster523 said:

Considering that the Year One packs were the first ones we started to see signs of overstocking and clearance pricing on, there's no reason to assume those franchises were any more successful than the later ones. And if not enough of the packs that were released in the first year sold, doubling down on those same franchises with even more packs wouldn't make much sense at all.

I don't want to seem rude, but you seem to have a tendency to assume that the things you personally would like and the things that would make good business sense for Lego are one and the same. It's an easy trap to fall into, but as AFOLs, our interests are often peripheral at best to those of the majority of Lego buyers. It's important to recognize that we are not the be-all and end-all of Lego's audience, and that our individual passion for certain themes doesn't make those themes more important or have more potential for success than others.

6 hours ago, LEGODalekbuster523 said:

They didn’t because them being overstocking proved that not as many people were as interested as they thought. That’s why year 2’s waves were always smaller, but consistent when compared to the first wave especially.

Not to mentioned that they strayed from the First Year IP’s in the event that that was the issue, though it’s hard to tell.

FWIW, one article I've read indicates they actually did in fact plan to release more packs for Year 1 franchises in Year 3, and at least one of them would have been a Doctor Who pack with Missy.

If that's the case, LEGODalekbuster523, I know on the one hand it stings terribly that it was apparently in the works and didn't happen. OTOH, at least you have the satisfaction of knowing that all those times in this thread you asked for more packs for Y1 themes in general and Doctor Who in particular, and others told you there's no way they'd ever want to do more Y1 packs, you were actually right about them surely wanting to do more with those properties.

11 hours ago, BlueberryWaffles said:

Looks like good sales are already starting soon. Five Below's Black Friday ad leaked, and it looks like they will have 2 for $5 Fun Packs.

They started doing those already, I thought. I picked up Gimli and Eris from there a couple weeks ago or so, and they were 2 for $5 then.

On 06/11/2017 at 2:18 PM, Lyichir said:

Considering that the Year One packs were the first ones we started to see signs of overstocking and clearance pricing on, there's no reason to assume those franchises were any more successful than the later ones. And if not enough of the packs that were released in the first year sold, doubling down on those same franchises with even more packs wouldn't make much sense at all.

I never saw many Doctor Who, Ghostbusters or Back to the Future packs anywhere. The only franchise they brought back from Year One - Ghostbusters (technically, even if it is 2016 Ghostbusters) - must have been their most successful Year Two also, as I rarely saw the 2016 Story Pack in shops. 

On 06/11/2017 at 3:56 PM, Blondie-Wan said:

FWIW, one article I've read indicates they actually did in fact plan to release more packs for Year 1 franchises in Year 3, and at least one of them would have been a Doctor Who pack with Missy.

If that's the case, LEGODalekbuster523, I know on the one hand it stings terribly that it was apparently in the works and didn't happen. OTOH, at least you have the satisfaction of knowing that all those times in this thread you asked for more packs for Y1 themes in general and Doctor Who in particular, and others told you there's no way they'd ever want to do more Y1 packs, you were actually right about them surely wanting to do more with those properties.

That's an interesting article, and makes a LEGO Doctor Who range timed for Series 11 seem likely.

I never saw many Doctor Who, Ghostbusters or Back to the Future packs anywhere. The only franchise they brought back from Year One - Ghostbusters (technically, even if it is 2016 Ghostbusters) - must have been their most successful Year Two also, as I rarely saw the 2016 Story Pack in shops. 

I think DC Comics has a better claim to being the only Year 1 franchise brought back for Year 2 (via the two promos).

Over here, the Back to the Future and Doctor Who Level Packs are still relatively easy to find, and commonly clearanced to half their MSRP. Perhaps availability varies by region?

That's an interesting article, and makes a LEGO Doctor Who range timed for Series 11 seem likely.

Well... I'd be leery of reading too much into that. LEGO Dimensions utilizes a number of properties that have either a single Ideas set outside the range of packs for this game, or no other LEGO releases at all. I know we'd dearly love a full-blown Doctor Who theme with numerous sets, a Minifigures series, etc., but if it were going to happen I think we'd have heard about it while the Ideas set was still widely, readily available.

It certainly isn't the first licensed entertainment property to get an official LEGO treatment that just scratches the surface of what could be done with it, and I'm sure it won't be the last. Alas.

27 minutes ago, Blondie-Wan said:

Well... I'd be leery of reading too much into that. LEGO Dimensions utilizes a number of properties that have either a single Ideas set outside the range of packs for this game, or no other LEGO releases at all. I know we'd dearly love a full-blown Doctor Who theme with numerous sets, a Minifigures series, etc., but if it were going to happen I think we'd have heard about it while the Ideas set was still widely, readily available.

Series 11 would be the perfect time for a full-blown range though. The first female Doctor is global news, and the first episode at least will be watched by a much bigger worldwide audience than usual because of 'The landmark factor'.

If a LEGO Doctor Who theme is ever going to happen, it's next year. 2018 is make or break for LEGO Doctor Who's future. The only other significant landmarks would be the 60th anniversary special in 2023 and whenever there's a black Doctor.

There's a question I've been asking on and off for over two years now, and I haven't been able to find an answer anywhere, even on Google:

On October 2, 2015 at 2:25 PM, Blondie-Wan said:

What I really want to know is what happens if you plug in two toy pads at once. I assume one just wouldn't work, but do we know for sure? It'd be awesome if it meant you could bring in up to fourteen characters / vehicles / gadgets / whatever...

And...

On March 6, 2016 at 10:30 AM, Blondie-Wan said:

My initial thought was that they'd allow one to use more than one toy pad / portal, for having more than seven characters / vehicles / creatures / gadgets, and/or allow more than two people to play at once. I don't think that's likely, though, but it would be cool.

(What does happen if one connects more than one Toy Pad to one's console? That's already physically possible to do, right? Can the game recognize more than one?)

(bolding for emphasis, twice)

And I'm not the only one who wants to know:

On December 31, 2016 at 1:12 PM, Ashnflash said:

Super random question but has anyone ever tried plugging in two portals? What happens? Does it let you use 14 characters?? I have a sealed one but before I open it and try I figured I'd ask you guys first. 

(Somebody did at least respond to Ashnflash's question, but only with a different question about using a toy pad from one system on another console...)

And once again...

On October 7, 2017 at 11:36 AM, Blondie-Wan said:

One thing I'm still wondering about is what happens when two or more toy pads are connected to the same console. It's been two years now since the game was released; surely someone has tried it by now, but I'm still not seeing that info anywhere (and I know it's been asked in this thread and elsewhere before, and not just by me). Anyone know?

So... anyone? Anyone? Bueller? Bueller?

(Oooh, Ferris Bueller's Day Off might've made a fun Level Pack... :p :D )

One more time, for the folks in the back...

On November 5, 2017 at 8:05 PM, Blondie-Wan said:

Has anyone ever determined what happens if one connects two Toy Pads to the same system?

So, anyway... what does happen with multiple Toy Pads on a single console? It seems preposterous that this still wouldn't be known, more than two years on, but as far as I can tell, no human being in history has ever tried it... 

Edited by Blondie-Wan

28 minutes ago, Hulk_Smash said:

Nothing happens, the second toy pad doesn't register, only the first one.

Huh. Well, that is not quite the payoff for two+ years of wondering I was hoping for... but thanks for answering.

:)

On 9-11-2017 at 10:39 PM, Blondie-Wan said:

Huh. Well, that is not quite the payoff for two+ years of wondering I was hoping for... but thanks for answering.

:)

Lol