TheBrickPal

LEGO Dimensions Discussion

There have been plenty of times where Lego has ended a line but not announced its cancellation.  Lord of the Rings comes to mind.  Everyone was hoping for a Minas Tirith or at least something Gondor in an assumed third wave.  Some Hobbit sets were made, because the movies were out, but LOTR went out with a whimper and not a bang.  I do not remember any cancellation announcements regarding things like Scooby Doo, Chima, Castle, or Pirates either, yet they are gone.  While it would be nice to have more packs for Dimensions, the warning signs are all there.  The only two packs I found in the Lego Store last week were in the little clearance bin near the register.  Toys R Us and Walmart both have significantly less now than they did when the year started.   It really does not look good.  

Apparently, FBTB posted this that he talked to an WB booth worker that he said their exploring options for 2018, so this can go in two ways:

1. Their looking for some more IPs to use for Year 3.

2. Looking for ways to do with the game. (e.g. getting canceled, porting complete game on PC, Switch, etc.)

...then again, FBTB did said the game is dead, sooooo... :shrug_confused:

19 minutes ago, LuigiBobLegoPants said:

Apparently, FBTB posted this that he talked to an WB booth worker that he said their exploring options for 2018, so this can go in two ways:

2. Looking for ways to do with the game. (e.g. getting canceled, porting complete game on PC, Switch, etc.)

Yes but let's be real. What does a booth worker know? And a WB rep. at that. Like I said earlier a WB announcer didn't even know that you build the Dimensions products. 

16 minutes ago, LuigiBobLegoPants said:

FBTB's hyperbole aside, if what this guy said is true, then Lego Dimensions is neither cancelled or having a year 3 and they're just going back to the drawing board. That's what I interpret it as.

Just now, The EthStu said:

FBTB's hyperbole aside, if what this guy said is true, then Lego Dimensions is neither cancelled or having a year 3 and they're just going back to the drawing board. That's what I interpret it as.

Dimensions rebooted. Take a year off like ninjago and really figure everything out and try to make the game better. Like get better character rights and stuff like that maybe

Edited by Falconfan1414

14 hours ago, LEGODalekbuster523 said:

Hopefully they announce Year Three.

You repeatedly post in this topic about year three. Please stop posting the same comment over and over again. You recently had a talk with @Captain Nemo. If you continue like this, we need to have a word again.

Huh. So the game might be in limbo....but is there really enough viability? The sets are never flying off the shelves and are frequently discounted. The general buying public just isn't into it. If they really wanted to revitalize the game, cost might be more effective than licenses, though I don't know how they would make prices lower. 

1 hour ago, 8BrickMario said:

Huh. So the game might be in limbo....but is there really enough viability? The sets are never flying off the shelves and are frequently discounted. The general buying public just isn't into it. If they really wanted to revitalize the game, cost might be more effective than licenses, though I don't know how they would make prices lower. 

I think they could lower the prices if they chose to do so. I'm sure not all of the frequent sales have been at a loss; the game should have some pretty decent margins, especially now. Granted that the standard pricing on Fun Packs seems to have already been permanently lowered once, from $14.99 USD to $11.99... but that should just mean the Team Packs should be lowered in turn, since they're each equivalent to two Fun Packs, just bundled (and the pricing reflected this economical approach, being $4.99 below what two Fun Packs would cost), but now a $24.99 Team Pack is $1.01 more than two $11.99 Fun Packs.

There have also always been plenty of sales on LD, some quite substantial. I suspect the standard pricing includes substantial margins, especially now, almost two years after launch. I think they might be able to halve the Starter Pack prices now and still make it profitable.

That said, they may not want to. Aside from whatever they get from selling the game and additional packs at full price, I can't help but wonder whether they actively rely on sales to get substantially more buyers, since undoubtedly lots of people put off by full pricing will jump at reduced ones if they think they're getting a great deal. Making the regular prices that low might diminish the impetus some consumers feel to buy it now whenever it's on sale.

I have all of the sets, including the ps4 dock w/ supergirl, but no console to play it on since I primarily game on PC. I guess a PC version is out of the question now so I probably should get a console before they shutdown all dimensions downloads/updates. Any particular console is suggested?

I stated that I already have the ps4 dock, which should also be compatible with ps3/wiiU, but I'm sure once the line is not renewed, docks will go for dollars anyway. Is there a particular platform version of the game that is the least problematic?

I would be so happy if the game went on hiatus. Just as long as when it comes back all the packs I've already purchased aren't useless. 

I also think that the rumoured technology thing about scanning in figures into the game would be a really awesome selling point and I hope that they pursue and master that! 

I think the game going on hiatus would be the best option. As much as I'd like a year 3, I'm willing to wait a while for the current stock to sell and give the devs more time to find new IPs to add or negotiate the rumored ones like Shrek or Minecraft

4 hours ago, Jim said:

You repeatedly post in this topic about year three. Please stop posting the same comment over and over again. You recently had a talk with @Captain Nemo. If you continue like this, we need to have a word again.

This is ridiculous. What can I even talk about on this forum anymore when I'm not even allowed to discuss Year Three in the LEGO Dimensions thread? 

Eurobricks is looking less like a forum worth visiting by the day.

Edited by LEGODalekbuster523

3 minutes ago, LEGODalekbuster523 said:

This is ridiculous. What can I even talk about on this forum anymore when I'm not even allowed to discuss Year Three in the LEGO Dimensions thread? 

You could talk about how much you like what is confirmed to be out, not what's very unlikely to occur.

Just now, GentlemanJoker said:

You could talk about how much you like what is confirmed to be out, not what's very unlikely to occur.

Problem is  there is nothing interesting to be released IMO. 

9 minutes ago, LEGODalekbuster523 said:

A discussion implies that two or more people are engaging in a back-and-forth conversation. You keep saying the same thing over and over. There's no give-and-take there. 

Back on topic: if anyone was experiencing any success in the toys-to-life genre, I'd be a lot more optimistic about Dimensions. But Skylanders is basically done. Disney Infinity is officially done. Nintendo has deprioritized Amiibo (though they have a different business model for those that will probably allow them to continue for a while). 

I really feel like Lego got in at the peak, and it's been downhill from there. The licenses have been interesting for the most part, and the compatibility with Lego System has given it more staying power than it would have otherwise have had. But TTL, like music games and motion-control games, is a fad that seems to be on its way out. 

10 minutes ago, LEGODalekbuster523 said:

Then don't say anything at all.

Anyways, they just announced that today's E3 Dimensions live stream is going to be showcasing the TTG Battle Arena.

51 minutes ago, LEGODalekbuster523 said:

Being on a forum means playing by the rules. If you don't like the upcoming sets, you don't go discussing the things that might come, or you wish would come. If there's nothing for you to discuss, don't post anything. There's no need to reply to each and every post. I keep getting loads of reports about your behavior, since you are derailing the topic again and again. Furthermore, you have been chambered recently and your behavior doesn't improve. Either you play by the rules, or we will be having a private talk very soon again. If you feel the need to discuss, please send me a PM. 

Let's get back to discussing dimensions.

36 minutes ago, LEGODalekbuster523 said:

Ssh, don't mention it. The mods don't count Year Three as LEGO Dimensions talk.

Look, man. This is a Discussion thread, not a Speculation thread. That means that you can not keep rambling on about things which are never going to happen or at least not have been suggested to become reality. 

If there's nothing to discuss, then leave this topic be. You probably have a life outside of this thread and Lego Dimensions, too. 

The idea of being able to scan your own minifigs into the game is certainly interesting.  Hopefully in theory it would not clash with nonparticipating licences so far in the game --for example  Star Wars.  How many of us would scan Darth Vader, stormtroopers, your favorite Jedi, etc. in and play as them if you could?  It would also be fun to be able to get a homemade character such as something you created at a Build-a-minifigure station in the Lego Store.  I suppose you could take the photo, upload the JPG, and then something in the software would recognize it as a minifig and pair it up with all known heads, torsos, and legs in a database.  Then, there is the issue of abilities.  Could you assign an ability to a character, especially one that you do not currently have represented in an official pack?  Lego could be uneasy about allowing that as it would bypass the need to buy certain characters to gain all abilities in the game.  It does sound intriguing though..... 

8 hours ago, LEGODalekbuster523 said:

Ssh, don't mention it. The mods don't count Year Three as LEGO Dimensions talk.

You know why mods have talked to you. If you just stop continuously and repeatedly stop talking about your wishlists and hopes then there won't be a need for you to be talked to or warned. You know there is a wishlist thread, you've posted in it but you still for some reason chose to post here. The rules here are extremely straight forward just follow them and stop complaining and talking back to the mods :thumbup:

I can't wait to see the TTG fight each other in the Battle Arena stream! Can't wait to see Cyborg in action hopefully if they get the proper toy tag :grin:

Edited by Ashnflash

8 hours ago, AFOLguy1970 said:

The idea of being able to scan your own minifigs into the game is certainly interesting.  Hopefully in theory it would not clash with nonparticipating licences so far in the game --for example  Star Wars.  How many of us would scan Darth Vader, stormtroopers, your favorite Jedi, etc. in and play as them if you could?  It would also be fun to be able to get a homemade character such as something you created at a Build-a-minifigure station in the Lego Store.  I suppose you could take the photo, upload the JPG, and then something in the software would recognize it as a minifig and pair it up with all known heads, torsos, and legs in a database.  Then, there is the issue of abilities.  Could you assign an ability to a character, especially one that you do not currently have represented in an official pack?  Lego could be uneasy about allowing that as it would bypass the need to buy certain characters to gain all abilities in the game.  It does sound intriguing though..... 

How many would scan in minifigures of TV/film characters who aren't kid friendly and upload the footage to YouTube, I wonder? LEGO wouldn't like that.