TheBrickPal

LEGO Dimensions Discussion

11 hours ago, rob-ot5000 said:

You're definitely setting yourself up for disappointment.

Yeah, you are setting yourself up. By this time last year we had a Year 2 trailer, this year all we have is a interview with Arthur Parsons with a sad face.

6 hours ago, J4ck said:

You don't understand, they are not getting into dimensions, something to do with Disney's side, Disney even said themselves they won't be added to Dimensions

'Something to do with Disney's side' - Yes, Disney Infinity. Now over.

I'm coming back to this thread after months away, getting all caught up on the developments of the last few months, and I must say I'm disappointed. I had encountered the cancellation rumors elsewhere, but wasn't putting much stock into them until now. Argh. I've wanted to get into this game since even before it was released, but haven't been able to - I don't even have one of the five systems that runs it yet - and now I find out it's being cut short before I can properly throw myself into it. I have started getting some of the packs for it, though, in hopes of getting the game and an appropriate console eventually, and not wanting to be stuck unable to get desired packs for it by the time I do. All I have so far, though, are the Simpsons and Portal Level Packs, and the Wizard of Oz Wicked Witch Fun Pack. At this point it seems profoundly unlikely I'll be able to get everything, but hopefully I can at least get something for each franchise / world, and all the essential stuff I care about most (Back to the Future, Doctor Who, Ghostbusters, Adventure Time, The Lord of the Rings, and The LEGO Movie, plus various single-pack themes). Three down, many many many more to go...

Onto other things. The additions reportedly planned for Year 3 are an odd bunch. Some, like Avatar: The Last Airbender, seem like no-brainers to me, but others not so much. Minecraft seems like a good choice at first, but then with LEGO Worlds and regular Minecraft already out there, it seems a bit stranger the more one thinks about it... though I guess the draw would be in being able to use the wealth of characters from outside franchises in the Minecraft environment, have interaction between Steve and the other characters, etc. James Bond doesn't strike me as the most LEGO-friendly property out there, and a while ago I wouldn't have thought they'd ever entertain the idea at all, but then I'd have said the same thing about The Simpsons, The Big Bang Theory, and Gremlins, so obviously I'm not the best judge of such things. Still, though, I'd rather see them just use their own in-house Agents theme.

They've certainly seemed to enjoy mining the 1980s for properties for this game (Back to the Future, Ghostbusters, Gremlins, The Goonies, E.T.: The Extra-Terrestrial, The A-Team, Knight Rider, Midway Arcade, etc.). I can think of a few more I'd like to have seen added that I think could have worked well:

Big Trouble in Little China

Labyrinth

The NeverEnding Story

Ah, well. At least this caps the total number of packs I have to worry about. I just wish I had some of those 99 Cents Below stores near me, though it sounds like they've largely been cleared out now anyway. I'll have to pay normal prices, I guess, and pick up as much as I can while I can.

16 minutes ago, J4ck said:

Personally I think there will be a year 3 but just a small year to round things up

That's what I reckon will happen if we get a Year 3 we'll probably get a few more franchises after Wave 9 before it bites the dust but I'm guessing they probably won't go for anything big at this point and maybe they'll just go after smaller franchises or something but again we'll see what E3 has to offer. But I won't go into E3 with high expectations for Lego Dimensions if we aren't getting anymore franchises after Wave 9.   

As much as I love and adore LEGO, I have to say this (presumed) premature cancellation coming after those of LEGO Universe, Life of George, Fusion, and LEGO Minifigures Online doesn't do much to foment trust in LEGO's future digital endeavors - much the opposite, actually (and regrettably).

:sceptic:

Just now, Blondie-Wan said:

As much as I love and adore LEGO, I have to say this (presumed) premature cancellation coming after those of LEGO Universe, Life of George, Fusion, and LEGO Minifigures Online doesn't do much to foment trust in LEGO's future digital endeavors - much the opposite, actually (and regrettably).

:sceptic:

"Life of George?" What's that all about?

31 minutes ago, Starscream759 said:

"Life of George?" What's that all about?

It was yet another LEGO attempt at bridging the gap between physical bricks and virtual play. It consisted of a small set of basic bricks plus a downloadable app for iOS and Android devices. One would do things like have a timed build to recreate a "2d" brick sculpture (single player of bricks) and then photograph it with one's phone's camera, for example. It was kind of neat, but didn't last long.

Here's one EB thread on it. It should give you an idea of what it's like. 

Unfortunately, when LEGO discontinued it they didn't merely discontinue the set, as one might reasonably expect; they all pulled the (free) app from distribution (while there were still some copies of the set here and there in stores), so that someone who bought the set late would be unable to download the corresponding app and make full use of the bricks. Fortunately the bricks would still be perfectly good, usable, ordinary LEGO bricks, but I'm sure a few people felt stung by buying a set with a promised interactive digital component, only to find it no longer available. I don't know why they felt a need to pull the free app out of distribution, but it's no longer around.

1 hour ago, Starscream759 said:

That's what I reckon will happen if we get a Year 3 we'll probably get a few more franchises after Wave 9 before it bites the dust but I'm guessing they probably won't go for anything big at this point and maybe they'll just go after smaller franchises or something but again we'll see what E3 has to offer. But I won't go into E3 with high expectations for Lego Dimensions if we aren't getting anymore franchises after Wave 9.   

They're not gonna talk about dimensions for 20 minutes on each day over 3 days if they are gonna cancel it.

Edited by J4ck

19 minutes ago, J4ck said:

They're not gonna talk about dimensions for 20 minutes on each day over 3 days if they are gonna cancel it.

Then again we don't know WHAT Arthur Parsons will talk about at E3 in regards to Lego Dimensions. For now we can only guess what it might be anyway.

20 hours ago, The EthStu said:

The snark is strong with you, isn't it? 

Lol ya. I've just grown super tired of comments like this with no validity or  substance in them. 

4 hours ago, J4ck said:

No but there are 5 packs to show off. Which means 5 new battle arenas and 7 new characters. And when they announce the cancellation I'm sure they are going to be bombarded with questions. 

On 6/1/2017 at 0:24 PM, legozebra said:

How to Train Your Dragon was considered very early even before year 1, but third parties weren't interested.

James Bond was pitched as not just Dimensions but a full game, and a mockup trailer was made, but it was considered too adult for Lego and replaced with Mission Impossible.

Avatar, Despicable Me, Looney Tunes, Universal Monsters, Tom & Jerry, Godzilla, The Smurfs, Thunderbirds, Tintin, Angry Birds, and Shrek were some IPs considered, but most of the third parties were not interested.

All of these sound very  interesting, but how come there were grapples with the Looney Tunes and Tom and Jerry franchises, aren't they WB properties? Universal Monsters would have been nice, especially in light of Universal's currently developing Dark Universe, but perhaps we could see a Universal Classic Monsters CMS in the future instead.

Now I really can't believe that they actually considered James Bond at all, since the franchise seems to me to be a absolute NO! :oh3: :def_shrug:

4 hours ago, Starscream759 said:

Then again we don't know WHAT Arthur Parsons will talk about at E3 in regards to Lego Dimensions. For now we can only guess what it might be anyway.

All right, I'll start. The cynical and more realistic side of me says that's all they'll show us. If Lego Dimensions is cancelled, then I can imagine them stretching out the gameplay sessions to only cover wave 9.

Edited by The EthStu

9 minutes ago, The EthStu said:

All right, I'll start. The cynical and more realistic side of me says that's all they'll show us. If Lego Dimensions is cancelled, then I can imagine them stretching out the gameplay sessions to only cover wave 9.

It's quite possible it's quite possible. I'm not saying it's not the case I'm just saying to not go into E3 about Lego Dimensions with high expectations we already know Wave 9's coming in September that we can be sure of but when the announcement of the game being cancelled for us at the moment is not certain. For all we know it could be straight after Wave 9's hit the stores or they announce it at the very beginning of next year. 

Edited by Starscream759

14 hours ago, LEGODalekbuster523 said:

'Something to do with Disney's side' - Yes, Disney Infinity. Now over.

Let's end the Disney, Star Wars discussion until we have tangible information, shall we?

7 hours ago, Ashnflash said:

Lol ya. I've just grown super tired of comments like this with no validity or  substance in them. 

No but there are 5 packs to show off. Which means 5 new battle arenas and 7 new characters. And when they announce the cancellation I'm sure they are going to be bombarded with questions. 

True, so who knows?

23 minutes ago, Jim said:

Let's end the Disney, Star Wars discussion until we have tangible information, shall we?

Thank you :)

Businesswise it would be silly to tell the public that dimensions is ending while there are still a few packs on the way. You are killing sales then. 

So i expect no words of dimensions coming to an end at E3. Just gameplay from the new sets and i think they are going to emphasise on the new Marvel Superheroes 2 game. 

20 hours ago, Starscream759 said:

Or just focus on franchises already in the game. 

Doctor Who Series 10 Story Pack with Bill Potts

Harry Potter Level Pack with Ron Weasley

Wizard of Oz Fun Pack with Dorothy

etc

Just now, LEGODalekbuster523 said:

etc

You just love beating dead horses.

1 hour ago, LEGODalekbuster523 said:

etc

Why are you doing this.... Literally why... But more importantly how.

23 hours ago, Blondie-Wan said:

Labyrinth

The NeverEnding Story

These would have fit in so well with what they've created, and I would have purchased them instantly.  Sadly, it seems that the chance will never come with Dimensions ending.

When's E3 again? It's been a while since I've paid attention to the event as a whole. It's always in the summer, E3 when it's on that much has always been the case for me.

Just now, Starscream759 said:

When's E3 again? It's been a while since I've paid attention to the event as a whole. It's always in the summer, E3 when it's on that much has always been the case for me.

6/13 to 6/15. So we won't have to wait very long.

2 minutes ago, The EthStu said:

6/13 to 6/15. So we won't have to wait very long.

So it's Tuesday to Thursday that we'll be getting information about the game. Maybe not so much on the game itself and it could just be on the new packs we are getting in September but one thing's for sure we are pretty much going to get some confirmation on what they will do with the game. We'll probably get like small bits of gameplay and maybe an interview so I guess we'll have to keep our eyes peeled on that front. 

Edited by Starscream759