TheBrickPal

LEGO Dimensions Discussion

Well, Betelgeuse himself still looks a bit disappointing due to the cut-off stripes, but I'm happy about the sandworm. The Powerpuff Girls look great, and the TTG minifigures are definitely a bit creepy and not my preference, but I'll probably get them, anyway. If only Beast Boy had a normal face so I could put his great hairpiece and head on the Jokerland version. 

The TTG eyes look awful hahahahahaha

Also, Betelgeuse and the Joker working together???

Edited by Robert8

Betelgeuze world looks like fun. The hair on beastboy is a nice new one, but what about those eyes on ttg?! Ugly! PPG can be fun but i'm not superhyped. My girlfriend wants them probably. 

All in all, i like betelgeuze best. 

Wow these sets look extremely colorful and fun.

the only one I'm not leaning towards is the Beetlejuice one, only because I've never seen the movie, but I can remed theat, I suppose

Also, Betelgeuse is the name of a star, whereas Beetlejuice is the name of the iconic movie/character. They are pronounced the same, however.

Edited by Penkid11

44 minutes ago, Penkid11 said:

Also, Betelgeuse is the name of a star, whereas Beetlejuice is the name of the iconic movie/character. They are pronounced the same, however.

Beetlejuice is the name of the movie/the words of the summoning incantation- Betelgeuse is the name of the ghost. 

7 minutes ago, LEGODalekbuster523 said:

So LEGO Dimensions isn't ending then...

It's supposed to end after this last wave. That's what the rumors have been for a long while.

1 hour ago, LEGODalekbuster523 said:

It's supposed to end after this wave which was pushed back to September in order to stretch out the life span of the game. 

The Powerpuff Girls packs really do look good and I'm still gonna go for Buttercup though even if it's not the most exciting pack I want. Beetlejuice, don't know maybe? I mean I love the film but the figure for Beetlejuice just looks a bit iffy even though I like the design. I don't know maybe some footage to convince me otherwise. TTG? Defiantly not getting. I mean Raven just looks odd, Beast Boy is a bloody joke while Starfire. Dear god what happened to her? Her eyes are so god damn wide that I swear it's creepy to look at. And plus it's Teen Titans Go! what more is there to said about that show?

10 hours ago, 8BrickMario said:

Beetlejuice is the name of the movie/the words of the summoning incantation- Betelgeuse is the name of the ghost. 

I stand by my obliviousness for the sake of those who are also oblivious.

10 hours ago, LEGODalekbuster523 said:

We've mentioned it multiple times that this would be the final wave before things go kaput.

There's a new horse in town, and you've given it a good whack. Keep it up and this one will be dust too...

There are some interesting tidbits revealed regarding the development of Dimensions and some cancelled plans according to a source in TT Games. Regarding his credibility - he's been trustworthy in the past. Obviously I'd take this all with a grain of salt though.

The patch update released recently removed the exact amount of Gold bricks that would be found in a Story Pack, which was stated to have been a cancelled Minecraft Story Pack with Steve.

How to Train Your Dragon was considered very early even before year 1, but third parties weren't interested.

James Bond was pitched as not just Dimensions but a full game, and a mockup trailer was made, but it was considered too adult for Lego and replaced with Mission Impossible.

Avatar, Despicable Me, Looney Tunes, Universal Monsters, Tom & Jerry, Godzilla, The Smurfs, Thunderbirds, Tintin, Angry Birds, and Shrek were some IPs considered, but most of the third parties were not interested.

Year three had a new peripheral that involved scanning any figure with a camera and importing it into the game. New story was also planned.

Finally, there's a really interesting development article on the toy tags with photos of prototypes: http://www.brickstolife.com/the-evolution-of-dimensions-toy-tags/

Edited by legozebra

Interesting. I'm happy with what we got. Universal horror is the only franchise I would have wanted, and the development seems to have led to a good solution. It's a bit sad that this will ultimately be a game with no real conclusion, but it's alright. I wonder how scan-in figures were to work technologically (How would they be ID'd? How would the game create models corresponding to the figures? Why would we want to play as them- would your own figures get powers and abilities?), and I think a character customizer with a rewriteable character Toy Tag a la the vehicles/gadgets would have been a much more logical way to do something like it. 

Oh my... Godzilla? Tintin? Universal monsters? I would be soooo happy with these themes. Maybe they were already busy on tintin when making the cmf dog show host. That dog is pretty much snowy after all. But my most anticipated theme would be Godzilla. So awesome. 

Daaang. I would have loved to have LEGO Tintin and Universal Monsters... and Shrek. Obviously.

4 hours ago, 8BrickMario said:

Interesting. I'm happy with what we got. Universal horror is the only franchise I would have wanted, and the development seems to have led to a good solution. It's a bit sad that this will ultimately be a game with no real conclusion, but it's alright. I wonder how scan-in figures were to work technologically (How would they be ID'd? How would the game create models corresponding to the figures? Why would we want to play as them- would your own figures get powers and abilities?), and I think a character customizer with a rewriteable character Toy Tag a la the vehicles/gadgets would have been a much more logical way to do something like it. 

They were in talks with a 3D scanning company (the name escapes me) but it seemed legitimate.

1 hour ago, x105Black said:

That was a very interesting read, thanks!

Yeah, no problem. I found it fascinating as well and am looking forward to the eventual article detailing exactly what was I store for Year Three once cancellation is announced. 

Also, Vortech's interactions were leaked as well, although it's unclear whether or not he will ever be released: http://www.brickstolife.com/lego-dimensions-lord-vortech-hidden-character-interactions-dialogue/

Well damn looks I was right about them releasing stuff that could've been in the game. It was just a matter of time and seeing the franchises that they were gonna put in there I have to wonder what they could've done with them if there were any third parties that wanted them. But still there's a huge amount there: James Bond, Shrek, How to Train your Dragon, Minecraft, Looney Tunes so many there. 

3 hours ago, Starscream759 said:

Well damn looks I was right about them releasing stuff that could've been in the game. It was just a matter of time and seeing the franchises that they were gonna put in there I have to wonder what they could've done with them if there were any third parties that wanted them. But still there's a huge amount there: James Bond, Shrek, How to Train your Dragon, Minecraft, Looney Tunes so many there. 

It's crazy to me how far Minecraft went along to the point that it was included in the Year 2 update and then removed a few months ago. I'd imagine development was almost completed until they realized they couldn't manage to sell enough copies of an expensive Story Pack.

On 6/2/2017 at 3:24 AM, legozebra said:

... Tintin ... were some IPs considered, but most of the third parties were not interested.

Shame.

Edited by SandMirror38

47 minutes ago, SandMirror38 said:

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

The heirs Hergé are very greedy i believe.  I wouldn't be surprised if tintin just was too expensive. A level pack with Tintin and snowy, a fun pack with captain Haddock and builds of the rocket to the moon, a giant mushroom and a can with the crab with the golden claws... if only. 

And godzilla would be fun too, with a mothra build and son of godZilla funpack :-p

This also means we will never get any ideas sets with these themes, because the ip's don't want to. 

I don't think Tintin would do too well in the US. It's just not as popular historically over here, and I imagine European sales on such a pack would dwarf the US sales.

Looney Toons, Universal Monsters and Smurfs would have been amazing

I wonder what they would have done with Looney Tunes. I'd imagine Bugs Bunny and a Tweety/Sylvester Team Pack, maybe, but what would the characters be capable of? The only character I can think of with any kind of gameplay potential is Duck Dodgers. 

Although I'm VERY glad Despicable Me wasn't happening. Besides Mega-whatever having the rights to the franchise, it's good that we don't have any LEGO Minion minifigures on the way.