TheBrickPal

LEGO Dimensions Discussion

2 hours ago, LuigiBobLegoPants said:

But what happens if the game ends? Are they gonna have a "Complete" version with all characters accessible, or just abandon the whole game all together?

There will be no more LEGO Dimensions and instead they'll make LEGO Marvel Superheroes 2, LEGO Batman 4, The LEGO Ninjago Videogame, LEGO Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales and LEGO Doctor Who: The Videogame.

Reminds me a bit of what happened with lego the hobbit where they announced a DLC for the last movie that never came. Let's hope that they try to fix as many bugs as possible until the final release. It would be sad to see the game abandonned with the current bugs.

It is a little sad of course, hearing Dimensions will stop after wave 2, but i'm soooooo glad that we have an E.T, a Mr. T, Gremlins and some more. 

A lesson learnt for Lego could be, that there are a lot of people that want more specific (licensed) minifigs with a small build to go along; they should make a new sort of licensed figs range.

What I heard Year 3 was going to be bigger than year 2 - there was going to be a new peripheral (a collaboration between TT Games, LEGO, and PhotonX) that would've wiped out all other toys to life competition, allowing any character and vehicle you want in the game. No idea how that would have worked. Well, it won't happen now unfortunately.

Just now, just2good said:

What I heard Year 3 was going to be bigger than year 2 - there was going to be a new peripheral (a collaboration between TT Games, LEGO, and PhotonX) that would've wiped out all other toys to life competition, allowing any character and vehicle you want in the game. No idea how that would have worked. Well, it won't happen now unfortunately.

Sounds like it would have been great! PhotonX's involvement would have been quite interesting. And wiping out ALL other Toys-to-Life games entirely? Must have been something BIG. Darn.

Oh wow. That sounds really cool.

:cry3:

Btw, just saw this on Reddit. Honestly, you shouldn't waste your time there. You don't deserve that. Thank you for telling us all this info when you didn't have to. You've even said that you're done with leaks before, but you're telling us this because you feel we deserve to know. Sorry about the kind of responses you're getting, but I just wanted to let you know there are some of us who appreciate all that you're doing. :thumbup:

Edited by npgcole

People in various places keep saying "but Dimensions can't end, it has a three year plan!"... Yeah, and LEGO Universe had a five year plan, but it only slightly lived beyond one.

http://kotaku.com/5660854/lego-universe-delivers-a-compelling-online-experience

While the game is now live, the folks at NetDevil are still hard at work developing where it's headed.

The team already has a five year plan in place that includes major story developments and new additions to play, like the ability to fight other players in special areas.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2011/11/04/lego-universe-to-shut-down

Just slightly over a year since it first launched, the LEGO Group has today announced plans to shut down LEGO Universe, the LEGO MMO. 

Plans change.

Edited by jamesster

Oh, I also keep seeing people saying "but Arthur Parsons said Year 3 was coming just 20 days before these allegations of it being canceled!"...

LU's cancellation happened within a day. Developers were at their desks one morning, working on the game, were suddenly called into a meeting, and told that the decision to cancel the game had been made. Unfortunately the most detailed account of what happened that day is no longer online (it was from one of the LU community managers, Annie Kang, on a fan-operated LU forum - Lunibook - that closed years ago... And while I have much of the forum backed up, it's currently on an external hard drive a few thousand miles away)... So this is the only remaining story on the internet I can find that mentions it:

I was working on adding colors to this sketch right before the team sat in on the meeting informing us that LEGO Universe was going to be closed...

... But even that's enough to show how quickly this can happen.

Edited by jamesster

So what I would guess based off what I have seen of just2good's posts is that this is not an end to a Lego toys-to-life game necessarily, just Dimensions itself. We could still get a game like it with a different name in the future. I don't want to believe it's ending just because just2good says so and would like an official reveal, but I think he's probably going to be right. 

3 hours ago, just2good said:

Any character and vehicle as in more than seven in the game at once, or that you could build random minifigures and vehicles out of LEGO parts, scan it on the pad and it would appear in the game?

Dang. So like scan any Lego minifig into the game? That would have been amazing. Still, I'm glad with what we got. No one expected this to result in us actually getting Beetlejuice, Gremlins, or E.T. when this was announced.

Also, everyone just stay away from the Dimensions subreddit. They're in extreme denial mode right now. J2G, thanks for keeping with this intense fanbase through all of this. I appreciate that you're giving us all this info.

Well he's doing his job at least: spreading the news as it happens. But what do you think's gonna happen after the game's ended? Will we get another Lego Adaptation game or something new I wonder?

Doesn't really change my purchasing plans regardless as I want the other packs announced. Couldn't think of too many other themes that could sustain a whole other year. Tis a shame considering the increased quality of the packs; although I understand the technical issues probably cut down on profitability.

Thanks for the insider information, J2G.

I wouldn't really mind if they went back to the usual TT games. I enjoyed The LEGO Batman Movie Story Pack, but I would've enjoyed a full game more. Playing as all the villains and crazy batsuits would've been awesome. Hopefully The LEGO Ninjago Movie gets one, but it's probably too late for that, since it was likely planned for Dimensions. Of course we can probably expect more Star Wars games for the new movies, and they seem to like making DC/Marvel ones.

You guys are so respectful. I really appreciate that. :classic:

I'm not sure how it would work but it definitely was any character you build opposed to more than seven characters at a time.

This is my first time posting and I'm just going to give my two cents on this ordeal. It's only a rumor at this point, I don't this anything is concrete or set in stone. I'm not saying it won't end after year two, or end after year three or whatever. Just2good is a pretty good source of info and has been pretty reliable in the past. But people that get insider info aren't always correct. Like Laura Kate Dale, a major Switch leaker. Although she got a lot right, there's still plenty missing that's suppose to happen or has been debunked. Becuase things change. At this point there's no reason to think it's ending or not. There was a rumor that Skylanders was ending, but it ended up just being that they weren't getting a new game this year. Disney Infinity on the other hand was a major last second decision. Plus we have contradictory info from The Brick Show, which I also have no reason to denounce at this point. It'll be interesting what happens in the end but I just hope for the best. So yeah, that's what I have to say. 

20 minutes ago, just2good said:

I'm not sure how it would work but it definitely was any character you build opposed to more than seven characters at a time.

Man, that sounds rad. I don't know how that would would work, but it sounds awesome.

They should like, make a totally new game that uses that concept. It wouldn't have separately-sold packs, because you'd use your own LEGO collection. That way, you'd only have to purchase the game, and LEGO wouldn't have to worry about pack sales. 

Welcome EbTheGuy! I think we're all holding out for the best here! 

Edited by Ashnflash

Dang, that sucks. I wonder if it's a case of 'it's barely making money anymore' or if it's more like 'it's not making enough money relative to the about of funds we're putting into it'. Sadly the latter is probably true.

All I can say is that I hope they do release information and concept art for what they had in store for Year 3, 'cause what J2G said about it sounds VERY interesting and I'd love to hear some more specifics.

Edited by LegoTFGuy

I would buy any Ninjago Level Pack or Story Pack for sure... when it goes on sale. I'd also buy a standalone PS4 Ninjago game without hesitation, but don't take me for granted and put out a buggy product.

If sales are an issue, maybe they should keep the starter pack at $29 rather than $89. I've spent more money on Lego Dimensions (Fun Packs, Level Pack, Story Pack) than any other game ever.

8 hours ago, jamesster said:

Oh, I also keep seeing people saying "but Arthur Parsons said Year 3 was coming just 20 days before these allegations of it being canceled!"...

LU's cancellation happened within a day. Developers were at their desks one morning, working on the game, were suddenly called into a meeting, and told that the decision to cancel the game had been made. Unfortunately the most detailed account of what happened that day is no longer online (it was from one of the LU community managers, Annie Kang, on a fan-operated LU forum - Lunibook - that closed years ago... And while I have much of the forum backed up, it's currently on an external hard drive a few thousand miles away)... So this is the only remaining story on the internet I can find that mentions it:

... But even that's enough to show how quickly this can happen.

Well... that explains why they had a big happy birthday celebration on October 26th, 2011, only to be followed 9 days later with the most unexpected (to me, at least :P) announcement ever on November 4th. I always wondered why there was such a sudden shift...

It sucks that Dimensions is ending, but Reddit, just like YouTube comments can be extremely toxic.

Year 3 sounded pretty sweet, and considering I have the Wii U version just like you, I had to buy a hard drive for it, and it works perfectly fine for me (btw i have a 32gb Wii U).

I am sad but happy at the same time with bittersweetness that the end is near for dimensions, as it was a treasure trove for exclusive mini figures, but now I can start saving money for other themes.

Thanks for all the insider news Justin, as you are one of my inspirations for making my own Lego Review channel: The Channel Of Lego & More.

Good luck with college man, it's super tough when you get to a major university, and stay just2good!

9 hours ago, Starscream759 said:

Well he's doing his job at least: spreading the news as it happens. But what do you think's gonna happen after the game's ended? Will we get another Lego Adaptation game or something new I wonder?

Probably more adaptations. I wouldn't be surprised if there's a new LEGO Pirates of the Caribbean game.

6 hours ago, just2good said:

Damn, so I could have had Clara Oswald in the game with a build of her motorbike from Day of the Doctor.