TheBrickPal

LEGO Dimensions Discussion

Awesome! I love Wheatley! Really wish we would have gotten him instead of the companion cube, but oh well. Not sure about GLaDOS's design. She is nicely detailed, but looks a bit oversized and I'm not sure I like the ribbed look of her shell. Will definitely try to recreate her though! :sweet:

A little birdie tells me that the game comes with a default level for all franchises, but the level packs unlock a free-roam world of each franchise. :wink:

If that's true (which I trust it is) that will be great! More Portal is always a good thing! :grin: (As is more BTTF!)

Man, Chell nearly, very nearly, spoke in that trailer. Good thing it didn't happen (BTW, neat live-action depiction).

I'm certain the modding community will have a field day with LEGO Portal. Look at it! Just a few extra textures away from something equivalent of a Definitive Edition game, especially if they expand on the free-roam world. Open-ended Portal game, anyone?

Edited by XAxles

How come they got an actress for Chell with the correct black hair, but the minifig still has light brown hair? At her lightest, Chell was maybe a very dark brown - never even close to light brown.

How come they got an actress for Chell with the correct black hair, but the minifig still has light brown hair? At her lightest, Chell was maybe a very dark brown - never even close to light brown.

The minifigure's hair looks light brown to you? Really? It looks like dark brown to me...

I must admit I'm not terribly familiar with Portal yet - I think I might have played just one of the games for about two minutes once, and don't really know all the associated backstory and lore, but I did just want to respond to this:

Is that Alésia Glidewell, the motion-capture actress they used in Portal and Portal 2?

A motion-capture performer named Glidewell? Oh, that's just perfect! :D

A little birdie tells me that the game comes with a default level for all franchises, but the level packs unlock a free-roam world of each franchise. :wink:

Well... huh. I must say, that's surprising, though certainly welcome if true.

I was under the impression the Level Packs would be the sole sources of environments for those franchises that have them. It would probably help with the licensing costs if they had to pay each rightsholder for certain franchises only for those add-on packs that actually contain material from those franchises, and that everything in the base game / starter pack was stuff owned by either Warner Bros. or LEGO.

My guess was that the multiverse of the game included Legends of Chima, NinjaGo, The LEGO Movie, The Lord of the Rings, The Wizard of Oz, DC Comics, and Scooby-Doo, but all the others were added via Level Packs. Thus, if you got, say, the Fun Packs with Bart Simpson and/or Krusty the Clown, you would have those The Simpsons characters, but not Springfield, the world they're from; they'd just run around Middle-Earth, the land of Oz, etc. instead. Similarly, if you got the Back to the Future Fun Pack with Doc Brown but not the Back to the Future Level Pack, you'd have Doc Brown, but not Hill Valley. But getting the Level Pack for any world / universe / whatever would add that whole entire realm to the game (as well as giving you a single playable character from that franchise).

But if that's not how it works... well, hmmm.

It's likely because black for that part is rather rare. According to bricklink, the only time it was in black was for the UK-only 2012 Olympics Judo minifigure.

tgb004.jpg

http://www.bricklink...sp?P=87990&in=M

The chosen color is dark brown:

18859619372_22250c92e7.jpg

I guess time to put the black version on my bricklink wanted list.

For reference:

tumblr_inline_n4atwog6d31qkarsx.jpg

I wonder if the fun pack will also come with an orange tip for the portal gun (yes, that piece comes in trans-orange).

UPDATE: it looks like Chell in Portal 1 had black hair and in Portal 2, they lightened it a tiny bit to be very dark brown. And some casting sites lists Alesia Glidewell's hair color as brown. Oh gawd, is this turning into one of those "color of that dress" discussions?

20585416.jpg

Edited by badbob001

The trailer is good, but I think this is a better design for GLADOS

7399721116_ceb199a4ef_c.jpg

The trailer is good, but I think this is a better design for GLADOS

I think that is the first version of the project on Lego Ideas, which didn't get approved. The team redesigned and submitted another portal set:

1943528-o_19nfetiaa1ug81tan1g4o1mpt5pi10-full.jpg

The GLADOS in the trailer doesn't look minifigure scale, so I bet the in-game version will be different. It is common for the team/company that creates the commercial/trailer to be different from the one actually making the game.

Edited by LuxorV

Is one of the versions going to be portable to the PC? This is going to flop if they don't make a PC version. If they did I'd buy it all, but I've never bought a console and never will, especially not for just one game.

Is one of the versions going to be portable to the PC? This is going to flop if they don't make a PC version. If they did I'd buy it all, but I've never bought a console and never will, especially not for just one game.

Uhh, what? First off, these video games are mostly aimed at younger children where consoles are hands down the preferred method to play Secondly, PC video gaming has been becoming less and less popular for the past decade or so, even among older teens and adults since consoles have been getting more and more powerful and popular. Plus, none of the other toys to life franchises have PC releases and they seem to be doing just fine.

Edited by Deathleech

This is fantastic. Portal is my favourite game and Lego is my most favourite toy. Pity I don't have any kind of console and won't be getting one specifically to play this game. Hopefully there will be some kind of actual set at some point though, because I kind of need a Chell figure.

Uhh, what? First off, these video games are mostly aimed at younger children where consoles are hands down the preferred method to play Secondly, PC video gaming has been becoming less and less popular for the past decade or so, even among older teens and adults since consoles have been getting more and more powerful and popular. Plus, none of the other toys to life franchises have PC releases and they seem to be doing just fine.

Actually PC gaming is surging back. http://www.cnet.com/news/playing-games-on-the-pc-is-making-a-comeback/

That being said, I agree dimensions will do just fine and most likely will add a pc version in the future based on sales growth.

I too don't own any supported console and have a computer connected to the TV for family gaming. I don't see any downside for a PC version to be released. There is no point pirating the game since it requires the portal hardware and an internet connection. The portal connects via USB for all versions, so no new version needs to be made. Besides, most of the money will be made off the platform-agnostic add-on packs so an extra platform will only bring in more money, especially from the AFOLs that primarily just use computers.

Edited by badbob001

Found the Ghostbusters figure on instagram. Apparently displayed during E3. And yes it is Peter Venkman with new hair.

One of the e3 diorama shows the Back to the Future Delorean. It's pretty much the Lego Ideas version EXCEPT that they replace the monstrous tiled hood with what seems like a large slope piece, like in the original model. So even Lego wants to forget about that poor design decision.

You can see it at the end of this instagram video:

Ha, called it! So glad he has arm prints as well!

I wonder if they will include the rest of the ghostbusters in the packs (All the ninjago ninjas are represented). Else people will buy at last four of Peter Venkman so to update the original set.

Oh, man, I'd hope so. I think ideally, we'd get one Level Pack, one Team Pack and one Fun Pack for the franchise, which would let us get th whole team without having too many packs with essentially duplicate functionality (since the team members may have different personalities and all but in gameplay terms they're very alike, being four regular human guys who all carry the same equipment).