The recent discussion about what makes a supercar reminded me of some photos I still had on my computer, but never published. They are from a project I started last year, but interrupted for my TC6 attempt.

The question at the beginning of this project was: how compact can a supercar be? (or rather, how compact can I make it, I'm sure the cracks out here can do better than me).

The question about what a supercar does have to have I answered for myself:

• 4 suspended wheels, independently would be nice
  • At least 2 wheels driven, with differential
  • Steering with HoG and working steering wheel
  • Fake engine with at least 6 cylinders
  • Gearbox with min. 4 gears
  • Sportscar body
  • Some detailing in the interior (seats, basic dashboard).

Starting point was the 43.2 x 22 ZR tyrewhich should determine the car's size. So it's going to be really smaller than the typical supercar.

Regarding the proportions, I wanted to do something that resembles '70s / '80s sportscars with mid-engine layout. One thing I especially had in mind was my childhood favourite Lamborghini Countach which I still consider unmatched by al its modern Audi remakes. From it, I was going to take the long wheelbase and low silhouette. What also made me stick to an older design style is the fact that wheels were generally a bit smaller back then, so the car could be a tad bigger with the same tyre size.

As Crowkillers recently menitoned in a thread I don't remember, the starting point of building a supercar often is the gearbox. This was also the case for my project. I started with the box from N. Kuipers' Pony Car (which inspired me also in other ways, we'll see later), a reasonably small 4-speed setup. However, using it in my small scale as a central console would have placed the gear lever next to the driver's ear. So I decided to flatten the gearbox and lay all 4 axles in one plane, the box thus serving as the main part of the floorpan:

csc_01.jpg

From the back, it becomes obvious how the transmission to the engine is built as a kind of rear bulkhead where a lot of the other components will attach. It also becomes obvious that the engine will be mounted quite high, above the rear axle:

csc_02.jpg

To this central part of the car comes a second large module, containing th front axle, steering, dashboard and gearbox cover. I tried to keep the whole front axle really compact in order to gain the maximum freedom for the front part design.

csc_03.jpg

The HoG (black gear) will be operated through the windshield.

From the back, the central console and funky futuristic '80 style dashboard becomes visible:

csc_05.jpg

These two units join to form the car's main structure:

csc_06.jpg

csc_07.jpg

As a rear axle, I first tried an independently sprung setup, but with the parts available (like universal or CV joints) it always turned out way too wide. So I used a live axle instead, not very typical for a sportscar, I know. But another part that draws inspiration from Kuipers' Pony Car. However, instead of the 6L links, I had to use something smaller...

csc_09.jpg

This is how it looks with the axle (and seats) attached:

csc_10.jpg

The engine is pretty much standard, except it's a boxer (or rather 180° V) layout which is rather rarely used. But placing it above the rear axle, it had to be flat. And as a boxer fan, it was a logical step anyway.

csc_12.jpg

csc_13.jpg

Some shots of the completed chassis, showing also the rear suspension:

csc_14.jpg

csc_15.jpg

csc_16.jpg

For the time being, the project is interrupted, but I'd love to complete it with a body. I already tried some ideas, but never finished anything. Colour will most probably be white, the wheels already give a hint to this.

Comments and suggestions (especially concerning the bodywork) are appreciated. Thanks for watching and reading!

That is looking really compact so far. :thumbup: You managed to cram in a lot of functions in such a small space. *huh*

This could turn out to be one of the rare occasions that even the 3x5 curved panel is too big to be used. That 2 stud thickness of the panel is going to hurt I imagine.

I'm really looking forward to progress on this one...

That's a nice little car chassis you've built. Why not put bigger wheels at the rear and maybe use some flexible axles to to shape a body and see where that leads.

I'm interested to see what you do with it.

H :thumbup:

One issue that I persoanly would eliminate would be the black 12 tooth bevel gear only being supported by that tan axle pin.. The one thing that I know about gearboxes is that they will work much better if all of the gears stay true and have proper support.. That tan axle pin has play in it and will wobble a bit creating extra uneeded friction when the car is in first gear.. I would run some type of 4L axle through it.. Most likely one of these with a bushing.. 87083.jpg Or even just a regular 4L axle will work just as good...

FkgRHhH.jpg

Edit: posted the wrong axle picture

Edited by Paul Boratko

Well that is really compact, I am amazed, and the boxer 8 is a nice touch. May I use your gearbox design in one of my MOCs?

This is lovely, a very tidy design. Thank you for sharing. Look forward to seeing the body work.

That linear gearbox design looks a little more like the one from the muscle car than it does the pony car. Good looking model so far.

Thanks for all your comments! This really makes me want to continue with the body!

This could turn out to be one of the rare occasions that even the 3x5 curved panel is too big to be used. That 2 stud thickness of the panel is going to hurt I imagine.

I'm really looking forward to progress on this one...

Actually, when I tried out different body areas, the #3/#4 panel fairing were the biggest parts I used. I don't think it will get much bigger...

That's a nice little car chassis you've built. Why not put bigger wheels at the rear and maybe use some flexible axles to to shape a body and see where that leads.

I'm interested to see what you do with it.

The white flex axles are alredy waiting for their assignment ;-) However, as I don't like designs with different wheel sizes front and back, I will stick to 43.2 x 22.

One issue that I persoanly would eliminate would be the black 12 tooth bevel gear only being supported by that tan axle pin.. The one thing that I know about gearboxes is that they will work much better if all of the gears stay true and have proper support.. That tan axle pin has play in it and will wobble a bit creating extra uneeded friction when the car is in first gear.. I would run some type of 4L axle through it.. Most likely one of these with a bushing.. 87083.jpg Or even just a regular 4L axle will work just as good...

Thanks Paul for this hint! It shows that you have much more experience with this type of building than I have. But it's an easy fix and I will implement it before continuing. Actually the performance was really a bit weak in the lower gears and I couldn't find out why. Probably it will improve.

Well that is really compact, I am amazed, and the boxer 8 is a nice touch. May I use your gearbox design in one of my MOCs?

Of course, use whatever you like! I don't claim to have invented any of the stuff I show here. See Meatman's comment...

That linear gearbox design looks a little more like the one from the muscle car than it does the pony car. Good looking model so far.

I've never really looked at the Muscle Car before. But you're right; it seems that Paul and me had the same idea here. (Probably a good reason to buy that instruction from Paul as well ;-)

I've never really looked at the Muscle Car before. But you're right; it seems that Paul and me had the same idea here. (Probably a good reason to buy that instruction from Paul as well ;-)

You don't have to buy anything, he has pictures of it on his brickshelf folder. :classic: It's a little different than yours. My comment didn't mean anyone copied anything from anyone else, I just meant that it looked more like one than the other.

Edited by Meatman

It's very nice so far, the only thing I don't like about it is that the rear suspension is sideways constrained with the U-joint.

No worries Meatman, I got you right. I also found the pictures of the gearbox. But the similarity you pointed out makes me want to have a closer look at it and probably build the car.

Wow, that is one great example of LEGO engineering! If you could make an accurate body, that would be a whole other challenge, but I'm sure you're up for it :tongue:

That's a really lovely, compact chassis! I think I'll try replicating this from your pics, I'm sure I'll learn a few lessons on how to build compact :)

That is spectacularly compact. I particularly love the suspension mounted halfway along the engine. Perhaps for bodywork you could use liftarms with flexible axles through them, like the wheel arches of sheepos Caterham.

It's very nice so far, the only thing I don't like about it is that the rear suspension is sideways constrained with the U-joint.

You're right, the area between the chassis and the rear axle has bothered me as well. It's not a prime example for clean engineering and certainly not the part of the car I'm most proud of. However, it's working, thanks to the play in all components...

I was already thinking of fitting one of the large hollow ball joints, but space might be too restricted. Maybe I should give it another try.

That's a really lovely, compact chassis! I think I'll try replicating this from your pics, I'm sure I'll learn a few lessons on how to build compact :)

Thanks miguev! If you want some more hints for replicating, you might take a look at my Bricksafe page. Or just ask me for more pics. I eventually plan to make a step-by-step photo instruction, but you probably don't want to wait that long.

That is spectacularly compact. I particularly love the suspension mounted halfway along the engine. Perhaps for bodywork you could use liftarms with flexible axles through them, like the wheel arches of sheepos Caterham.

I don't particularly like this building style, especially for a sports car where there should be more three-dimensionally curved surfaces. But it might still be useful for some areas.

Edited by 5imon

Thanks miguev! If you want some more hints for replicating, you might take a look at my Bricksafe page. Or just ask me for more pics. I eventually plan to make a step-by-step photo instruction, but you probably don't want to wait that long.

Glad to hear that! I'm in no rush :)

Nice and functional chassis! I also want to note quality photos that I watch with pleasure.

Isn't there any progress lately? I really liked the chassis so far... :(

EDIT: In fact, it would be really nice if we could have instructions for the chassis only... It looks really sweet...

Edited by AttentionSpanner

Wow that's compact :wub: ! And I thought I was good at cramming stuff in! My supercars are 1:10 scale, but then they have MINDSTORMS parts in them, which take up loads of space. I love your clever gearbox design - I've never thought of flattening the standard 4-speed design. Amazing job - looking forward to the finished car.

You're right, the area between the chassis and the rear axle has bothered me as well. It's not a prime example for clean engineering and certainly not the part of the car I'm most proud of. However, it's working, thanks to the play in all components...

I was already thinking of fitting one of the large hollow ball joints, but space might be too restricted. Maybe I should give it another try.

I don't particularly like this building style, especially for a sports car where there should be more three-dimensionally curved surfaces. But it might still be useful for some areas.

As for the instructions, a photo sequence or detailed pics would be good; do you have any updates with the body?

I really wish that 5imon will eventually tell us whether the project is still going on or not though... :)

Edited by AttentionSpanner