Superfunk

MOC: Fencing Studio (open-back Modular)

Hi everyone

I am happy to present my newest project: The Fencing Studio. I wanted to build a companion to the new set 10246 - Detective's Office, as well as trying out a new form of modular buildings: open back modular / semi-modular / half-modular / slim modular / however you want to call it. :wink:

16678931858_9e98cd8643.jpg

It's only 16 studs deep, yet fits into the modular street (the front technic pin fits). What I liked about the form:

- Faster building (I usually prefer building the outsides)

- Uses a lot less bricks (that you usually don't see anyway)

- Building the interiors feels like building vignettes

- Less problems with layouts/staircases/etc.

- Uses less space in your layout/LEGO room/closet :classic:

I see these kind of buildings as a complement to regular modular buildings, around the outside of a town display, where it's great that you can get a look at the interiors (instead of just seeing the outside / back of modulars).

16865308842_434fb3c31b.jpg

The MOC features a fencing studio with adjoining office, the living room of an apartment upstairs (with roof terrace), a hip clothing boutique and a small coffee shop inspired by the LEGO Movie on the ground floor. There's some SNOT for the floor of the fencing studio, the coffee shop wall and the roof of the red part is upside down. The street is packed with local hipsters (beards and moustaches everywhere...) and Emmet just got his morning coffee.

Comments and suggestions welcome, thanks for looking!

16246510313_688c8518d9.jpg

16680342639_ce90c32efe.jpg

16865308202_d843f07b63.jpg

16680342299_e00eb52686.jpg

16678861038_c67c961e47.jpg

Cool build. Nice fencing studio. Depending on the era, you can also add an electric scoring machine.

Fantastic work...btw that last picture looks superb! I really like your design concept and layout techniques!

The interiors are spot on and your elevations are really nicely put together...I also do like the way you have created the coffee shop sign!

Edited by gazumpty

This is great! My favourite details are the different textures in the facade, the black awning on the coffee shop and the coffee shop counter. Looks great next to the DO too!

9198929916_b0540e73a9_o.png

Very neat! I love the last photo, it makes the MOC shine.

I really like the front with the fences on the pavement.

Nice work! I am a fan of open backed buildings. Makes it so much easier to capture interior details slightly less floor reinforcement to worry about! Colours work well together with the detective office especially.

What a great concept. My club has been talking about making facades to fill odd spaces at the back of displays and this idea might come in handy.

Love the contrast between the buildings and the brick part between the two. Great interiors too! Awesome work!

This is an excellent complement to the DO, the signage looks great, I really like the open back idea to save bricks and provide access, and all the minifig facial hair really helps make this feel like the hipster neighborhood-vibe you were going for, great work!

Thanks everyone for the very kind feedback. In fact, I am already working on a neighbor module to extend my American street! Now back to work... :classic:

in one word: inspirational.

Great work on the facade, the proof is seeing it side by side to DO building.

And great interior details. Love the fencing theme and the hipster shop and Café. Almost too close to home [shudders].

Good job, next weekend i'm going to try an open back modular with the same footprint, to see how it looks in my layout.

Thanks for the inspiration and for the neat execution. Brick on!

in one word: inspirational.

Great work on the facade, the proof is seeing it side by side to DO building.

And great interior details. Love the fencing theme and the hipster shop and Café. Almost too close to home [shudders].

Good job, next weekend i'm going to try an open back modular with the same footprint, to see how it looks in my layout.

Thanks for the inspiration and for the neat execution. Brick on!

Thanks for the very nice feedback! Your neighborhood sounds hip! :wink:

Nice design. I like the open back style, it makes it easier to see the interior without taking it apart, plus it means you don't need to include everything (stairs, toilets, etc) because its only half the building.

Very nice buildings, Superfunk. I, too, love the open back buildings :thumbup:

You have made nice interiors, and I like the window of the shop. I'd like to see a picture from inside the café - it seems you have made a striped wall behind the table and chairs. Brilliant detail.

Love this! I've been thinking about ways to save money to start some modular - this may be the perfect solution! Love the details you've squeezed into your build :)