after my strange and complicated 6x6 (that no one likes I think ahaha) I decided to build something simple that is extremely rare :3

I got the idea just today while playing with a broken white-out and looking to its transparent (because empty) string I remembered that plastic strings can be folded up to obtain stronger strings… i folded up, twisted several times one piece and i pull it, while plucked it made a good sound :3 so more or less in 2h (tune this instrument is not simple :grin: ) i built up this MOC, it is only a concept and it need (as rare part) only 4 LA

it works like a pluck instrument or a guitar, but is has only 4 string like a bass (like a boss :laugh: ) i use a minifig spear as plectrum, hope I can upload a audio memo file soon, this is the "guitar"

68635010-905D-4B1A-9A46-FF881780E44C.jpg

-LAs are to tuning the strings

-withe-out strings twisted with one L motor :grin:

- a normal box as a loudspeaker

- from the longer to the shorter strings are tuned in: C4 A4 C5 F5

if the guitar is ready - maybe time to build mechanical hand or some mechanical "music box"- playing some melody ;)

nice idea with the resonance box - I'm wondering how to design some proper Lego parts "box" - with some solid parts like "ship body"?

Edited by darsedz

Interesting concept

+1 for the LA's as screws

Looking forward to the audio

working on it ;) but I'm a drummer I'm not really able with springs :laugh:

if the guitar is ready - maybe time to build mechanical hand or some mechanical "music box"- playing some melody ;)

nice idea with the resonance box - I'm wondering how to design some proper Lego parts "box" - with some solid parts like "ship body"?

mhhhh… I think the fail of a lego "box" is not only the gaps between pieces but also the vibration that they can bring and spare :sceptic:

but you can use a lego bionicle box if you're a purist :3

PS someone knows how I can add a 200kb file? or I have to cut my audio? however it is only A try I think it doesn't matter if it is a short ATTEMPT to do a song ahahah

Edited by PKW

Song Lego Instrument 1.mp3.zip

here is a file! if you can recognize the song I'll be proud of me and my "instrument", I'm planning to make a harpsichord :3

so if one Mod can change the topic in "PKW's lego instruments" I'll be grateful

enjoy, it is really short due to the 100K limit of the site

Edited by PKW

I can't recognize the song, but it doesn't sound like something new....so the problem could be my ignorance.

Anyway it seems to be more a Koto than a guitar...in any case, I'm a bass player...so 4 string are already enough for me!!;-)

Just one question...Is it fretless?

Drummer here too (more precisely a person who sometimes uses two sticks to hit things on a drum kit)

Edited by Lipko

yes It is, i need To make strings nearer To what in a guitar/bass is The handle or pressing The strings i'll lose tuning, they are made of plastic :') It is a Song from 1969 and has famous remakes during The 70s, its title is something you can eat :3

Drummer here too (more precisely a person who sometimes uses two sticks to hit things on a drum kit)

you can use, like me ahahah, lego axles To pluck strings :3

Edited by PKW

Can't play the file on Windows XP

You can't play it or unzip it? The first maybe because it is a .m4a from My ipod vocal memo the second maybe because it is zipped from a Mac(?) try tu unzip it with winrar or use qicktime player To read it

I'm not An expert about computers :(

Edited by PKW

Song Lego Instrument 1.mp3.zip

here is a file! if you can recognize the song I'll be proud of me and my "instrument", I'm planning to make a harpsichord :3

That's very good, it sounds

for me to recognize it! At least, I hope I've got it right and I haven't just massively disappointed you...

N.B. Don't click the link if you want to keep guessing :wink:

Edit - No problems extracting or playing it here (W7 using foobar to play the mp3 file, so I can't speak for Mac users).

Edited by Jay Psi

Very unique build, nice. I also recognized the tune from a commercial, but did not know the song itself.

I don't quite understand the function of the axles and bevel gears, could you explain?

Very unique build, nice. I also recognized the tune from a commercial, but did not know the song itself.

I don't quite understand the function of the axles and bevel gears, could you explain?

those axles are connected with u-joints To the LA and I use them To tune (pull or loosen) the strings ;) unfprtunatelly the toner are not the same ad the real song but thet listen like :') (not look like ahaha)

I like the tuning mechanism, as odd-looking as it is.

Somewhat related: a guitar-playing project was posted on the Mindstorms forum a few days ago. It's quite well executed.

odd for me il really Good ahaha, I'm planning To make a mechanism To make it like a mechanic robot, some tracks are needed :3

That's very good, it sounds

for me to recognize it! At least, I hope I've got it right and I haven't just massively disappointed you...

N.B. Don't click the link if you want to keep guessing :wink:

yes you got It!

@darsedz I'm using a ship keel (without cover) it works Well ;) it is the softer one I think from set 7906

those axles are connected with u-joints To the LA and I use them To tune (pull or loosen) the strings ;) unfprtunatelly the toner are not the same ad the real song but thet listen like :') (not look like ahaha)

Oh, duh I should have gotten that.