Rail Co

Where to start? (Beginner to Technic/what to buy)

Hey guys! Some of you may have seen me from the Train Tech forum. I have always been into the technic theme but I never really have bought many sets and I am wondering what is a good start to get into the theme. The last sets I remember buying are the 8454 Rescue Truck set from 2003. I like the bigger sets but i don't know where to start as I haven't bought any sets from when LEGO started including suspension systems.

Thanks

-RailCo

Start by buying everything and go from there. :laugh:

Modern Technic is much different than historical Technic. If you want a simple introduction to the current system, any little set will do. If you want to maximize your exposure with only a single set, then one of the big flagship sets is the way to go. I'd recommend the 42009 Crane. It has a little bit of everything, including Power Functions, and will provide you a vast library of parts to start making your own creations. If you are specifically interested in suspension, then the 42029 truck has all of those parts.

In addition to Blakbird's comments, IMHO an introduction to Technic is incomplete without pneumatics. Unfortunately, no sets right now offer much in terms of pneumatics. The last set to give us a large dose of pneumatics was the 8110 Unimog. Although extinct (lol.....naw, just end of line), and high prices, you may be able to pick up one on the cheap used. If you have the money, this might be a good idea. or..... if you can wait 6 months or so, be sure to pick up the AROCs if you can. It will also have a large dose of pneumatics.

What kind of Technic models you are interested... Cars, cranes, tracked vehicles... This will helps to propose something. From my side I can suggest expansion set for EV3, there are lot interesting parts.

Thank you all for the input @nerdsforprez the set i have had did have pneumatics for opening doors and hatches (from 2003) but i am not sure if pneumatics have changed a lot since then.

I am mostly into ground vehicles like cars, and trucks along with them being able to be motorized/drivable with PF. My favorite are jeeps or other off road trucks as i feel like those are some of the most mechanically interesting and fun to use if they were powered.

Thanks for the input

-RailCo

Welcome to Technics. You could also ask Davidmull, he went from Technic to trains. :wink:

Here is a query of everything Technic on Brickset. You could use to see what is available and what tickles your fancy. I like collecting flagships. They are big and expensive like big CITY cargo train set price range. They are good builds and have lot of parts for MOCs.

I'd second 42029. I'm not a fan but many people I know hold the set in high regard because it's very mod-friendly, including remote control conversions. If you're interested in motorization then 9398 has all the Power Functions parts needed to make your own drivable vehicle but I'm pretty sure that's EoL now so a cheap one will be hard to find. But if you're mainly into trains I assume you'll have enough receivers and remotes already? The only PF part you may have to buy separately would be the servo motor but this isn't necessary, medium motors can steer vehicles just as well.

In terms of suspension parts, 42000/42039 would be good buys as well. They also have more useful parts for supercar MOCs if you're looking at those. However 42039 may still be expensive (or unavailable) depending on where you're from and 42029 should be cheaper than both.

Of course you can't beat flagships for sheer numbers and 42009 is a good place to start. If you are bitten with the Technic Bug (!) there are instructions to convert it to full RC as well.

Edited by Jay Psi

If I were you I would start with the 42009, because it is a very nice model and a very good part pack. After that, try to find sets like 8043, 8258 and maybe 8265. These are older sets but they are very very nice. Non of these are pneumatic though.

Hey guys - I asked the same question over at BL last week, and the recommendations (for a non-panel or sticker-loving person) was 8455 Back-hoe Loader or 8265 Front Loader. Any thoughts?

Don't you start. Just one lego...that's all it takes. Pretty soon you are buying bins to sort them. :laugh:

24 hour racer

Don't you start. Just one lego...that's all it takes. Pretty soon you are buying bins to sort them. :laugh:

24 hour racer

I hear you I bought one train set and in about 4 years it spread to around now 14 train sets and counting so I have thought about that possibility!

-RailCo

Hey guys! Some of you may have seen me from the Train Tech forum. I have always been into the technic theme but I never really have bought many sets and I am wondering what is a good start to get into the theme. The last sets I remember buying are the 8454 Rescue Truck set from 2003. I like the bigger sets but i don't know where to start as I haven't bought any sets from when LEGO started including suspension systems.

Thanks

-RailCo

Welcome to the technic forum! LEGO has included suspension systems for a long time. I remember ogling 8860 from 1980 and loving it because it included a suspension system. If you are thinking about expanding your technic collection I would start by thinking about what you would want to build. If there is a set on the market that comes close to what you want to build, it likely has a lot of parts you will want. If nothing comes close or if you looking for a few specific parts then i'd use bricklink. You may also look on bricklink for older sets that are not produced anymore. Be aware though that some are cheap and others extremely expensive.

Hey guys - I asked the same question over at BL last week, and the recommendations (for a non-panel or sticker-loving person) was 8455 Back-hoe Loader or 8265 Front Loader. Any thoughts?

Those are great models but long out of production. You'll pay a premium for them.

Presumably you have lots of train and system Lego about. No reason you couldn't start with model team things and just add technic bits on the inside. 42000 or the new Lemans car might be a good start.

For a good starter set,I personally would recommend 42029.it can be had for 60-100 US and includes many panels,suspension parts,a differential,wheel hubs and nice big tires. It incorporates many of the parts and techniques unique to technic line,including the working engine,winch,a two function gearbox,a tipping bed powered by a linear actuator,and opening hood and doors. In addition to all of these reasons,it's also just a good parts set.it can also be easily motorized.there's also a user on here who had posted free instructions to turn it into a jeep.like I said,a great set for a great price.you should buy two as a matter of fact.

I just got into technic a few months ago after only playing with bionicles and system legos as a kid.actually my start in technic was with the 42027 desert racer,which is a tiny 150 piece set with a pull back motor.even something like this is enough to help you understand technic a little better. As mentioned earlier,just buy everything and try not to let your wife find out about how much your spending on legos ;)

Edited by wakokid23

Start with something big.

I started with 42000. I just wanted formula. Then i creted from those parts trike, quad, buggy, tractor, even plane. After some year i finally bought next one - 42030. This has RF functions - two remote controlers and 4 different motors. And then it started. Main problem was, that i had only big wheels. During one month i bought lot of cheaper sets - 42035, 42037, 42026, 42027, 42007. It is better for me to buy complete sets, because to order something from bricklink, only shipping costs for me strating from 20 EUR. I mainly buy sets, when there are discounts at one local shop.

So just start, and then it will go.

For a good starter set,I personally would recommend 42029.it can be had for 60-100 US and includes many panels,suspension parts,a differential,wheel hubs and nice big tires. It incorporates many of the parts and techniques unique to technic line,including the working engine,winch,a two function gearbox,a tipping bed powered by a linear actuator,and opening hood and doors. In addition to all of these reasons,it's also just a good parts set.it can also be easily motorized.there's also a user on here who had posted free instructions to turn it into a jeep.like I said,a great set for a great price.you should buy two as a matter of fact.

Where did you find this set for $60? That sounds like a great deal! I plan to buy the 42029 Truck as it seems like a set that has a lot of the pieces that I like (Suspension, big wheels, and off road like). I also says it's customized which makes me assume you can customize it easily so that will be good!

Thank you all for the input, I am on a budget as I just bought another older train set so we shall see when I can get it. If i can get it for $60 that would be an awesome buy

Thanks again!

-RailCo

Where did you find this set for $60? That sounds like a great deal! I plan to buy the 42029 Truck as it seems like a set that has a lot of the pieces that I like (Suspension, big wheels, and off road like). I also says it's customized which makes me assume you can customize it easily so that will be good!

I don't think they call it customized because it is easy to customize, I think they call it that to acknowledge that it is not much like a real truck. It is not 4WD, has a V6 instead of V8, and has a dumping bed.

+1 om 42029....it has a large part count, has alot of the newer Technic parts for building cars etc. Great price for only €90. It's a great introduction to Technic, the parts and the building techniques....and it looks great!

Thank you all for the input, I am on a budget as I just bought another older train set so we shall see when I can get it. If i can get it for $60 that would be an awesome buy

Thanks again!

-RailCo

Right now on brick link there is a 42029 for 72 bucks.the deals are there If you look in the right places. It may not be pretty but it is a large set that can easily be built into something else.another good set with big wheels and a lot of suspension pieces is 42005,which tends to be 40-50 and has huge travel live axle suspension. if you want to get into of road vehicles,these are great places to start. You can also look at the flagship 8466,which is an incredibly full featured set with four wheel drive gullwing doors And many other functions, and it can be cheaper than you would expect.it also has some of the nicest tires technic has ever made

Edited by wakokid23

Thank you guys so much! Once I have money in the budget i'll order the customized truck and hopefully figure out a way to motorize it.

Thanks again!

-RailCo

Start with 8110, yea the steering is awkward for this set but out of the big picture its based off a real truck, has a 4-cylinder engine like the real thing does, licensed set, has Power Functions, Pneumatics, effectively a big set once built and tons of attachment possibilities.

Welcome into "our" world :D

You got a lot of good suggestions, i would suggest to have a look even at some tracked veichles.. 8043 above all...where you can get motors but even linear actuators (even if you mentioned you prefere pneumatics)and tracks.

Anyway, anything you'll start from would be good ;)