TheOneVeyronian

[MOC] Stone Protector Leader and the Okoto Dragon

16629169237_0cf3b87b55_z.jpg

The Stone Protector Leader and the Okoto Dragon by TheOneVeyronian, on Flickr

Hello all!

May I share with you my latest Bionicle based MOC. I have wanted to build a huge CCBS dragon for a long while, but never really got around to it until recently, when I looked at my large pile of unused craft faux leather and thinking that they'd make good dragon wings on a LEGO model. So this is what resulted! You might notice that I did take Bullion, the steed from my BFTGM entry, and used him as a base for what I am calling "The Okoto Dragon" (yes, very unoriginal name I know!)

16835408691_2aec676c5e_z.jpg

The Stone Protector Leader by TheOneVeyronian, on Flickr

First of all, a look at the Stone Protector Leader, which I built while building the dragon, and acts as a steed to the giant Rahi. Credit to Rayskull for the alternate build used in this little guy's construction.

And now for the Okoto Dragon itself:

16216521623_b43f32a3b0_z.jpg

The Okoto Dragon by TheOneVeyronian, on Flickr

Front view:

16629170387_6b85d5c5fe_z.jpg

Side view:

16214122964_5c4f13461b_z.jpg

Rear view:

16648899528_4072dc2a09_z.jpg

Top view, showing the wings fully extended:

16650353439_55727db866_z.jpg

The Okoto dragon can rear up on it's hind legs, though it is extremely difficult since it is extremely heavy.

16216520673_eace201c7c_z.jpg

The Stone Protector Leader (and other Protectors of course) can be mounted cofortably on the Okoto Dragon, as shown here:

16216520533_03f2188684_z.jpg

And a bonus "face-off" shot between Protector and Rahi...

16835408991_443b66fe40_z.jpg

That's it for now. Positive and constructive comments appreciated, as long as you don't mention the keetorange (I didn't have much choice there, I wanted to use the flame pieces above the eyes, and kind of had to include more elements of the colour in the build, since until Skull Grinder comes along, they only come in keetorange). Also, please ignore the pole reverser handles on the wings, I forgot to replace them with bushings until halfway through the photoshoot. Any other odd colours present is likely because I run out of the colour I wanted to use :wink:

Edited by TheOneVeyronian

I really like the Stone Protector Leader.

The dragon is impressive, but its head is a bit too big IMO. :/

The keetorange doesn't bother me that much, BTW.

I really like the Stone Protector Leader.

The dragon is impressive, but its head is a bit too big IMO. :/

The keetorange doesn't bother me that much, BTW.

Can I admit that I am personally more pleased with how the Protector came out than how the dragon came out, even though it took me 10 minutes to build one and 2 days to build the other (despite the fact it's just a heavy mod of a previous model)? :blush:

The head is big because it's supposed to be a more bull-like dragon (for some reason Spyro (from the late Nineties platformers which I love, not Skylanders) immediately comes to mind with his abnormally large head), plus as I said, the head is basically lifted from another model as I couldn't build anything smaller that I was satisfied with. I also tried giving it a serpentine neck, but that really did not work at all, both structurally and aesthetically.

Glad to know the keetorange doesn't bother you - I thought it'd bother a lot of people because it looks, well, tacked on and a bit random really. Especially when I also use red for the claws :laugh:

I suspect this is one I'm going to be constantly fiddling with :wink:

The Protector turned out quite well, but I agree with Leewan about the head. Try slimming it down ever so slightly. Otherwise, it's a great MOC!

EDIT: On an unrelated note, I love your new profile picture! I've been looking for it for a while now. Any idea which issue it's in?

Edited by Master_Data

The Protector turned out quite well, but I agree with Leewan about the head. Try slimming it down ever so slightly. Otherwise, it's a great MOC!

EDIT: On an unrelated note, I love your new profile picture! I've been looking for it for a while now. Any idea which issue it's in?

Maybe I can remove the torso shells on the sides, I think that's making the head too large. Note some stuff attached to the back of the head should actually be neck armour, but it's only attached to the head since it had way more connection points.

As for the profile pic, this page should give you what you are looking for :wink:

Can't say much about dragon. The size is impressive indeed, but the detail eludes me for some reason. The Stone Protector leader though is very good. I like the heroic pose on the second picture.

I really like the giant head, besides, bionicle has never been known for realistic proportions right? :tongue:

And the protector is neat too. I dig the oversized cape.

I like the Stone Protector and the use of torso pieces on the dragon. At first I didn't like the keetorange on it, but now I like it. Good work :classic:

Thanks. The keetorange was supposed to represent exposed skin, but I don't think I pulled it off very well here partly due to lack of keetorange CCBS. I'm thinking of swapping out the keetorange anyway, but that won't happen until August when the "eyebrows" will then come in black/gunmetal. Also depends if I can obtain 4 more flat silver 8M shells, because they are extraordinarily expensive in any quantity nowadays, and I'm not prepared to spray paint my keetorange ones silver either :classic:

I really like the giant head, besides, bionicle has never been known for realistic proportions right? :tongue:

And the protector is neat too. I dig the oversized cape.

Too right, it's never been about realistic proportions in Bionicle. Remember the Inika? :laugh: (though arguing what are realistic proportions on a mythical creature like the dragon was odd to me anyway, because that's up to interpretation and personal preference really, I've drawn plenty of dragons with tiny wings and huge heads, and plenty exist in media that have unrealistic proportions).

Due to my bad habit of keeping all my decent MOC's assembled, I think this is going to be the last of my enormous titan beasts, because I've run out of money and good parts! Time to go and build a baby Okoto Dragon instead methinks :laugh:

Edited by TheOneVeyronian