70413 The Brick Bounty  

107 members have voted

1. 1. How do you rate this set?

• Poor
    • Below average
    • Average
    • Above average
    • Outstanding

That's not quite right. They can (and do) produce different coloured parts using the same mould. They stop putting white (as an example) plastic into the mould and instead put red (as an example) plastic in; therefore same part, from same mould, but different colour.

Where you will get different moulds is where they need such a large number of parts that they have to have multiple mould producing parts at the same time, or where it makes sense to have moulds in geographically different places, eg. the US factory, Denmark, China, etc... so that they aren't incurring shipping costs and delays by moving parts around the world.

Thanks for the Info.

What i have been told is there are 2 molds for 2 different color...

What i have been told is there are 2 molds for 2 different color...

Probably quite true for high volume pieces such as 2x4's or cheese wedges, etc... probably not true for low volume pieces like boat hulls. However this is suppostion on my part rather than definite knowledge.

The source of my info was a business article that I read a year or so ago about their migration to SAP to manage which moulds get selected for placement in the injection moulders in order to satisfy production needs. The new software allowed them to do things like working up the colour "intensity" spectrum white can be followed by red by black with less wastage in between wheras black by red by white results in lots of wastage as the outgoing dark colour taints the lighter new color. Changing production from one colour to another takes 5 minutes, changing the mould tooling takes half an hour; the more they can minimise the latter the more efficiently the factory runs.

Edited by The_Cook

I love Pirate ships. And yet I have not been able to work up the enthusiasm to get this one yet. I have BBB on my shelf alongside the PotC ships, the Viking and Troll ships, the LotR ship and even the Ninjago ship. They each stand out and look distinct. This doesn't. It's going to get my wife asking "why do you have 2 of the same?" Which is never a comfortable line of inquiry as it leads to "why do you need two of the same?" So for the first time in forever I might ship a ship...

I immediately noticed the hull gap when building mine (before reading about it here on EB) and shrugged it off; it looks bad up close but I just assumed it was supposed to look like that. Guess I was wrong! I didn't think of checking any other parts, like my white hulls or the LOTR pirate ship hull. TLG has to know about it by now with all the fuss but what's the solution? Ship every buyer the "old" style upper piece free of charge? Seems impractical; they'd need a box just for me!

Now I got an answer from lego. But as expected, it's not really satisfying.

They wrote to me that the fault has not been known yet. And therefore there is no solution for it at the moment. But the information is passed on to their quality control and the fault shall be examined.

Well, all we can obviously do is to wait. And everybody should send similar mails to them. The more they get, the more they are under pressure to fix it :wink: .

Picked up this set on the weekend with a 20% off coupon. Came with the proper Capt head and ,more importantly, no visible hull gap.

Not sure what to make of it as I had been expecting the gap flaw.

Picked up this set on the weekend with a 20% off coupon. Came with the proper Capt head and ,more importantly, no visible hull gap.

Not sure what to make of it as I had been expecting the gap flaw.

Interestingly mine came with no hull flaw but the wrong head. I have to admit I love this ship and rate it higher than the previous incarnation of the bounty. Despite this I haven't finished it yet, as I am waiting to get down to the seaside house to complete it in the authentic surroundings. Lol. And also to put it display with the rest of my lego pirates collections

It's hardly imaginable that there are sets without the hull gap problem. But maybe there are newer (or older sets) with newer (or older) parts. Could you take some pictures of it?

I still hope, that it will be fixed someday. Then I'll order new parts.

I just checked mine, I too have the hull gap, but only on the port side. I only say it by looking at the ship from the bottom, so I guess it won't bother me so much.

I am buying this 2moro to add to my sons other new Pirate stuff i got him.

I am let down already :-) what is good as i was expecting something more from a set at this price. But it will make my son smile even if its a boring build for me.

I really like this ship - I was very lucky and have the 'correct' captain's head and no gap (although luck shouldn't really have to play a part). I did find the single sided sail disappointing, but apart from that, I am very happy with the simple aesthetic appeal of my pirate ship...

Edited by Montyh7

Unfortunately, while the minifigs are really cool, I feel like this is one of the weaker Lego pirate ship efforts of all time. The rear cabin is large, but lacks detail, and the stern is boxy and unlovely. Line this boat up to something like the Skulls Eye Schooner and there really is no comparison. Add on the physical defects -- something I find, frankly, appalling, given how Lego's only defense for its premium prices are supposed quality control (and branding) -- and you've got a real stinker.

Edited by ShrikeArghast

A little late into the discussion but having read 3-4 reviews about this year's ship, i decided to buy it only to become a platform upon which to mod/moc a new version of it. The only problem for me the way i see it, would be the hull gap but there is always BL.

Edited by blackdeathgr

I recently built this set - my first ever LEGO Pirate Ship - and I LOVE it!

I made a few modifications [Added 2 more Cannons, added a second Door to the Captain's Quarters], filled it with a 14-man crew created withLEGO Pirates minifigs from 1989 to today, customized the Captain [he uses the CMF Torso with Brickbeard's Head and the new Redbeard's Bicorn Hat], added a Monkey [this should have come with one] and plan to add a black-n-white tiled floor to the Cabin. Longer term plans include buying ANOTHER one of this set to extend the hull and add another sail.

Let me just use my first post by saying this: This ship is not particularly great or groundbreaking - BUT - in on area it really shines - It's great for MOCing. For example, I've had a spare Stern piece (2559c03) which I now can finaly use, that gives the ship the potential to grew the lenght of a Black Seas Barracuda. The fixed Cannons is a dissapointment, but then again, here you have a lot of potential to fix it by rearrange the deck and put on some wheels for the cannons - The classic way. The hideout for the Chest is a very clever idea, and I think the fact that we get some bluecoats is great in case you need to extend your Imperial army.

Actually, the cabins are one of the few things that are better with the later ships compared to the old ones. The classic ships had less detailed cabins that were harder to reach and less detailed. This is something that TLG really improved on. And I really applause that. No exceptions here!

Yes, we get a chef, but no galley. So why not build one? It's all up to your imagination! Since it uses the new two-part hull at the bow, I think it's easier to make room for stuff there and (perhaps) even construct a galley around the bow.

I also like the chain mechanism of the anchor and the cabin. They are very well put together, even though It looks a bit back heavy and boxy at the stern. But it doesn't bother me too much. The main problem though is the crane with the way-too-short chain hanging down. They could of put some more effort there. But then again, easy fix.

Edited by AViewToALego

I recently built this set - my first ever LEGO Pirate Ship - and I LOVE it!

That's exactly what I had in mind making this review. If it's your first ship, you may enjoy it a great deal. And I'm absolutely glad you like it! pirate_classic.gif

The problem begins when it is not your first ship, and especially if you also have the Brickbeard's Bounty in your collection. It is then that the term deja vu comes to mind, pirate_tong.gif

That's exactly what I had in mind making this review. If it's your first ship, you may enjoy it a great deal. And I'm absolutely glad you like it! pirate_classic.gif

The problem begins when it is not your first ship, and especially if you also have the Brickbeard's Bounty in your collection. It is then that the term deja vu comes to mind, pirate_tong.gif

I get where you're coming from, but we have to remove ourselves from the AFOL mindset and realize that with its suggested age range of 7-14, most of the kids that LEGO is targeting with this set were too young to have a pirate ship when Brickbeard's Bounty was released back in 2009. I look at this like the inevitable re-release of the same classic Star Wars vehicles every few years - sure, as an adult collector you probably don't need yet another Millennium Falcon, but LEGO is aiming for the kids [or adult fans] who didn't already have one.

I agree that it'd be NICE to get a bit of variety [i really wish we were getting a 'wave 2' of this most recent Classic Pirate line], but I imagine LEGO is probably only going to release a new traditional Pirate Ship every 5-7 years at this point, and every time they do it will likely be yet another reiteration of the classic Black Seas Barracuda / Brickbeard's Bounty / Brick Bounty style of Pirate Ship. Unfortunately the demand for LEGO Pirate just isn't there beyond the relatively small group of adult fans... certainly not enough to warrant them pandering to us by making new and different ship designs to complement the Brick Bounty every few years. LEGO knows what will sell, and it's a ship like the Brick Bounty, with its iconic Red & Black sails with Jolly Roger, complete with classic Pirate Captain. All we can hope to do as AFOLs is... CUSTOMIZE! I'm already considering picking up another Brick Bounty and turning it into an Imperial ship.

Now, I do wish that they'd do a reissue or a new version of the 2010 Imperial Flagship set since the existing one is so ridiculously expensive, but I just don't see that happening anytime soon either. :(

Now, I do wish that they'd do a reissue or a new version of the 2010 Imperial Flagship set since the existing one is so ridiculously expensive, but I just don't see that happening anytime soon either. :(

You can bricklink the parts of the Imperial Flagship. It cost me around EUR240 to complete the ship (without minifigs)

http://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=107167

Very nice review. The pictures were excelent as well, but im glad that you adressed the low number of crew members acompanying the set. It bothered me that we didn't get to have 2 or 3 more of them. Also wished we had 2 more cannons (for the other side) Overall though id say im very impressed with this set and as a result of that have no buyers remorse. The only thing i have wrong with it is the chest crane type of thing in the middle. I modified mine to have a net type of system like the 2009 pirate ship.

Edited by CaptainJackBrickster