70413 The Brick Bounty  

107 members have voted

1. 1. How do you rate this set?

• Poor
    • Below average
    • Average
    • Above average
    • Outstanding

I think it is the top part. It seems that it doesn't fit correctly on the base part. But it is also possible, that both parts are faulty. I would like to compare it with one of the previous ship-sets. But since I don't own any, I can't. Maybe somebody else can do this.

I carefully deconstructed the front parts of my BBB and my BB and swapped the top parts over and it does appear to be this part, not the base. I've ordered a replacement on BrickLink. Better to do that now while the market is still 'clean' of the new ones. I guess I am that much of a perfectionist after all.

Also, Guybrick, you need a minifig avatar of Guybrush Threepwood. pirate_laugh2.gif

Edited by David Thomsen

I carefully deconstructed the front parts of my BBB and my BB and swapped the top parts over and it does appear to be this part, not the base. I've ordered a replacement on BrickLink. Better to do that now while the market is still 'clean' of the new ones. I guess I am that much of a perfectionist after all.

[...]

Ah, thank you for testing. That's good to know.

I already ordered both parts as replacement, mainly because of the annoying notches. But if they don't fit again, I will also try my luck with an unoffical store.

[...]

Also, Guybrick, you need a minifig avatar of Guybrush Threepwood. :pir-grin:

Yes, absolutely! :pir_laugh2:

Sadly, I'm not particular good in making own minifigs. Maybe I should ask vitreolum whether I can use his Guybrush instead :pir-wink:.

This is indeed a very good question!

I don't own the SeaCow at the moment, but I wanted to buy it in near future. After the problems occurred with this 70413-set, I'm a bit unsure about buying the next ship. I really would appreciate if you (or somebody else) could compare it :-).

I have looked at my white hull pieces. They have this problem but ALMOST UNNOTICEABLE. The gap on mine is like half a millimetre or so. But it is a start. I have one older reddish brown hull piece as well, which doesn't have the problem at all.

Or can it? I just received my replacement head from LEGO. Guess what? It was exactly the same wrong head. Now I officially give up. Guess the head error runs much deeper than I had assumed.

i got mine today from LEGO.com and it is the wrong one again...so i think my theory of the prototype/first edition is correct

>>>>>>>>>>>>>UPDATE>>>>>>>>>>>>>

I have written to LEGO about the Wrong Head providing them a photo of how it should look like and the reply came fast with Apologies first and they shipped the correct one immediately!.....:)

Thank You LEGO for Nice Service :)

Regards

Edited by VintageLegoEra

If anyone manages to successfully get a replacement for the hull piece, please let us know. I have held off on requesting another one with the assumption that they will simply send another faulty piece.

If anyone manages to successfully get a replacement for the hull piece, please let us know. I have held off on requesting another one with the assumption that they will simply send another faulty piece.

The best way to do that is to attach a photo of the issue when sending to LEGO.com. By doing this, you will get the redeemed one .

Glad to know... Maybe I'll do the same :classic:

Yes!..To make sure you get the correct one is to send them photo :). I should have done it at first !

Good Luck!

Edited by VintageLegoEra

To Those who got the Wrong Head!....After some search i came with the Exact part number :)

1)- 6123702--MINI HEAD-NO. 1760,,,,Is the Wrong Head ( This Part Number is not even there in the Instruction Parts List )

2)-4506812--MINI HEAD-NO. 500,,,, Is the Correct Head ( as per the Instruction Parts List )

Finally at least we knew the Parts Number pirate_classic.gif

LEGO.com Must Change 6123702 to 4506812 in their Parts database!

Regards

Edited by VintageLegoEra

@VintageLegoEra:

That is exactly, what I mentioned before (Posted 07 April 2015 - 07:36 PM). I'm sorry that I've not written it clearly enough. :blush:

Well, back to what I wanted to tell actually:

I finally received my replacement parts. Now there are three good news, one bad and one marginal note. Let's begin with the good news.

• The first one is - and I think that I don't tell you something new - the lego-service is absolutely gorgeous. They've sent me everything I ordered without asking a question about it (except the one mail for the admiral head). And also no additional costs for me. Perfect!
  • The second good news: I got the correct head of the admiral now. And yes: I also sent them photos of the different heads (that's what I meant with the second mail, when they first misunderstood my request).
  • The third is, that the new hull pieces are without the evil notches. The pieces look really new and directly out of factory.

And now the bad news:

I think you already know it: The gap between the front hull pieces is there again (same size and even the color-difference is there). So it seems that VintageLegoEra was right and there is no way to get better parts from lego at the moment. I don't think that a photo will help here, because they probably don't have flawless parts. If someone tries it nevertheless, please give us the information about the result.

Finally the marginal note: Now I have so many hull pieces that I can build a really huge ship. :pir-grin:

(but some of them with flaws, obviously :pir-sceptic: )

My sea Cow is Perfect!

Oh, that's good to know. So my hunt for the next ship has started. :pir_laugh2:

Edited by Guybrick

@VintageLegoEra:

That is exactly, what I mentioned before (Posted 07 April 2015 - 07:36 PM). I'm sorry that I've not written it clearly enough. :blush:

Well, back to what I wanted to tell actually:

I finally received my replacement parts. Now there are three good news, one bad and one marginal note. Let's begin with the good news.

• The first one is - and I think that I don't tell you something new - the lego-service is absolutely gorgeous. They've sent me everything I ordered without asking a question about it (except the one mail for the admiral head). And also no additional costs for me. Perfect!
  • The second good news: I got the correct head of the admiral now. And yes: I also sent them photos of the different heads (that's what I meant with the second mail, when they first misunderstood my request).
  • The third is, that the new hull pieces are without the evil notches. The pieces look really new and directly out of factory.

And now the bad news:

I think you already know it: The gap between the front hull pieces is there again (same size and even the color-difference is there). So it seems that VintageLegoEra was right and there is no way to get better parts from lego at the moment. I don't think that a photo will help here, because they probably don't have flawless parts. If someone tries it nevertheless, please give us the information about the result.

Finally the marginal note: Now I have so many hull pieces that I can build a really huge ship. :pir-grin:

(but some of them with flaws, obviously :pir-sceptic: )

Oh, that's good to know. So my hunt for the next ship has started. :pir_laugh2:

Ohh mate!...sorry as i didn't notice about ur post :)

Glad you got the correct head and i was sure about the hull ;)

The Flaws are normal in the hulls and in loose parts. Mine has very Very light flaw, a small line barely noticable...

Waoo now you can build a huge BB ship...

Thanks for the update ( Guybrick )

I didn't sleep well last night. The 'hull piece'-thing still bothers me a bit. So I did some investigation again:

Something I noticed is, that lego changed the hull parts since the Brickbeard's Bounty (6243). While the bottom part of the front hull is still the same, the top part has changed (Design# 64645 to 14740). Just by comparing the pictures provided by the lego store, I think that the new part is slightly bigger (a possible reason why it doesn't fit?). But the picture quality also can deceive me here. The Imperial Flagship (10210), the Queen Anne (4195) and the Black Pearl (4184) have all the same Design# as the BBB has.

A strange thing is the Sea Cow (70810) for my conclusions, because it has exactly the same design numbers as the new Bounty. The only difference is the color. So it should have the same gap-problem, but it hasn't (as told here).

Argh, the whole thing is is really frustating default_sad.gif .

Something to mention:

The middle parts are also new, but this is obviously because of the connecting elements. And the change did happen some ship generations before the current Bounty.

I didn't sleep well last night. The 'hull piece'-thing still bothers me a bit. So I did some investigation again:

Something I noticed is, that lego changed the hull parts since the Brickbeard's Bounty (6243). While the bottom part of the front hull is still the same, the top part has changed (Design# 64645 to 14740). Just by comparing the pictures provided by the lego store, I think that the new part is slightly bigger (a possible reason why it doesn't fit?). But the picture quality also can deceive me here. The Imperial Flagship (10210), the Queen Anne (4195) and the Black Pearl (4184) have all the same Design# as the BBB has.

A strange thing is the Sea Cow (70810) for my conclusions, because it has exactly the same design numbers as the new Bounty. The only difference is the color. So it should have the same gap-problem, but it hasn't (as told here).

Argh, the whole thing is is really frustating :sad: .

Something to mention:

The middle parts are also new, but this is obviously because of the connecting elements. And the change did happen some ship generations before the current Bounty.

I know how you feel....My self i seek for Perfection and if i noticed anything wrong, i will go Super Mad but i dont bite...loooooooooool...But since this Hull Issue is running in all Sets, thats why i am calm pirate_laugh2.gif

As for the Sea Cow Hull,,,,although it is the same part number but different in color, take in consideration that,,there has to be 2 molds for these then since there are 2 colors....so the one for the sea cow looks to be fine and the new one for the TBB is having the Issue.

So IMO,,,LEGO.com have to recheck their Pirate Sets and fix these mixed Parts number, Defects

Cheers

Edited by VintageLegoEra

[...] But since this Hull Issue is running in all Sets, thats why i am calm :pir-grin:

[...]

Yes, at the moment this is the only thing that prevents me from running around in circles too. :pir_laugh2:

Since I can't live without sleeping ( :pir-wink: ), I wrote now a few lines to lego again (and sent them some of my photos) to notify them of the problem explicitly (in case they still not have noticed it). Maybe we'll get a useful statement back.

Since I can't live without sleeping ( :pir-wink: ), I wrote now a few lines to lego again (and sent them some of my photos) to notify them of the problem explicitly (in case they still not have noticed it). Maybe we'll get a useful statement back.

Loool.......True,,,pirate_satisfied.gif

Excellent!....so we hope they come back with a positive Answer! ......

Keep us updated!

Cheers!

I took some time today to examine the gap issue more closely and take some photos.

gaps1.jpg

This is the hull of my Brick Bounty. Yes, the set is no longer assembled - I took it apart and stored the pieces for future projects. Sorry LEGO. :classic:

Anyway, the gap can be seen clearly here.

gaps2.jpg

This is the white hull of the Friends ship. Virtually, there are no gaps, although if we want to split hairs (and that's what we are doing here anyway :classic: ), an almost microscopic gap does appear near the end of the side (bottom right quarter of the picture). All in all I'd say it looks fine. But what happens if we combine the two hulls?

gaps3.jpg

In this configuration, the situation is identical to the all-white hull. So virtually no gaps.

gaps4.jpg

But when you put together the white bottom part from the Friends ship and the brown top part from the Brick Bounty, the gap reappears.

I also took a closer look at my Queen Anne's Revenge and 10210 Imperial Flagship hulls - the situation is identical to the Friends hull - basically no gaps.

So the conclusions are:

1. The top part of Brick Bounty's hull is guilty! The bottom part is just like those of the previous ships.

2. The gap problem seems to be new and it looks like it wasn't present in any ships prior to the Brick Bounty (although for obvious reasons I can't be 100% certain of that - I haven't seen each and every copy of all the previous ships :classic: ).

I totes did the same comparison in post #101 of this topic but didn't post any pictures to prove what I was saying so whatevs.pirate_laugh2.gif

The white upper piece does suggest that the mould for the piece has been slowly deteriorating, I wonder if they'll bother fixing the mould or if this is just the way it's going to be from now on? It makes me worry about any future D2C sets using the same piece. pirate_sceptic.gif

Thank you for that comparison. default_classic.gif

I quickly checked the design numbers of the white Dolphin Cruiser (41015). It has the newer design# 14740 - the same as the Brick Bounty has. And also the other hull pieces have the same design numbers.

So I think we can clearly say, that the problem does appear with the newer design. But the big gap seems to be exclusively to the Brick Bounty at the moment. I really hope that they will fix it.

As for the Sea Cow Hull,,,,although it is the same part number but different in color, take in consideration that,,there has to be 2 molds for these then since there are 2 colors....so the one for the sea cow looks to be fine and the new one for the TBB is having the Issue.

That's not quite right. They can (and do) produce different coloured parts using the same mould. They stop putting white (as an example) plastic into the mould and instead put red (as an example) plastic in; therefore same part, from same mould, but different colour.

Where you will get different moulds is where they need such a large number of parts that they have to have multiple mould producing parts at the same time, or where it makes sense to have moulds in geographically different places, eg. the US factory, Denmark, China, etc... so that they aren't incurring shipping costs and delays by moving parts around the world.

I took some time today to examine the gap issue more closely and take some photos.

Expertly done, that's the set of photos to send TLG when explaining what the issue is.

The white upper piece does suggest that the mould for the piece has been slowly deteriorating, I wonder if they'll bother fixing the mould or if this is just the way it's going to be from now on? It makes me worry about any future D2C sets using the same piece. pirate_sceptic.gif

What is being seen isn't a mould deterioration issue; when moulds get old the sharp corners start to become rounded. The change in physical dimensions has to have come from a mould that is physically different from the earlier mould.

Do we have enough information to know whether there are geographical traits, eg. do Europe and America both suffer the problem?