70413 The Brick Bounty  

107 members have voted

1. 1. How do you rate this set?

• Poor
    • Below average
    • Average
    • Above average
    • Outstanding

And while you're at it, please make a new mold for the narrow hulls too, you hear me LEGO? :classic:

They probably aren't going to go through the trouble of "fixing" the set and redoing all molds and everything sadly. I was surprised reading the review that the set is actually less than half the cost of the Barracuda when you account for inflation and the stern hull piece was changed altogether just to cut costs. This isn't the sort of thinking that lends towards sparing no expense towards maximizing quality for us enthusiasts. Just look at the skulls on the sails. The set's intended more for kids, and most of us didn't even notice the hull defect until it was pointed out to us. File this one under "good enough".

Edited by Cervantes

They probably aren't going to go through the trouble of "fixing" the set and redoing all molds and everything sadly. I was surprised reading the review that the set is actually less than half the cost of the Barracuda when you account for inflation and the stern hull piece was changed altogether just to cut costs. This isn't the sort of thinking that lends towards sparing no expense towards maximizing quality for us enthusiasts. Just look at the skulls on the sails. The set's intended more for kids, and most of us didn't even notice the hull defect until it was pointed out to us. File this one under "good enough".

even if it is intended for kids,,,it should be good released set. Or cos childrens dont know so they produce their sets just like this??!!...not fair...children always has to be treated as grown up....whether child or not,,,,, Quality has to be there after all it reflects Company's reputation!

Blast it, at first I thought my hull was fine, but then I took another look and I have exactly the same problem with mine. I have no idea how I missed this initially...

Ok Guys.........I checked mine again and it is ineed having this issue but slight not like our mate here in the photos. In my case it is not noticeable from sides, as from bottom it is has very slight gap which i think i can go with it

So i believe all the sets have these issue and it is indeed a molding defect

LEGo must stop producing this Set before it is too Late!

Argh! These are no good news for me. I really hoped, that there are only a few faulty sets around and the rest is okay. :-(

But now I know, why lego has so explicitly poined out on the package that the ship does not float. default_wacko.gif

What about the earlier ships? Has anyone one of these and can compare it. Maybe it's just something that a new ship owner like me notice, but the fault was always there? I just want to get sure, that I don't scare people with my photos for nothing. ;-)

I have looked at the ship twice and cannot find a defect. Perhaps not every single ship has the problem. The defect in the photo is very noticeable and would be easy to spot. I held that thing in the light and put my readers glasses on to be sure. If there is a problem, it is far less noticeable than what was pictured.

I think it's quite bad for lego to produce such a faulty brick. The quality is supposed to be the thing that separates them from the clone brands. Still, I can live with the piece I got. You don't notice it unless you know that it's there.

Edited by Sigolf Brimabane

I have looked at the ship twice and cannot find a defect. Perhaps not every single ship has the problem. The defect in the photo is very noticeable and would be easy to spot. I held that thing in the light and put my readers glasses on to be sure. If there is a problem, it is far less noticeable than what was pictured.

Does your part have the mould lines shown in the earlier photos?

Well,,,this issue is 100% in all sets. and i am sure it is there in urs too even if it shows slight issue like mine!

Great review. Really good attention to detail and excellent criticisms.

As a Barracuda owner, I must admit I'm not all that impressed with this ship. It's alright but, yeah, I think I'll pass.

I stand corrected. After further examination and taking a photo, I have what is pictured in post 65. Dont know how I initially missed this either, I guess with the Lego factories going full steam to produce a variety of sets in different lines, quality control suffers. In Pirates alone, you have the ship defect, the chess set instructions errors, the wrong face on the admiral, and the golden cutlass on the online description that does not exist in the product. I would expect more from a premium product.

Edited by AFOLguy1970

Everyone here should contact Lego about this and let them know. Even if you plan to "settle" and live with the defect without expectation of a replacement. They need to know this isn't acceptable and the more voice is heard the better.

This is a Catastrophe !

Back then in 80s and 90s,,,the Quality was superb even the molds and the durabilty of the parts are much better than the modern one....LEGO is going Down!

Edited by VintageLegoEra

Everyone here should contact Lego about this and let them know. Even if you plan to "settle" and live with the defect without expectation of a replacement. They need to know this isn't acceptable and the more voice is heard the better.

That´s true. I have write Lego about that. I paid for a perfect product and got a rule of thumb estimate - part. That is not exceptable!

This set has just gone from "buy only on really good sale" to "no buy, under any circumstances".

Please let us know about LEGO's answer to your e-mails.

That´s true. I have write Lego about that. I paid for a perfect product and got a rule of thumb estimate - part. That is not exceptable!

I just ordered some replacement parts today (also the admiral's head) and wrote a few lines in addition. We will see what happens next.

I just ordered some replacement parts today (also the admiral's head) and wrote a few lines in addition. We will see what happens next.

The replacement part for the hull will not be any good since this defect runs in all sets. The admiral head can be fixed.

Or can it? I just received my replacement head from LEGO. Guess what? It was exactly the same wrong head. Now I officially give up. Guess the head error runs much deeper than I had assumed.

First of all, you wrote (and photographed) a good review, Dreamweb. I voted "average" in the poll because I don't think the ship is anything special but neither is it completely terrible considering the target audience. I actually bought a couple for their parts but took the time to build one. I have the correct admiral head and I suspect I have the hull problem too. I didn't look but I remember having a terrible time getting the upper and lower bow/stern elements aligned correctly. I don't like the pirate heads, period. They look silly and the cook in particular looks downright cartoonish. But I do like the other torsos, especially the captain, and of course the soldiers are good. I like the wig and hairpiece but I would like a black tricorne too. As for the ship itself I'm very glad it uses one complete bow/stern piece and 3 midsections. It's too small for my taste in standard form but combining 2 models (or the hull parts at least) gives you 2 complete bow/stern elements and 6 mids which makes for a great custom ship. Brickbeard's Bounty had 2 and 2 so combining 2 ships gave you 4 mids and 4 bow/stern elements so you would have 2 left over. I realize that isn't relevant to this review as a single standalone model but for adult builders it means a little something. I think the red is too bright but I can live with it (parts pack for me, remember) and I really like the pearl gold, especially the 1x1 round bricks (custom bronze cannon, anyone?) But I seriously wish TLG would give up the striped sails already. They look stupid to my eyes and they can't easily be used for anything else (like a merchant ship). And only printing the one side is just downright lazy. By now the treasure situation seems unanimous: where is the chrome gold? That was half the appeal of the old classics and while I like the jewel/gemstone pieces the gold would be even better. Still, the set fulfills its purpose reasonably well. I'll be using the parts somehow.

The replacement part for the hull will not be any good since this defect runs in all sets. The admiral head can be fixed.

Well, I don't give up the hope ;-). And it would already suffice, if the replacement will be without the notches at last. Nonetheless, lego needs to be informed about the quality problems. And my request will hopefully do this.

Or can it? I just received my replacement head from LEGO. Guess what? It was exactly the same wrong head. Now I officially give up. Guess the head error runs much deeper than I had assumed.

I received an answer about the head yesterday (yeah, they answered very fast :sweet:). But it seems, the lego service misunderstood my request. They told me to turn the head around, because it is printed two-sided and I would find the missing face on the other side. I thought the different element-IDs are obvious enough. But okay, the two heads actually look very similar and maybe it is not easy for everyone to identify the difference. In addition they are both printed two-sided and are maybe listed in each case with the other face. Well, I answered them a bit more detailed (with pictures and stuff) and wait now for the next e-mail to come in.

Anyway, during my research for good pictures, I found both heads listed on bricklink.com (https://www.bricklin...tem.asp?M=pi149 and https://www.bricklin...em.asp?M=pi149a). I don't know why lego shipped the same set with two different heads. If this change was really intended, they should also have changed the packaging or at least the manual. Or have the correct ones gone out and then they have simply taken a similar head as a substitute, so that they could deliver? That would be really paltry.

OMG!!!

Now i am worried when mine gets here!!

Just curious, but which is the 'wrong' head? Is it the one https://www.bricklin...em.asp?M=pi149a pictured here? Because I find that preferable to the one I actually got, which is the one in the instructions. Also much more rare. The one I have looks kind of wrong for an Admiral or whatever he's meant to be. When the new head is more common on BrickLink I'm going to get it and swap my 'right' head for the 'wrong' one.

I'd order a replacement hull part if I knew I'd get a better one, but it's impossible to tell. I'm just going to live with it. It doesn't affect my appreciation of the set and I don't notice from the angle I look at it anyway.

Actually, which part is faulty - the base part, or the piece that goes on top of it?

Edited by David Thomsen

Well, i was thinking about something!....regarding the head,,,,i remembered that my Pirate of the Caribbean: Queen Anne's Revenge , the Skeleton head at front of the ship was normal one and not like the one in the Mnual and box. i came to knoe that, these were a prototype photos.

Same thing is happening here with the BB....the box art and manual are having the admiral head with long wide mouth, where , in the set and Lego site, it is the one we got ( small mouth ) which is wrong one ( is it?---could this be the right one? )...loool...

So maybe those Heads ( from the Box art and manual ) were produced limited then Lego decided to change it????

Everything is possible!

Cheers

Edited by VintageLegoEra

Just curious, but which is the 'wrong' head? Is it the one https://www.bricklin...em.asp?M=pi149a pictured here? [...]

Yes, that is the "wrong" head .

It's a bit funny, that you like this one, but have the other and for the most of us it's vice versa. I personally think that the "correct" head is more suitable for the admiral. He looks a bit smarter and as if he is enthusiastic for the next action. The other one is rather more harsh and embittered.

[...]

Actually, which part is faulty - the base part, or the piece that goes on top of it?

I think it is the top part. It seems that it doesn't fit correctly on the base part. But it is also possible, that both parts are faulty. I would like to compare it with one of the previous ship-sets. But since I don't own any, I can't. Maybe somebody else can do this.

It's a bit funny, that you like this one, but have the other and for the most of us it's vice versa. I personally think that the "correct" head is more suitable for the admiral. He looks a bit smarter and as if he is enthusiastic for the next action. The other one is rather more harsh and embittered.

I guess I've seen it too many times as the 'goofy' head (pirate with banana in chess set) or a kid's head (winter toy shop, easter boy dropping egg) or lower ranking Castle soldiers to really take it seriously as an Admiral. "Harsh and embittered' is exactly how I expect an Admiral to look.