Seeky

How do you control your spending & what do you collect

Im really curious has to how you control your spending as mine is out of control lately and my poor credit card is getting beaten up lol.. Do you collect different themes ? As I was trying to collect the avengers and Star Wars but one has got to give as it's getting to expensive

Good question. I don't have much money to throw around at the moment. On the other hand, I know from experience that you can let opportunities slip through your fingers; sets don't stay in production indefinitely. So I balance the two by focusing on a) those things that are highest on my wants list and b) likely not to be on store shelves that long.

I collect mostly fantasy/mythology/historical minifigs and monsters, so the CMFs are priorities. I splashed out on the S13 CMFs despite my indigence, but I'm holding back on Flinx's Ultimate Phoenix until I'm more financially secure and on the Lonely Mountain until I've cleared some debts.

As I only get things with a view to adding them to my permanent display collection or for parts I may use for a permanent addition, I rarely make impulse purchases and when I do, they're always small.

Edited by AmperZand

I can't control it but I will sell whatever sets I don't like after I built them for a reduced price. This way I can least make back some of the money for other sets I do like.

I mainly collect CITYrelated stuff, especially modulars, I have two or more of every modular except the two first ones, CC and MS. All the CMFs, trains, Creators like VW Camper, Fairground Mixer, Mini Cooper, furthermore The Simpsons House, Bricktober, HPgames etc. Have 2-300 sealed boxes (NISB) Last year I spent about 6000 USD on Lego :blush:

Sooo... it`s kinda hard to control it.. :wink:

Edited by Chilis

I always mean to budget but haven't for any of my various collections. In theory, my Lego collection is mainly modulars (and related sets that can be modified to work in a city layout like Friends shops, etc.) and minifigs (superheroes, CMFs, and SW). I do have some LOTR, one Harry Potter set, a few Lego movie sets, and SW microfighters so you see how I'm not terribly strict with my guidelines. I make some effort to find things on sale or wait until double points. In general, I try not to go crazy and keep in mind that there's only so much room to display things. Since I shop with either my sister or boyfriend I like to imagine that they will restrain me if necessary, but they're fairly non-judgmental over my purchases.

Not having money to spend helps control my spending. :laugh: I limit my collecting to sets I really want versus being complete in a theme's particular offering.

I find it hard to resist a bargain which might explain why I've accumulated nearly 90 Technic, Model Team and Racers sets in 4-5 years.

Realising things were getting a little obsessive I now control my spending by passing bargains on to a good friend who has a Bricklink store.

Edited by grum64

I started getting back into Lego last here, so there was a tremendous amount that I wanted and so much to choose from. By my standards I definitely splurged this past year, but I cut back heavily on other non-essentials to not hurt the bank account. Right now I'd like to eventually collect all the Elves sets. I would have loved to have been able to buy sets from the Indiana Jones and Lone Ranger themes, but was too late. I'll have to be patient for more adventure themes.

Not having money to spend helps control my spending. :laugh: I limit my collecting to sets I really want versus being complete in a theme's particular offering.

I can't agree more with this. I don't spend money that I don't have. Right now I'm limited to Lego gift cards given to me for during holidays. I also live in the small space that is shared, so I try to be mindful of that.

Assuming I someday soon get a good paying job, I'll hopefully prevent excessive spending by rationalizing to my self that:

-Lego is a want, not a need. There are more important things in life to be investing into (house, career etc.)

-You can't fit infinite sets in your house and you rarely can display all the sets you own- make sure to save space on future sets that you'll surely want.

-It's okay to not have every single set of a theme- pick the ones you love the most. Avoid a 'gotta collected 'em all' mentality, especially in regards to those never ending themes.

(Note that the above refers to me. I don't judge others if they do differently and want to build a museum's worth of Lego :classic: )

I couldn't agree more with that :laugh: And this is pretty much the mantra that I now adopt when it comes to buying. I've had to drastically cut back on LEGO buying recently but, at the same time, I want to keep on top of my collection (which involves being a completist in CCBS-based sets, Chima minifigs, Ninjago villains, dragons and moulded animals) and not let anything slip through (so I buy at first possible opportunity a lot). I often find myself scrutinising potential purchases to decide whether it's better to buy the set or just BL some of the figures I want from it, because sometimes I come across a set I really want just for the minifigs (like bigfigs from Super Heroes sets), and well, sometimes it's less hassle (and cheaper) to just buy the figs. I also run a BL store (though it's been shut for most of the year so far...) which generates more income to buy new sets as well as to help deal with another problem I have: lack of space. If I get bored with a set, I break it up and part it out into my BL store to sell the parts from it. Same with many of those superfluous small builds that come with loads of the sets I collect, they get broken up and put up for sale.

So far it's worked to an extent, even on a fairly small budget like mine. The only problem is that it's not only LEGO clamouring at me for my money :tongue:

I limit myself to what I want and what I know I'll honestly use. Some stuff looks really cool, but I know I may never really use and would almost be buying it for bragging rights. This applies to minifigures a lot.

I've also learned to sell what I don't readily use for more Lego money. Otherwise Lego VIP and sales/clearance helps.

I never got caught up in collecting sets or themes, I just want lots of parts to build my own creations. That means Technic elements and architectural elements in neutral and muted colors. I also pick up classic pieces like slotted bricks when I can get them cheap.

To control my spending, I have a Paypal account I use only for buying and selling LEGO. I have been doing eBay for years, but just started selling seriously at Bricklink a few months ago. This way I only spend what I've earned from selling things I don't want to keep and my habit feeds itself. I started this about 8 years ago with an initial investment of $60. Since that time I've grown my collection from about 20,000 pieces to over 50,000 (plus what is in my BL inventory) and I currently have several hundred dollars in my PayPal account to spend on more, so my habit has been self-sustaining.

It's a good way to manage it, I think. I enjoy the selling part and I don't have to feel like I'm spending necessary funds on a "luxury."

I mainly collect Star Wars sets, I usually wait till both waves have come out and then I buy what sets I like. When it comes to UCS sets I try and limit myself to two year.

I accept to do more "overtime" at my job when a new wave is release so I can buy what I want :)!

I have eliminated a few other expenses to make more room for Lego...its sort of working! Haha...

I decide what I really want and that has the highest priority. It's for me very rare to purchase a whole wave of a LEGO theme. Being very discriminating in the sets I buy is often a burden, because I regret sometimes that I haven't bought certain discontinued sets. But I think that's a part of life and I accept that.

The only thing I really dislike about TLG's stock policy, is that most sets are no longer than 1 year or less available (with the exception ofcourse like the Death Star). I wish I could at least take some time to justify a purchase.

Keeping up your loot per month is something I'm doing very recent. It helps keeping track what I bought back then.

not having a credit card actually helps me. before i use to have one and will always think that i have unlimited money. right now i've change to debit card which helps me with my budget. I mainly collects modulars, creator house, simpsons and got just the HE for my train and a few city sets.

I don't worry too much about my spending, I resell (some or all of sets) to subsidize my habit. Plus I sell other stuff online for nice profits, like books, and when I sell one I bought for a dollar for 50 bucks, I don't mind shelling out for a set with that money. It's like I paid a dollar for it!

Also, I work for a company that sells LEGO, and I get 20% off and can usually pick it up at the end of my shift.

You know, they say that college students these days have more disposable income than ever before? I really don't feel like that is the case, at least for me.

Throw me into the 'has no money' hat, and on top of that I'm saving up for next semester's classes, the class I want to take this summer, and a Printrbot Simple Metal 3D printer kit - so at this point I'm breaking down all the sets I have built for parts. I don't do display stuff all that much unless it's something I built, so having this influx of new parts periodically helps a lot.

I try to restrict my collecting to City, Friends, and Star Wars, although I've cut out Star Wars pretty much since most sets are repeats of sets I already have. I still need to get the B-Wing that's out now. I haven't been able to buy much City in a while--I wanted to get some of the arctic sets, but I haven't bought any yet. I want to get a few of the Elves sets more.

For me, budgeting is easy and super simple. My LEGO hobby has to be self supporting. If I want to buy something, I have to sell something. I don't spend a single dollar of family money.

As for purchasing, I buy what catches my eye, and fits in with what I like to build. This limits me to mostly Star Wars and City with the occasional Superhero set thrown in. If a set from a different set has great parts, I'll consider that, too. I couldn't care less about being "complete" in a theme. It does not add any more enjoyment for me.

And lastly, I almost -NEVER- pay MSRP. I always wait for a sale, or wait for double VIP points.

More moccing, less collecting. The last months the only Lego I bought was on Bricklink for a large moc. I like to build my own modular houses, and I feel less and less the need to buy all the modular sets. The last two I didn't buy yet; I don't know if I ever will, knowing that I've got limited space and prefer to spend my money on loose bricks to make my own buildings.

I collect mostly city sets. What I've been doing lately is Bricklinking parts of the model that I want instead of buying it outright. For example in 60026 Town Square the only thing I really wanted in the set was the bus and the statue. Why spend $120 USD on that when I can buy a sticker sheet for about $4 and the necessary pieces for those two sections for significantly less than MSRP? It saves me both space and money, even if you do have to make a note of what parts you need, pay for shipping and wait longer to get a completed model. It's worth it in the end to me. Unfortunately, I don't believe this strategy would work very well for any other themes.

Once I had a credit card......oh, it was bad......spent about three thousand on Lego sets over two years on it......now after five years without a credit card I pay cash for everything, of course when I can afford it.

City, DC Super Heroes are my main two areas of collecting......though if a set is useful or takes my fancy I'll buy it.

I've learned to control only what I need for my City - which is anything Modular, City, and the elements I need from the PaB wall. If I go with other themes, I'd run out of $$$. The only exception are the Exclusives (i.e. the Mini-Cooper, etc.)

Before I learned to control my spending, I went crazy with Lego purchases. I broke the 9000 points since I've had my VIP Card :blush:

Now I have to control my Bricklink buying...

Edited by KringlesBricks

I have a monthly "allowance" set as a budget. If the desired item exceeds the budget, I may have to save up for a couple of months or so. Credit card debt is not a good thing.