Turaga of Force

Where do Rare/HTF Parts come from?

Well, there´s a large model of the nose part of a 747 in the park:

The color was Pearl Light Grey and it was sold in the PaB also in the park. KimT bought a lot of 2x4´s and made himself a pyramid helmet, sorry no picture of that :laugh:!

That's part of the same project. The same building also houses this model.

1484093969_42ca7da254.jpg

Legoland - Boeing 747 Jumbo by benallsup, on Flickr

(not my picture, BTW.)

This model consists largely of plates and tiles in the same colour as the cockpit you posted. They had the intention of building several of these, but that never happened, and they sold the surplus in one of the shops as well. I've got plates and tiles in that colour, in addition to some basic bricks.

I used much of it to build this diner three years ago.

3915362892_80be8d0860.jpg

Diner (5) by Mad physicist, on Flickr

I realise that it's not immediately obvious from either picture that it isn't just grey, but when looking at these bricks in real life the difference is very obvious. On my diner you can see it on the wall next to the entrance. The 'macaroni' bricks are regular bluish grey and the wall is pearl. It has a somewhat metallic sheen to it.

Having searched a bit more on bricklink, I've come to realise that they are listed in bricklink. I found some of the plates for sale, for something like €0.20 per 1x1 plate.

Cheers,

Ralph

That explains why I ended up with a whole bunch of 1x1 Pearl Grey bricks in amongst an eBay purchase of old-grey castle bricks...

I've got no idea what I'll use them for, I'm sure something will come up however.

Thought this was interesting of some former rare and special parts that are now common and produced by TLG:

Maersk Blue Construction Helmet

Green Metal Detector

Black Beard

Red C-3PO Head

Red Zip/Ray Gun

Thought this was interesting of some former rare and special parts that are now common and produced by TLG:

Maersk Blue Construction Helmet

Green Metal Detector

Black Beard

Red C-3PO Head

Red Zip/Ray Gun

Trans clear 1x2 are another example. They used to be as rare as rocking horse poo, but are now available in several sets. I've seen a picture of one of the LEGO games sets that suggests there will be soon be 1x4 tiles in trans clear as well.

Cheers,

Ralph

Hi all. I was going around BL the other day to make a few small orders to start on a new moc. Anyway while I was looking around I noticed some old peices i just take for granted are selling for huge prices! So I thaught why not make a topic listing rare,unusual possibly valuable peices that people mat just have lying around?

A perfect example of this is the Yellow halfarches that according to Lego Historian are very rare! I myself have a few of these lying around I never even noticed before and it turns out they are worth a bit? (I dont even know where they came from? *huh* )

7950010052_3b09e43104.jpg

By Lego Historian by Joker 789, on Flickr

Please let us know about any little gems that we may have lying around and have never even noticed.

@Lego Historian-If you would rather i didnt use this picture let me know and i will delete it :wink: .

Edited by The Joker1

This does not seem to be rare to me.

according to BL: (3 sets had this piece - and they were not rare sets I would say.

although it is pretty hard to find 'COMPLETE' for them.)

but of course, it depends how you define 'rare' :)

Set No: 10039 Name: Black Falcon's Fortress

2 in 10039

Set No: 6074 Name: Black Falcon's Fortress

2 in 6074

Set No: 6276 Name: Eldorado Fortress

2 in 6276

Set No: 1584 Name: Knights Challenge

2 in 1584

Set No: 6060 Name: Knight's Challenge

2 in 6060

Hi all. I was going around BL the other day to make a few small orders to start on a new moc. Anyway while I was looking around I noticed some old peices i just take for granted are selling for huge prices! So I thaught why not make a topic listing rare,unusual possibly valuable peices that people mat just have lying around?

A perfect example of this is the Yellow halfarches that according to Lego Historian are very rare! I myself have a few of these lying around I never even noticed before and it turns out they are worth a bit? (I dont even know where they came from? *huh* )

Please let us know about any little gems that we may have lying around and have never even noticed.

@Lego Historian-If you would rather i didnt use this picture let me know and i will delete it :wink: .

Edited by Ricecracker
Please don't quote images

according to BL: (3 sets had this piece - and they were not rare sets I would say.

2 in 10039

2 in 6074

2 in 6276

2 in 1584

2 in 6060

Oh i was under the impression they were rarer :sad: Oh well heres another try-The grey boat that only came in this orient set almost 10 years ago!

http://www.peeron.com/inv/sets/7410-1

Interesting how one's definition of "rare" changes as one moves up as an FOL. Heck, when I was younger, I used to think the yellow fan blades from Anakin's podracer were rare just because non of my friends had those pieces.

I have a few of those, but bricklink only lists them as averaging $1.85 for new and $0.47 for used (which mine would be). As rare as they may or may not be, I don't find that to be valuable. Unless I am missing something.

But some sets may be more sought after even though they aren't that rare, and some pieces may be rare, but people aren't wanting them. The world works in funny ways.

But there are plenty of pieces that only come in one set. With that said, outside of some collectors, I don't know how much the older color scheme appeals to a lot of people since the creation of the new color wheel (the stone gray, other shades of brown, etc.)

I'll have to keep my eye out for rare/valuable pieces. I'm probably sitting on a gold mine, or I probably broke those pieces as a child :blush:

Interesting how one's definition of "rare" changes as one moves up as an FOL. Heck, when I was younger, I used to think the yellow fan blades from Anakin's podracer were rare just because non of my friends had those pieces.

I agree

Those arches (which I bought from Gary) currently costs $1.85 each (and there is only ONE new for sale at the moment) at BL, so 12 for for 12 USD is quite a good deal (<-- note, allways look out for Gary's/LEGO Historian's deals!)

But when I was a kid (that's 77' to 89' - back then there was NO ebay/BL! - only LEGO Customer Service, but I had no idea how to order from) .. rare was what you DIDN'T have but what your mates DID have :devil:

Back then I remember really lusting for more pneuamtics, shock absorbers, big technic wheels and those big fancy transparent panels used in space sets .. Oh, and monorail!

I did have a big 12V train setup (7740/50/60 + lots of stations etc) and that was a big envy to my playmates :blush:

When one of my friends got a monorail, I remember we tried REAL hard to make monorail tracks out of existing bricks (and failed)

But now, 'rare' has taken a whole new meaning. just try bricklinking a Millennium Falcon and you'll se the full power of capitalism, haha

I've also stepped into the dark world of SW but I'm quite content with the current option of sets and I'll not blow crazy money on a gold Darth Vader or similar (<-- relax, he dosn't exist!)

I LUV BL and all I want is pretty much just up for graps :laugh:

'Cept monorail, that I had to shell out 4Keuro to get a decent setup :hmpf:

I've noticed LEGO Historian selling double transparant macaronies for serious money .. I remember in my very early youth buildng towers with those ... and playing with those funny looking 1:87 trucks with company names .. and those neat little 1x1 round bricks with names one them ... (My memory is getting better, I can elaborate if anyone wants to know)

Sorry to say, all that is lost now :sad:

But that stuff is quite rare. Rare as in worth-loads-of-money ... sigh

Timemachine, I want you *huh*

Timemachine, I want you *huh*

Amen to that, my friend! I own a wavy/curved-ish Canadian flag piece that "LEGO Historian" informs me is worth $70-90! The problem - it was chewed by a dog at some point in my childhood. :cry3: :cry3:

Thanks Joker1... I'm actually flattered that you used my image and mentioned those particular items.

Sometimes some things just don't make sense the way they are priced on all sites....

About 2 years ago Maersk blue 1x2 bricks were very rare (fewer than 100 available)... then the floodgates opened (PAB??)..... and now there are over 9 thousand available... but the price has not yet completely reflected this... they're still rather pricey (especially by some sellers)....

http://www.bricklink...3004&colorID=72

And even though Maersk is a rarer and pricier color... some of their parts were dirt cheap for the longest time... I bought over 300 of these (never found in a set... all the supply comes from the Windsor England Model Shop)... for less than 20 cents each... the only reason they went up in price finally was because I sort of cornered the market in them (I needed 11 for each of the REGINA MAERSK MOCs that I sold over the last 2 years)... but they're still a bargain....

http://www.bricklink...062b&colorID=72

And then you have something really wacky like this.... (in mint only 12 are available)....

http://www.bricklink...=3659&colorID=3

I'm going to start digging for some of these... I have at least 50 of these in mint! default_satisfied.gif

These used to be extremely rare (only found in the Yellow Castles) to suddenly common (must have been model shop leftovers)... and now they're rare again.... (4 are in my Yellow Castle offering on Buy-Sell-Trade)....

http://www.bricklink.com/catalogPG.asp?P=3685&colorID=3

And then these used to be very very rare.... (only from one set... 4 found in the 7740 Intercity Train)... then they became plentiful (more model shop inventory?).... and now they're getting pricey again...

http://www.bricklink.com/catalogPG.asp?P=3675&colorID=3

And these were very pricey... until a 2012 set had a pair in them... (also probably more PAB inventory)....

http://www.bricklink.com/catalogPG.asp?P=30056&colorID=1

And then there's this pair... I thought the bubble would burst one day on these (especially if it's not a discontinued part).... somebody just got lucky and must have gotten a hold of a small quantity of model shop parts.... just look at the "used" prices compared to new... about 2 months ago some of these used prices were double what they are now...

http://www.bricklink.com/catalogPG.asp?P=3186&colorID=11

http://www.bricklink.com/catalogPG.asp?P=3187&colorID=11

And then there's the "Grand Puhbah" of rare parts gone dirt common... some of these were selling for hundreds of dollars... and some Chinese shyksters were making fakes (but they were Teal and not Maersk blue)...

http://www.bricklink.com/catalogPG.asp?P=3833&colorID=72

Edited by LEGO Historian

I would like a nice mint TLG sticker sheet that the company used for these "Denmark only" rarities...

http://www.bricklink.com/search.asp?itemID=83163&colorID=1

A sticker sheet with 500 of these on them.... would be nice! default_satisfied.gif

Although these sticker sheets were used by the company to hand label the 1x1 round bricks before they left the factory.... but that's OK... I still would like this sticker sheet.... default_laugh_new.gif

If you want an example of rare when it comes to Maresk Blue parts some of the rarest are the 1 x 3 x 1 car doors, the 1 x 3 x 2 doors with stickers and the rare-as-hens-teeth baseball cap.

Not a part but I have a black suitcase/storage case. Those ones from 1986/87. Not even listed as a "known color" on BL. Never seen one on ebay or doing a google search...nothing. If you want to buy it, it's in my BL store for $10000, lol. Really not for sale as I know noone will pay that much but wanted to put the picture on there so people know it exists.

2 in 10039

2 in 6074

2 in 6276

2 in 1584

2 in 6060

it is rare because none of those sets are in production.

I know I don't have any super rare pieces, because my current collection was just started late last year and my childhood Lego pile was given away years ago. Most of my pieces are from current sets. I have a handful of used parts from Bricklink though. The only expensive ones are used in the exhaust of my hot rod project. At about $4 each on average after shipping costs, the exhaust alone is worth nearly a hundred dollars. They must be rare or at least highly sought after, if 24 small Lego pieces = $96.

Not a part but I have a black suitcase/storage case. Those ones from 1986/87. Not even listed as a "known color" on BL. Never seen one on ebay or doing a google search...nothing. If you want to buy it, it's in my BL store for $10000, lol. Really not for sale as I know noone will pay that much but wanted to put the picture on there so people know it exists.

That's because you don't own a copy of my DVD/download E-Book.... Chapter 16 - LEGO Buckets & Storage Cases...default_blink.gif

This case also comes in a lavender color from a USA exclusive variation of the 6271 Imperial Flagship Set

7982967093_c84af15fcc_z.jpg

There's about 200 boxes you won't find in any online database that I have in my LEGO DVD/download E-Book... many not even in the LEGO Archives.... default_tong.gif

7779014310_815bce888e_b.jpg

Oh i was under the impression they were rarer :sad: Oh well heres another try-The grey boat that only came in this orient set almost 10 years ago!

http://www.peeron.com/inv/sets/7410-1

I have a few of those boats, never realized they were only released in one set. The only other rare parts I know about are test run pieces in odd colors i got from bricklink.

What about this? Was browsing castle torsos the other day and came across this. It's labelled 'Knight's Kingdom', but it doesn't seem to appear in any sets. It was supposedly released in 2003, but this was the only castle released that year, and I don't think it appears in any of those.