42039 - 24 Hours Race Car Rating  

194 members have voted

1. 1. How do you rate this set?

Toys R Us just had this set on sale last week for $103.99 which was a great price.. I wanted to pick one up and actually build it, but I waited too long and now it's back to it's regular price.. :sceptic:

I got mine 2 weeks ago for 55€. New Set, only the Package was a bit damaged.

I love the A-Model. This week i will rebuild it to the B-Model.

Great Job Jim, :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: I Love you Reviews! :wub:

Edited by hsky

Great review Jim! :thumbup:

Thanks Rick!

Well, Jim and Sariel got me interested in Technic from their superb reviews, and today I build this set, my first technic set. I also purchased the Volvo wheel loader, but it was missing a bag. I must say, I think this set is great! There were many times I had to marvel at the planning that went into the model, and there were many pieces included I didn't even know existed. So thanks Jim and Sariel! Hopefully I'll make a technic moc of my own soon to share with everyone.

Edited by Asad

Hi, could someone please post or link that original design pictures mentioned by Jim in the review? I'm curious. Thank you.

Great and complete review Jim, I like pictures and especially short videos, I bought the set after reading your review:

1473872036m_DISPLAY.jpg

And confirm lonely orphan 3L Blue Pin is not a mistake I found the same in my set:

1473968524m_DISPLAY.jpg

Regards.

Edited by Viejito

On 13/03/2015 at 0:46 AM, JGW3000 said:

Jim, great review as always. You convinced me to get this one of these days, although not a to priority. Any comments on which functions can be converted to PF and how well they work?

Agree, nice review

Very good review. As I own one myself it is an excellent model for playing or mocing with

Aventador

Jim, great review as always. You convinced me to get this one of these days, although not a to priority. Any comments on which functions can be converted to PF and how well they work?

•  

I have built a rc one but I deconstructed it recently

On 9/16/2016 at 5:03 AM, Viejito said:

Great and complete review Jim, I like pictures and especially short videos, I bought the set after reading your review:

And confirm lonely orphan 3L Blue Pin is not a mistake I found the same in my set:

Regards.

I had the same pin orphaned in my set

Aventador

Edited by Aventador2004

I'm in the process of building this car, but I'm having issues on page 116 of the instructions. I can't get the part to fit. I even tried bending the parts,  but no luck. What do you suggest?

On 2017-7-4 at 2:46 AM, Chase Rosipayla said:

NIce job Jim! Reading this post is what made me want to get this kit.:blush:

Thanks Chase! This is still one of my favourite models!

2 hours ago, Efilenow said:

I'm in the process of building this car, but I'm having issues on page 116 of the instructions. I can't get the part to fit. I even tried bending the parts,  but no luck. What do you suggest?

Can you explain what is not working for you? Maybe post a picture? 

On a related note:

Is it just me or are the instructions for 42039 bad quality? I remember building it and having to bend the parts in some steps.

Having disassembled the model last week i realize that there are some stages of the build where there's only one or two correct next steps. But still, i was taken aback at some steps suggested in the instructions. :sceptic:

I can't remember that. What I remember is that it's a very clean build. Have built the model twice, but I don't recall having issues. But it has been a while, so I might have forgotten.

I don't remember the exact steps any more, but here's an example i just found in Step 34:
I3NHqJB.jpg

I guess calling it "bending" is exaggerated in this case, but it wouldn't be possible without the flexibility of the pieces.

This isn't a problem, just something i'm not used to from official instructions, as there would have been a way without "bending" necessary.

(English isn't my first language, is there a better word instead of "bending" for this kind of thing?)

4 minutes ago, schraubedrin said:

I guess calling it "bending" is exaggerated in this case, but it wouldn't be possible without the flexibility of the pieces.

You are absolutely right! That seems a bit odd for official instructions.

Come to think of it....didn't I mention this in my review? 

I need to read the review again :tongue:

Found it :laugh:

"The instructions are easy to follow, although you sometimes you need to bend the beams a bit. Minor improvements are possible here and there, but nothing shocking."

I suddenly remembered writing something about it.

On 12.3.2015 at 5:12 PM, Jim said:

although you sometimes you need to bend the beams a bit.

Indeed, you've noticed it at the time.
Sorry i restarted the discussion :grin: