42039 - 24 Hours Race Car Rating  

194 members have voted

1. 1. How do you rate this set?

Because on older models (Silver Champion, Williams F1) flex axles were used to make the body of the models, they were made from a soft rubbery plastic.

This kick isn't needless. I hardly buy sets anymore, only the loose parts I need. This, because I don't want to have another pile of hundreds of pins, gears, axles... I certainly don't want to spend money on yet another six-AA battery box, cilinder blocks, etc. The 42039 was only interesting to me for the 6-hole wheels, the green panels, the black 3x11 panels and the flexaxles. Not much to justify the ~90 Euros and another addition to my sorting system reaching its limits again.

But on the other hand I learned that it's better to still have most of my parts in complete sets: to make it easier to sell part of my stock later, if needed. Past week, I saw an auction of a shop handling returns from other online shops. They sold an "incomplete" 42039 this time. Price: €24,95. Now look closely:

42039incomplete.jpg

The feeling was already good, there were two more closeups of the bags. Of course, the tires are missing. The stickers, box and manual as well. BUT, comparing the bags with the bags in this review allowed me to conclude: there are no more than TWO little bags missing, one of which only contains black pins and bushes; the other one a few other pins and common engine parts like pistons. I had everything in my spare stock. The tires as well.

With this review, I could compare the original contents of the box with the pictures in the auction. Jims highly detailed pictures of every single bag in this set then made it possible to judge this as a bargain beyond compare.

So Jim and every other reviewer that might read this: please continue to document the box contents, it's sometimes very helpful!

So Jim and every other reviewer that might read this: please continue to document the box contents, it's sometimes very helpful!

Thanks for the heads-up. I was in doubt whether to continue with the bags, but apparently it can be useful, so I will continue my usual habit.

First, I thought it'd be needless static info myself. It already came in handy at least one other time though (another review, don't remember), so indeed it's worth the effort :classic:.

The review itself is good too, though. Thorough reviews are always useful even in many years, when someone coming out of his dark ages wants to know whether it's worth to buy the reviewed set 2nd hand.

Thanks for the heads-up. I was in doubt whether to continue with the bags, but apparently it can be useful, so I will continue my usual habit.

indeed it is very helpful, I got my 9398 box damaged and without guarrantee of missing parts, at a great price so I took the risk, I compared to a review (I forget whose it was) which had excellent pictures of all the bags

and I found I was missing nothing luckily... but I sure would not have taken the risk without having a reference point

Thank you for your great review. After coming out of my dark age and starting to collect and build Lego sets again, I decides to give Technic a try. I was aware of this set and I'm a big WEC / Le Mans fan. I was also aware of the negative feedback on this set based on the preliminary picture and the final model, but still was thinking of buying it. After reading your review and watching Jangbrick's review (awesome channel by the way) and Sariel's, I decide to buy the set and so did two days ago. I completed it this evening and I really love the model. It's HUGE! I enjoyed the build and like the functions. Tomorrow I am going to fit the power functions to it.

Anyway, just a thank you from a new member.

Edited by 6ix

I've purchased 42020, 42028, 42032, 42042 and 42043 just since July 29, and on Wednesday night I gave in to temptation and curiosity and ordered this set as well :laugh: want those bright green parts :thumbup:

Hi 6ix,

Welcome to EB!

Glad you enjoyed the review, and the set!!

Thanks Jim. I think the whole front/nose section and especially the front wing look much better than in the preliminary picture. It looks much sleeker and faster. The one thing I wished Lego had kept on this model is the vertical stabilizer, but without it the model still looks great.

Thanks Jim. I think the whole front/nose section and especially the front wing look much better than in the preliminary picture. It looks much sleeker and faster. The one thing I wished Lego had kept on this model is the vertical stabilizer, but without it the model still looks great.

Check out the general discussion topic on this set, some people (including me) have modded the set to include the stabilizer. I also modded the nose on mine to be lower and sleeker

Im currently working on phase II of my mod though, adding some fins and panels is one thing, but if you compare the model to a proper lmp1 (im using the toyota TS040), some things are out of whack still, which im trying to correct.

The one thing I wished Lego had kept on this model is the vertical stabilizer, but without it the model still looks great.

I suspect this was also done so that there weren't any potential issues with the set resembling any current LMP1 car, which as you will know all carry the "Big Honking Fin".

I'm glad you enjoy the set though, as I too am a fan of LMPs and was initially put off by the reaction following the changes from the preliminary model but pushed to buy the set thanks to Jim's excellent review.

Edited by Jay Psi

Thank you, Vectormatic. I'm also thinking of modding it, maybe even buy a second set to do so and keep this one in it's original form. I haven't decided yet, though.

Jay Psi, I don't know. The model is of a generic LMP1 and I doubt the fin itself carries any license.

But the car doesn't really need the fin, just need to keep it away from any Ferrari 458 to prevent it from flipping :classic:

Jay Psi, I don't know. The model is of a generic LMP1 and I doubt the fin itself carries any license.

No the fin wouldn't be licensed, but the preliminary model (with fin) very closely resembled the 2011-13 Audi R18. I was even surprised at the time that they had managed to get away with making so similar without getting the lawyers involved. While the final model does look more generic, the front end is still very reminiscent of the Toyota TS040, and like that car 42039 has a V8 engine. I could be being paranoid on Lego's behalf, but I think that they wanted to make sure nobody could point any fingers, hence the lack of BHF.

It also makes the set look nicer to my eyes - I know almost everyone has become used to the fins and holes on LMPs now but that doesn't mean the cars wouldn't look better if they were removed.

But the car doesn't really need the fin, just need to keep it away from any Ferrari 458 to prevent it from flipping :classic:

Comment of the day right there! :grin:

No the fin wouldn't be licensed, but the preliminary model (with fin) very closely resembled the 2011-13 Audi R18. I was even surprised at the time that they had managed to get away with making so similar without getting the lawyers involved. While the final model does look more generic, the front end is still very reminiscent of the Toyota TS040, and like that car 42039 has a V8 engine. I could be being paranoid on Lego's behalf, but I think that they wanted to make sure nobody could point any fingers, hence the lack of BHF.

Yeah, the prelim pics were very R-18 like, i was kinda heartbroken when the final version was shown :( That said, i dont mind the TS040 style front end, but the missing BHF....

And i agree LMPs looked pretty good pre-BHF, i really like the open cockpit ones too (R8-R15), but i just cant help wanting it to look like a realistic current car :P

The designer video shows Markus Kossman and Milan Reindl. Did they, or one of them also design the 24 Hours Race Car or did they just present the video?

Turns out you are right. I just read a reference to someone named Uwe in the 24 Hours Race Car general discussion thread. I searched this name on Bing (no, I don't use Google) and found this link:

http://www.lego.com/...echnic-pit-pass

Edit: By the way, seems a LMP1 car from Lego was long overdue since the most successful Le Mans driver is Danish :classic:

Edited by 6ix

Whenever I open a new set, I always open a review of that set and check the bags for completeness!

I don't think you're allowed to embed preliminary images. Better put a link to that picture instead.

I like the production model better, though, especially the front/nose section.

Edited by 6ix

I've just opened the box after getting my 42039 today.

From the pics, I'm at a draw about the front itself. As for the front light sections, I like the preliminary version better.

I like parts of both designs. Has anyone attempted the preliminary? I'd be curious to see it. I may have to bricklink those head lights when I finally get around to building this one