42039 - 24 Hours Race Car Rating  

194 members have voted

1. 1. How do you rate this set?

I like parts of both designs. Has anyone attempted the preliminary? I'd be curious to see it. I may have to bricklink those head lights when I finally get around to building this one

The preliminary contains some non-existant parts, the rounder wheelarches for instance, and some panels which arent available in bright green, im also not sure if the very light bley parts are available.

Very nice set, I like the new design. Though I'm not really a motorsports fan I can say that the model almost resembles an Audi LMP car based from the pictures I have. I made some changes mainly to reinforce some sections of the car I think is weak, I color coordinated some parts of the set, then I changed the wheel design, 6-spoked facing design seems more appropriate for me as it gives the set a more street-race ready look, I got an extra pair of stickers from Lego since the rim stickers I originally had was damaged, do no lose the plastic packaging of the manual it has that proof of purchase that can be very useful if you or your kid damages the sticker, Lego will actually send you a new set of stickers.

The set on the other hand is considerably big, instead of LAs it uses simpler ways to lift that gullwing doors and the engine cover, kudos to the new gearbox system, they're sturdier. I felt the set deserves an L-Motor but it has a very tight space for the PF set and only and M-Motor can fit which for me is quite lame.

I skipped the A-model and built the B-model, as it's the most preferable kind of car IMO. I plan to disassemble it anyway, but I don't know yet what I'll make from the parts.

I skipped the A-model and built the B-model, as it's the most preferable kind of car IMO. I plan to disassemble it anyway, but I don't know yet what I'll make from the parts.

There was a C-model posted here of a very nice GT car: http://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=110661

Id build that first myself, before moccing something of my own

Great review on this set.

I'm not a fan of Technic theme but this set really impress me. It must be how well the colour scheme work together, the overall deisgn and the size of this set.

Your review is spot on Jim !!

I just build it and it is really an interesting build, and the frame is quite sturdy. I thought it would be flimsy but its not.

I haven't seen people compare it to the 8070, and it is huge....

I'm very happy with the purchase, thanks to this review.

Cheers.

post-22502-0-24673100-1445266257_thumb.jpg

I just build it and it is really an interesting build, and the frame is quite sturdy. I thought it would be flimsy but its not.

Cheers.

Glad you like it.

Nice comparison picture. I know it's a big model, but your image definitely proves it's huge!! :sweet:

First technic set I bought and I absolutely love the model. I hope the rumored IP car is something like this.

I voted Outstanding because I just finished building this set today. This was my first Technic set in 5 years and it did not disappoint. It took me about 10 to 12 hours (or so) over 5 days to build. Great, fun build, great learning experience (which is why I build sets... to learn), great parts pack, great new parts, I really like the wheels and tires and the wheel hubs I even like the bright green panels. They will be really useful and look great in MOCs I have planned.

I also have 2 sets (bought an extra for parts) now I have to decide... Build the B model or build something like the 42037 (I have that set in the wings as well).

Andy D

Edited by Andy D

I skipped the A-model and built the B-model, as it's the most preferable kind of car IMO.

Yes I agree. I was underwhelmed by the A model and thought that this was one of the rare cases where the B model was better. The "MOC 42039 to Buggy" posted yesterday by PaMe looks much better in my opinion.

Thank you Jim. Your review persuade me to buy this set and of course, the endless alternative models also made the difference between this and other sets.

Thank you Jim. Your review persuade me to buy this set and of course, the endless alternative models also made the difference between this and other sets.

A bit late with my reply, but no thanks! :wink:

Today I rebuilt my 42039, because I am needing it for a comparison with the Porsche. I was stupid enough to disassemble it not long ago :tongue:

Rebuilding made me realize how fantastic this set is. The build is enjoyable, the color scheme is unprecedented and the end result is stunning (I know opinions differ, but I love its looks).

Add some playability and countless great C-models, I can only conclude that this is absolutely one of my all time favorite models.

26566067913_20ce990724_c.jpg

26564570114_329a9e11c2_c.jpg

Cheers.

WOAH!....you are kidding me?....its bigger then 8070?????

Glad you like it.

Nice comparison picture. I know it's a big model, but your image definitely proves it's huge!! :sweet:

i had no idea it was that big!!!...i thought 8070 was huge so 42039 was be massive, i got two sets of this for the A and B model....i got a great deal for both on ebay, i paid 85 Euro each for them brand new :-)

I was stupid enough to disassemble it not long ago :tongue:

Rebuilding made me realize how fantastic this set is.

So, disassembling wasn't as stupid as you thought ;) After all, if you hadn't disassembled it, you wouldn't have rebuilt it :)

I also think it's a great set. I understand some of the critiques about the main model, but I don't share them. I like it. I like it much better than the B model, in fact.

And yes, bright green is great. I hope we will see more of the color in the future.

Toys R Us just had this set on sale last week for $103.99 which was a great price.. I wanted to pick one up and actually build it, but I waited too long and now it's back to it's regular price.. :sceptic:

So, disassembling wasn't as stupid as you thought ;) After all, if you hadn't disassembled it, you wouldn't have rebuilt it :)

I also think it's a great set. I understand some of the critiques about the main model, but I don't share them. I like it. I like it much better than the B model, in fact.

And yes, bright green is great. I hope we will see more of the color in the future.

That's true, but I could have used the time to do other things. Anyway; I will probably never disassemble it again.

Would be great to have some additional parts in bright green.

Toys R Us just had this set on sale last week for $103.99 which was a great price.. I wanted to pick one up and actually build it, but I waited too long and now it's back to it's regular price.. :sceptic:

Though noogies, would have been a great deal.

42056 is 3 inches or 7.5 cm longer than the 42039 from info I have gotten from lego store staff, but love my 24 la mans build its cool

I just finished building the B model yesterday. It was an interesting, satisfying and fun build, even some interesting techniques. The functions are not barn burners, but they are as interesting as the A model functions (sort of). Open doors (A model) fold-away headlights (B model). Engine compartment door(A model), opening rear tailgate (B model).

Just MHO, YMMV,

Andy D

Great review. I just picked up and agree. I rebuilt my 8448 as well in preperation for 42056. I forgot it has no HOG either.