The McLaren F1 was an iconic and unique supercar. 20 years on it still looks great and performs well against some of the more modern machines.

Suspension – Modelled on the McLaren F1 set up. Positive caster angle on the front steering linkage was added to help with the return to centre on the RC model. This was retained on the non powered version.

Steering – A relatively simple set up due to the central position of the steering wheel in the car.

Gearbox – I wanted to try to model the transverse gearbox set up on the McLaren but I also wanted the gear selector to be simple, accurate, and easy for a kid to use and understand. The end result is a transverse, high / low gear box. The gear selection is really crisp, and it works well so I am

really pleased with the compromise.

Engine – A big v12 that was difficult to fit in. The size of the engine led to some of the size compromises on the gearbox.

Butterfly Doors – The butterfly doors are partially pneumatically assisted in that it was not possible with the current design to generate enough

pneumatic power to lift the doors, but the pneumatics are able to hold the doors in raised positions

Front Bonnet – Manually opens

Rear engine bay cover – The door is held in open position by a passive pneumatic mini cylinder

Rear exhaust silencer cover - Manually opens.

Airbrake – This can be raised and lowered pneumatically.

Spoiler – Two mini pneumatic cylinders block the spoiler into a raised position but allow continued use of the airbrake.

Pneumatic pump – the pneumatic pump is disguised under the large engine air intakes. It is operated by manually turning a small handle that tucks back down when not in use. One pneumatic switch operates the airbrake – Up/Down. The other pneumatic switch operates the spoiler up function in one

position, and in the other position pressures up the pneumatic cylinders that assist the butterfly doors.

maclaren_f1_black_2.jpg

maclaren_f1_photo_1_lowres.jpg

maclaren_f1_photo_5_lowres.jpg

maclaren_f1_black_3.jpg

maclaren_f1_black_7.jpg

maclaren_f1_photo_3_lowres.jpg

maclaren_f1_photo_4_lowres.jpg

maclaren_f1_black_5.jpg

maclaren_f1_photo_6_lowres.jpg

maclaren_f1_black_8.jpg

Edited by Pvdb

This supercar rocks! The rear tires even don´t look out of scale! Want to see more of the powered version. Fantastic appearance, only the pics need a bit more contrast.

Edited by brunojj1

Very Very nice! Great job. Not too sure about the size difference between the front versus rear tires though. Is this something that exists in real life in real supercars? Seems like the rotational speed and subsequent inertia would throw the car's equalibrium off......

Cheers

The size difference between the front versus rear tires was based on the real thing.

Not too sure about the size difference between the front versus rear tires though. Is this something that exists in real life in real supercars? Seems like the rotational speed and subsequent inertia would throw the car's equalibrium off......

there are some supercars that run an inch or 2 larger rears but the McLaren F1 isn't one of those cars, the rear tires are far wider than the fronts bit diameter is the same. EDIT: *see below, where I prove myself incorrect* Edited by GallardoLU

there are some supercars that run an inch or 2 larger rears but the McLaren F1 isn't one of those cars, the rear tires are far wider than the fronts bit diameter is the same.

I disagree - see the image below

Maclarenf12.jpg

Cheers

The size difference between the front versus rear tires was based on the real thing.

there are some supercars that run an inch or 2 larger rears but the McLaren F1 isn't one of those cars, the rear tires are far wider than the fronts bit diameter is the same.

Interesting.....good information. Thanks.

I disagree - see the image below

*snip*

well I was sort of right (except I really wasn't) the fronts and rears are both 17" rims, and have a side wall of 45, but tire width changes side wall actual height. and with 235s front but 315s rear.... the side wall does increase in size, which translates into a 3 inch difference in rear tire OD over the front. learn something I already knew again :P

with the Tire debate settled, let me compliment you on a remarkably well built and stunning car. instantly recognizable as a McLaren F1. I would love to have a model that looks as good as this does!

This supercar rocks! The rear tires even don´t look out of scale!

I think the same, finally I can build a GT40 or a Enzo or a Countach, I thought the difference between wheels would be very bad but hardly noticeable, they are great news coming with a fantastic car, congratulations. What wheels are?.

Edited by jorgeopesi

Hi,

Great car!

Can you make sure the pictures are 800 wide? These are way too large.

Thanks

Wow! I really like what you did with the manual pneumatic pump. And the small assist cylinders. That's a clever idea. I don't recall another supercar with a v-12. Kudos on cramming that in there! What a work of art. Needs more hires photos of the int and all the functions. Video please.

Edited by Graydingo

Looking very good! Wonder how it would stand next to my own mclaren :laugh:

Are You for real?

It is amazing!!!!!!!!!!!! I think HOF!

Great work! Saw a Mclaren, a more recent model, at the weekend, never seen one in the flesh before. No idea what the model was but it was stunning. Thanks for sharing.

H :thumbup:

Very cool! All shapes designed right:) I remember when I saw this car first time in Need for speed II in the end of 90's.

I've been lucky enough to see this in the brick and trust me, as good as it looks in the pictures, in the brick, it's an awesome build with real presence.

Great McLaren F1, good to see another from the whole family, I'm very impressed on it pneumatic functions... :wub:

I'm making P1 and it still needs some improvements, but hope within few weeks I solve my problems :sceptic:

mclarenp1_v23bbatery.jpg