Hello fellow maties!

Today, I'd like to show you one of my newest creations; A Green Screen Test.

This test is just a test of course. What I'm going to do is to recreate a scene from Master And Commander, the Far Side of the World. Ships I already got, using a custom built french brig and the Imperial Flagship 6271 (From 1992). Now it's only the editing! A good friend of mine learned me how to green screen with Final Cut Pro.

So here is the little test, hope you enjoy and stay tuned for updates!

Tell me what you think!

Regards,

Captain Edward

Edited by Captain Edward

Hello,

I am impressed by your animation. I would love to see the scene complete.

I'm assuming by the looks of the test, and in my opinion how dull most of the rest of the movie is, you're doing the battle scene. I cannot wait to see the video, and I also saw some of your other lego videos, and they're pretty good.

Very cool! Looking forward to seeing more.

Edited by Capt Wolf

Nicely done, I hoep you keep this updated,

I've always wanted to do a ship battle scene myself but it's so much work and so much to think about pir_wacko.gif .

(allthough that may be because my ships are way too big for practically making a stop-motion pir_laugh2.gif ).

Wow, nice scene! Already looks like a lot of work. Looking forward to the final thing.

:thumbup:

Thanks! Really apreciate it you comment, it means a lot to me (I love your SotL's!! :pir-blush: )

Nicely done, I hoep you keep this updated,

I've always wanted to do a ship battle scene myself but it's so much work and so much to think about :pir_wacko: .

(allthough that may be because my ships are way too big for practically making a stop-motion :pir_laugh2: ).

I thought exactly the same, till I got it explained by someone and it turned out to be pretty easy (I'm still learning though).

The ship I used was a bid inspired by your "Zephyr", only made with the bigger sized hull (from 2010 pirate sets) BUT with old fashioned Lego Windows. Also this is the ship that plays the "Acheron", though it hasn't got 48 cannons :pir-tongue:

Check the "Acheron" and another Green Screen test HERE: https://www.flickr.c...157649011284124

And also keep in mind I'm busy recreating the battle scene BELOW DECKS, so with all the cannons and stuff. So Stay tuned for more!

-UPDATE-

Scenes are being completed, Gundeck and Cabin build, and green screen effects are running smoothly! Here's a little "Sneak Peak".

"ALL HANDS DOWN!"

-Regards, Captain Edward

-UPDATE-

1:30 done! Cheers!pirate_laugh_new.gif

To check on progress, simply keep an eye on:

I post some pictures of the Behind The Scenes and some sneak Peak photos!

Feedback always welcome, since this is going to be my first Green Screen Movie!

Also, since I've been busy fitting the animation into the audio of M&C, I completely know the words they say out of my head.. pirate_laugh2.gif

-Regards, Captain Edward

-UPDATE-

2:10 done, progress is going amazingly fast. Sometimes animation takes a lot of time, and can be a bid shaky, but overall it looks cool (I think pirate_tong.gif)

Got a little sneak peak for ya here:

16934112021_21f79ee7cb_o.png"Mister Boille.. Run up the colors!" by Captain Edward, on Flickr

Feedback and comments always welcome, I really appreciate it pirate_satisfied.gif

Regards, Captain Edward

Edited by Captain Edward

Hello Captain Edward,

thanks for your update. I am looking forward to the final product pirate_satisfied.gif

-UPDATE-

Hey there maties! I did the most difficult part of the battling between the Acheron and the HMS Surprise, so that is 2:18 minutes in total! Now a more difficult part is coming because I have to do the scene when the Surprise gets shot and water leaks into the ship. Anyone have an idea?

17039798406_69ce6c64c7_o.pngAcheron engages HMS Surprise by Captain Edward, on FlickrAcheron engages HMS Surprise by Captain Edward, on Flickr

16883533862_63462e4a37_o.pngLego; Master And Commander by Captain Edward, on Flickr

Regards, Captain Edward

Edited by Captain Edward

Build a separate "Ship interior" On a baseplate or something, and the water.... Well, somethinng blue. pirate_laugh2.gif I cant think any great ways to do the fludding part, especially when doing a brickfilm. Or eal water whit blue food colors?

Captain Becker

I would do what Captain Becker suggested, that being build the interior set that you would want to get shot. For water flooding in, I would use blue plasticine, but animate it in a way that looks and moves like real water, so it fits in with the rest of the animation.

Do you have in mind when this project will be complete? I too do brickfilms, and begun writing a short Pirate story that I'd like to animate or turn into a comic.

Build a separate "Ship interior" On a baseplate or something, and the water.... Well, somethinng blue. pirate_laugh2.gif I cant think any great ways to do the fludding part, especially when doing a brickfilm. Or eal water whit blue food colors?

Captain Becker

Yea, I already got interior sets (Separate gundeck, cabin, etc). I was thinking of plastic like in some videos on youtube but I guess it would be difficult.

I would do what Captain Becker suggested, that being build the interior set that you would want to get shot. For water flooding in, I would use blue plasticine, but animate it in a way that looks and moves like real water, so it fits in with the rest of the animation.

Do you have in mind when this project will be complete? I too do brickfilms, and begun writing a short Pirate story that I'd like to animate or turn into a comic.

Blue plasticine? Do you have any idea where to buy that? And is it some kinda clay or something else?

This project will be completed around begin/end may, depends on how busy I am. Half way done, the pictures on this page are real footage pirate_satisfied.gif

I bought multiple packets of 'Flair' plasticine online at amazon and ebay for my claymation projects, but if you only want shades of blue, I recommend the Newplast brand, where you can get specific colours, and in good quantity. Newplast has also been used in big Stop-Motion productions.

I advise you to stay away from playdough and kiln-blast clay, they don't work at all, as they dry up and harden.

I bought multiple packets of 'Flair' plasticine online at amazon and ebay for my claymation projects, but if you only want shades of blue, I recommend the Newplast brand, where you can get specific colours, and in good quantity. Newplast has also been used in big Stop-Motion productions.

I advise you to stay away from playdough and kiln-blast clay, they don't work at all, as they dry up and harden.

Many thanks! I will consider buying it. Also for some scenes it's handy for smooth moments like on land. Thanks!

Hi all, 

Sorry to bump into this old topic, but for those interested I uploaded the film two years ago to Youtube. I had forgotten about this thread and I am not sure if I had already shared the brickfilm here (I am very inactive on this forum, I'm sad to say; there are so many beautiful ships and creations posted here regularly!). I was cleaning up my youtube channel and thought I'd share it with you all. So here it is, for those that haven't seen it yet!
I was quite inexperienced when I made this, and I am not at all happy with how it's turned out, but for nostalgic reasons I decided to publish it anyway. Enjoy it for what it is; it was my first experience working with a green screen, and I thoroughly enjoyed the process. 

Kind regards and I hope you get to see me here more often!
- Jisk

On 5/1/2021 at 7:08 AM, Captain Edward said:

Sorry to bump into this old topic, but for those interested I uploaded the film two years ago to Youtube

Do you have any high resolution stills?  I.e. static images.

We could create a blog post if we had a suitable Featured Image.

23 hours ago, Mister Phes said:

Do you have any high resolution stills?  I.e. static images.

We could create a blog post if we had a suitable Featured Image.

Oh that would be a dream come true! When I joined this forum I had always dreamt of being featured on classic-pirates.com, probably my favorite website when I was about 10 :pir-tongue:

I have lost most of my photo's, I do have some but they are unedited. The closest that you could use would be this one, which you can download from flickr: 

Acheron engages HMS Surprise

Link: https://flic.kr/p/rXKqpG

One thing to keep in mind is that this was made 6 years ago, and as I'm nearing 21 it does not really reflect what I would probably have made in the present. But, it seems people do really enjoy it, so I'm very glad (I shared this on a Patrick O Brian appreciation page on Facebook, and it was very well received by all the fans that were thrice my age haha)

Should you have any questions, feel free to ask!

- Jisk