Maus

[MOD] AT-AT 75054

Awesomely mods Maus! So awesome I started copying them on my sons AT-AT. I've got the front and sides of the head copied exactly as yours, but I'm wondering how you connect the sides to main head structure? It seems to be a multi-angle connection which is always difficult in Lego. Any insight would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Funny you should ask that. I've modded the cockpit so much, it's basically a MOC - except for the way the panels attach. I thought that was ingenious, so I left it more or less as it was.

I wouldn't know how to start explaining how it's done, so instead I took some pictures. I hope they help!

viEOcV4.jpg

Bs6oyQB.jpg

(Hey! Bonus Hammerhead)

If you've got any questions, just go ahead and ask. And if you've got any improvements, I'd like to see those too!

If these pictures aren't big enough, try this imgur album.

Edited by Maus

I always see this topic popping back up to the top and I haven't commented on this yet. You really improved this model by using SNOT and filing in all the holes! It's just so smooth, I can't decide what I like most about it because it is all Great. Detail and All! I did similar Mods to mine as well, like widening the the front and back 2 studs, as well as adding interior and able to fit 3 people in the cockpit! The Visor/viewport is also Brilliant. I believe your head MOC has to be the most fantastic rendtion in system scale on the internet! It's such an odd shape, with even more odd proportions. Great Job!

Edited by Smitty500

i seldom post.. but when i do.. its usually cos my jaw just popped out..

this should be the best at-at for me yet..

i'm going to give it a shot on mine.. all credit to you for taking the at-at to a whole new level

thanks!

Looks really great!

I've only modded the feet on mine, you should take a look, I see you kept those sharp angles, while they can easily be made round & look better.

Thread here, I've kept the rightmost one. Since then, 2x2 slopes now exist in light grey & will probably look better.

http://www.eurobrick...howtopic=103399

What's the piece count btw? I wonder if Lego will ever produce one like that. Ironically, in their advertisement it looks all studless & smooth..

Edited by anothergol

Looks really great!

I've only modded the feet on mine, you should take a look, I see you kept those sharp angles, while they can easily be made round & look better.

Thread here, I've kept the rightmost one. Since then, 2x2 slopes now exist in light grey & will probably look better.

http://www.eurobrick...howtopic=103399

Nice! It's certainly more accurate shape-wise. I decided against doing it that way because of the holes you get on the side the foot. I prefer them more massive-looking. But that's just a personal preference. If the shape is what's important, your way is certainly the way to go.

What's the piece count btw? I wonder if Lego will ever produce one like that. Ironically, in their advertisement it looks all studless & smooth..

I would guess I added at least 50% to the brick count. All those tiles add up fast.

Nice! It's certainly more accurate shape-wise. I decided against doing it that way because of the holes you get on the side the foot.

yes it leaves holes, but you can also more simply change the straight angles for round plates, & leave the bottom as is. I don't understand why Lego went for angled corners like that.

(well yes I understand, it's because round plates have a pin hole in the middle, not an axle hole, so they went for whatever allowed them to use a 2x2 with technic hole inside. But it's because they had to made it kid-proof, while using plates still leaves room for enough consolidation for an adult)

Edited by anothergol

Looks much better now! Especiall y the cockpit interior. One of the things I didn't like with the recent lego at-at release was the inclusion of only 1 seat in the head for the driver. Most impressive modification!

Hi Maus!

Hopefully you are still checking out the forum here. Like I said I've been modding my son's AT-AT to make it look like yours. The head is pretty much done and it looks so much better thanks to your help, but I can't figure out how the roof flattens out for the last two stud lengths.

Also, how did you attach the bottom "trapezoid" shaped areas to the two main side panels at such a clean angle with no gaps???

Thanks again for any insight you can provide!

Don't worry, I'm still here.

I'm not sure what you mean by how the roof flattens out for the last two stud lengths, but I uploaded some images to this album. I hope they answer your question.

You'll also find a couple of pictures of the bottom trapezoid there. The way I attached them won't win any prizes, but it does look ok on the outside - if slightly messy on the inside. They're simply attached with two 2x1 plates with clips and bars. The trick is to off-set the connection by a couple of plates. I hope the pictures will make that clearer.

Btw, I ran out of light bley parts at some point, so I had to use black ones in stead. They're a bit hard to see on my pictures. Sorry for that!

Could you post some pictures of your son's AT-AT when you finish?

Thanks! I'll post some pictures of the work in progress very soon!

Those pictures you added are perfect. Thanks again!

Okay, finally done! Here are some pictures of my version of the 75054 MOD. Many thanks to Maus for the inspiration and detailed pictures to make this possible. I couldn't be more satisfied. Why TLG doesn't produce a more detailed version like these is beyond me, but I'm glad there are plenty of Lego enthusiasts to make this happen (and plenty of light bley parts on Bricklink).

19572256700_331e389c37_c.jpg75054 MOD by Shawn Minkey, on Flickr

Check out the rest of the pictures at the new topic.

http://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=112140

Edited by mink66

Looks good!

I was trying to find what you've changed compared to mine. Apart from the interiors, I can't actually find that many. I see you've changed the feet and your underside might actually be better than mine. Any chance of a picture of that? Or has that bit been disassembled already?

Hey Maus!

Underside is still assembled. There are a few more underside pictures if you check out my Flickr account. If those aren't detailed enough let me know and I'll try to add some additional ones.

I absolutely love this MOD, I posted the same praise on Mink66's thread but I figured I should post the same on your thread too maus. I really want to do this to my 75054 but since I'm a noob when it comes to Lego and there isn't a detailed breakdown of the extra tiles and pieces you guys added and changed I'm having a hard time figuring out where to start and what pieces to order... Since I'm new and not familiar with every piece it's hard for me to tell what exactly I need from only your guys' pics... Thanks for any help you decide to give, it's much appreciated.

Btw, after seeing your MODs I can't even stand to look at my AT-AT... It just looks so wrong now :(