Xand0r

Adding Muzzle Flashes to Photos

I stumbled upon a great photoshop tutorial for adding muzzle flares to guns.

Has anyone tried inserting their lego work into space scenes and adding effects like this to make the pictures more dynamic?

I need to give this a try!

Interesting video. Thanks for the link. So far I've tried to do all my effects in camera. For me photoshop feels a bit like cheating when it comes to Lego MOCs. I mean - why build anything if you're going to add CG elements to the photo? May aswell just do the whole thing on the computer. But muzzle flashes do present a problem for practical effects.

Interesting video. Thanks for the link. So far I've tried to do all my effects in camera. For me photoshop feels a bit like cheating when it comes to Lego MOCs. I mean - why build anything if you're going to add CG elements to the photo? May aswell just do the whole thing on the computer. But muzzle flashes do present a problem for practical effects.

Your photography is certainly stunning, so I can see why you'd hesitate! I think it appeals to me, especially for Lego Space MOCs, because you often want to put the craft in space or some other environment that might contain planets or other impractical-to-build objects. Muzzle flashes are useful in simulating that "if-these-were-real" feeling. I haven't watched many Lego TV Shows, but I have to think they use non-brick effects for things of this kind, no? I don't think it entirely undermines the use of bricks if it's only a slight enhancement. Though I take your point!

>> Adobe AfterEffects :wink:

:) Samples?

:) Samples?

>> ...searching Google? :grin: Sorry but personaly having none of such samples...

Interesting tutorial. Can it be used for light sabers and engine glow?

I agree it is much better when you can get it right out of camera versus fixing it in post processing. If you're pressed for time like doing a photo a day and practically a MOC a day project, then it is time you can use to plan your next day's shoot and build. There are some effects where it might be easier on the computer. I guess the key is to use the most efficient tool for your situation and skill level.

Missing Brick is right. Think about what you are trying to produce, and why.

I could build an entire lego scene in a 3D modelling application such as 3Ds Max, texture it, light it and produce a rendered image that to the untrained eye would look as close to "real life" as you can get.

But I don't.

I don't because the most important thing about Lego to me is the physical brick. That's the base object. The core of the medium. The skills I'm interested in seeing are how someone builds with those bricks. Not a demonstration of their digital skills. That is a whole other ball game.

Well, as I said in the Adobe AfterEeffects you have predefined objects you can use in you projects, and there are also flashes from guns, bombs etc., so although the SW if primarily for video effects editing, you can still make a single FRAME SHOT PICTURE EXPORT to, let's say, a .png file, therefore having not photorealistic but RATHER REAL gun shots and stuff like that. :thumbup:

So my suggestion is this: go to Adobe website, download the trial version and give it a try... :wink: