Sign in to follow this  
Breakdown

Proof of 7745 Concept . . . .

I've always loved my 7745, especially the fact that they printed a custom 4 X 3 panel to transition the colours on the train from red to black, and it follows the slope of the front of the train.

One of the things that's always hurt my brain is that the doors on the middle car don't have a black top (too much to ask for tri-coloured printed doors).

I'm sure that someone out there has managed to repaint their doors. If not, I'm not going to be the first. I'll mod parts that are already screwed up or extremely common.

So here's the concept, carry the white through from front to back of the train. Eliminate the black in the middle of the cars. All black windows become red. White continues across the front of the train.

I was thinking about it earlier, but now I'm convinced the top plate on the train has to be black and not red (top before the roof pieces). To compensate for the lack of black in the middle height of the train I'm running tints all of the way across. They make tinted windows for the doors and the 2 X 3 windows, but not the 4 X 3 windows. One thing that I'm trying to explore is acquiring a bunch of the plain (non-train) tinted 4 X 3 windows and either score them lightly with an exacto knife or use a circular saw to mimic the open window look

Thoughts??? I couldn't be the only person with thoughts of this racing through my head. I can't stand the look for the front, the white slopes will need some kind of decal on them. I've put some tinted glass behind the windows on the sides to give the appearance (a little) of the tints on the sides. Just looking for some feedback on this one, bad feedback is more than welcome (those aren't fighting words, just rather that people be honest.

7745Mods1.jpg

7745Mods2.jpg

7745Mods3.jpg

Given that 7745 was the '80's interpretation of a TGV set, another solution might be to get some black stickering to overlay the red on the top part of the door. Or even easier, source black doors, then add the red/white bottom stripe.

I kind of see where you're coming from, but I think it looks better with the black windows! It doesn't have as much personality with reds.

The middle car looks much better in my opinion with the red, I'm not completely sold on the wedge-shaped ones. Does anyone have a pic of the TGV train that this one is designed after, I cannot find it.

I do like the idea of stickering black doors. If I do acquire a second 7745, my intentions are to change the one over to the "new design." To distinguish the two.

The middle car looks much better in my opinion with the red, I'm not completely sold on the wedge-shaped ones. Does anyone have a pic of the TGV train that this one is designed after, I cannot find it.

I do like the idea of stickering black doors. If I do acquire a second 7745, my intentions are to change the one over to the "new design." To distinguish the two.

10233.jpg

Ok. Maybe this one. The prototype was never in red back then but LEGO didn't have orange back then either (if I recall).

2-orange-tgv.jpg

think it looks better with the black windows! It doesn't have as much personality with reds.35.gif

Edited by dengtuao

Ouch!! That thing doesn't look remotely like the 7745 set. That pretty much removes my concerns about unauthenticating my train. I'm having some friends review who simply aren't familiar with how a 7745 train "should look."

It would be a costly project as I'd need to acquire a good handful more red windows to complete it.