BHs

[MOC] Death Star trench run - "Look at the size of that thing"

"We count 30 rebel ships, Lord Vader, but they're so small they're evading our turbolasers."

"- Biggs, Wedge, let's close it up. We're going in full throttle. That ought to keep those fighters off our back.

- Right with you boss."

16159113603_d86c642627_z.jpg16156487954_eed6192783_z.jpg

The theme of the Death Star attack has been banged on about by AFOLs. Fortunately, this does not mean, that the subject is exhausted.

It took a bit different approach than the usual <middle of the trench – accelerating Luke’s X-Wing – T/F vee in hot pursuit> and to give the scene a bit more dramaturgy.

For that reason, the DS’s equator does not run at the right angle through the MOC, and we have a small anti-aircraft (anti-starship) artillery barrage.

16592650169_b0df6ba6e9.jpg16777666591_eae232dedb.jpg

16778807155_4def5b7c70.jpg16777708202_572c23c773.jpg

The MOC is placed on a standard 48x48 board and consists of four main modules:

1. The base with decorative boarder;
  2. The trench itself with the walls;
  3. Two loosely put on DS surface panels.

Plus additional X-Wing fighters of course :).

16778805725_3eb28cbd7e.jpg

What I really wanted in this microscale MOC, was a good representation of the X-Wings. That is why they have their characteristic feature of folded (and movable) wings. The drawback is a slight asymmetrically placed left and right pairs of wings and engines. Also, I am not entirely pleased with the fuselage in front of the fairings. But at least all have R2 units…

Also the scale of the DS denoted that the Rebellion fighters were too big for the trench itself. That is why, with their measurements of 9 studs width and 6 length, they had to be left on the battle station’s surface.

16571525747_90ab77d2f7_n.jpg16592647489_756c67ddc4_n.jpg

To make the scene complete, six rotary turbolasers are placed, “some on the towers, some on the surface”, which try in vain to stop the attackers.

16592647969_bc1813e2b6_n.jpg16778804415_fd6fefa268_n.jpg

And a small comparison of the adversaries:

16571526177_09eec1acdb_n.jpg

As I always lack the trans-clear elements, especially the bars (which also usually fell down on my Bricklink buy lists…), I had to devise a different solution to the issue of placing flying objects. It came in the form of optic fibers.

Thanks to their flexibility, i was able to place them in possibly invisible way on the maquette (part of the element is folded and hidden in base elements) and, having only three pieces, by folding one into ”U”, place all in all four flying objects. Unfortunately, this advantage proved also to be a vice – too long segment meant weak stabilization power and “floating” of the raised item. And stiffening with super glue was out of the question.

16777663561_697162939d_n.jpg

Entire gallery on Flickr.

May the micro-Force be with you!

This is fantastic! All of the aspects come together to make a fantastic model. The diagonal of the tench makes it look so much better than if it was straight. The X-Wings look really nice, as do the turrets. It might've looked better if the trench was wider, so the X-Wings could fit inside, but none the less it's still a fantastic MOC! I'd love to see more micro scales scenes like this.

A really brilliant build. The non-standard 90 degree angle is a very cool feature. Love the action feeling from the whole thing and the shots from the turbolasers, even down to them being different based on their timing within the scene. Excellent representation of the death star too. I'd say this goes beyond a MOC and treads into art territory.

Good work. It is nice to see a take on a different angle of the trench. Yup, there has been a few trench MOCs. Someone even dug up a 2012 trench MOC thread the other day.

I have to be another one talking about the trench angle: just brilliant! The angle gives the MOC great perspective.

I think your use of tiles for the greebling is fantastic. You really capture the Death Star surface.

Very nice, I really like the R2 heads on the X-wings and the realism level on the trench surface. It would be better if it were a bit wider, but it's a beautiful MOC nonetheless.

Thanks all!!!

I have added some more rapid and hectic laser fire. Next step would be adding some TIEs in hot pursuit.

16349833643_079e05d974.jpg

16968597842_11b5fa6f7c.jpg

Wow, this is a great build. Specifically like the lasers all over the place, but dont overdo it. Might be a bit too much now. Fly in these TIES!