Hive

Battle of The Bountys

Battle of The Bountys  

145 members have voted

1. 1. Which ship is the better Bounty?

• Brickbeard's Bounty (2009)
    • The Brick Bounty (2015)
    • Draw

It's a draw for me! Each has good and bad points. I prefer the colors and more big windows on BBB and I think it just looks better overall, but TBB has better hull parts for MOCing, plus better rigging and anchor. As official sets neither is really all that good in my eyes truth be told. I can't pick a winner because I don't think either one is a winner.

Funny how at first the new ship was absolutely winning this poll, and now it's virtually a draw (when I'm writing this, the BB is winning by 1 vote, but yesterday it was losing by 1 vote so yes, almost a draw). :classic:

...aaand now, almost a year later, the older ship is winning. I'm not surprised really, now that the feeling of novelty surrounding the new ship has faded.

Edited by Dreamweb

So based off of this thread I purchased Brickbeards Bounty today. I don't have either ship, and was looking to get one of them. I will probably end up getting both before too long, but could only start with one so far. I decided on BBB first because, A. Its an older set that I found a good deal on. B. I think the ship is more elegant looking, especially in the back. And C. The shark, that thing is cool looking.

I really went back and fourth between which one to get now, but TBB will still be pretty available in a couple of months when I decide to get that one. But beyond that, only 3 things looked better about TBB to me. 1. Blue coats, I like them better than red coats. 2. The crows nest. 3. Higher piece count. But reading through the comments in this thread helped me pick BBB first.

Edited by Captain Pirate Man

I think you made the right choice. The Brickbeard's Bounty is better of the two, the only thing it's really missing is an anchor. And like you mentioned yourself, if you decide to get the Brick Bounty in a few months it will be much easier to buy it for a reasonable price compared to the older ship.

I think you made the right choice. The Brickbeard's Bounty is better of the two, the only thing it's really missing is an anchor. And like you mentioned yourself, if you decide to get the Brick Bounty in a few months it will be much easier to buy it for a reasonable price compared to the older ship.

I feel good about my decision. I should have BBB by the end of the week. I've pretty much decided to reconfigure both ships to become either a blue coat or red coat vessel. I will wait until after I have TBB to decide which faction gets which ship. But given the dark red pieces on BBB, I am leaning towards making it a Red Coat ship, because I wouldn't have to modify it a ton. Even though, I do prefer the blue coats, they may end up getting the lesser of the two ships because I don't mind replacing the generic red on TBB at all.

I really have to start writing down how long each ship I buy stays in one piece before I reduce it to bricks again. A stay-on-the-shelf index which tells a lot about the ship's quality. Judging by that, I remember that my Brickbeard's Bounty had a much longer life compared to the Brick Bounty, which was taken apart pretty quickly. And BTW my Black Seas Barracuda is still intact which I guess is telling something. So is the 10210 Imperial Flagship, but that one will have to be sacrificed eventually for MOCing purposes, or at least MODded heavily.

Brickbeard's Bounty.

I got My wife got the set for $125. :pir-wub:

I think Brickbeard's Bounty is more complete than the Brick Bounty. Some great bonuses include monkey and shark that can eat a red coat. :thumbup:

After FINALLY owning BOTH ships, I can definitively say what I like and dislike about each ship. Neither one is great, both are good, both have flaws. But having said that, I do give the edge to The Brick Bounty. Why? Because of the sails, the crows nest, the plank, the anchor, the hidden treasure compartment, and blue coats.

Yes TBB is smaller of the two in length. I was surprised it didn't have a rear hull section, I thought it was missing it. I had to check the instructions to double check. Only pirate ship (to my knowledge) to be assembled like this.

Things I like better about BBB are the dark red color, the removable cabin section (they all should have this feature imo), the overall design of the rear of the ship (i really like the crossed swords), and of course the shark.

In the end, the reason why I put TBB a head of BBB is because BBB has some serious flaws. The rigging on it is terrible. It is better than TBB in some areas, but the areas it is inferior to it really stand out. TBB is just more solid imo, nothing bad I can say about it. Plus the plank and the hidden treasure compartment are neat additions. Plus with the far superior rigging, and crows nest really swing the pendulum in favor of this ship imo. Even the awesome shark from BBB can't compensate for these improvements.

In the end, I'm glad I have both ships. But I did decide to turn BBB into a red coat ship. I think it looks good as one, I put sails from the 2010 Imperial flagship on it, and "borrowed" the anchor design from TBB. I am leaving TBB as a pirate ship, the plank and treasure compartment make it the wiser choice imo.

Edited by Captain Pirate Man

Your words discriping exactly what I think. Thank you very much for your detailed Report.

In my opinion Brickbeard's Bounty is the better version, even if I prefer some details of the other ship (in particular the position of the figurehead and the windows of the capitain's cabin)

If you had ask me before I got my Brick Bounty I would always go for Brickbeards Bounty. What changed my mind is that the Brick Bounty looks way better in real life than On pictures. 

Both Ships was Red Coat Ships for my fleet from the first build up. The BBB was my second red coat ship after 20 years, teaming up with my 1992 Imperial Flagship that was the lonely red coat ship in that time.

It looks really great with the Sails of the BSB and the same flag like the newer red coats. The cabin designs of all latest three lego ships a quite similar. So it made sense for me after getting the big Imperial Flagship to get the Brick Bounty and made it my fourth red coat ship. 

And boom! It looks that great as a red coat ship that I changed my mind. It becomes one of my all time favourites. The big Flagship is still the best as I didn't make any changes than adding soldiers.

So my vote goes for BB as I really enjoy how the details and colours add up, the Sails looks really good.

1265a2-1539450265.jpg

18c5f3-1539450338.jpg

Made some new pictures of it.

I like it more and more by playing with my son. My favourite is still the big Imperial Flagship, but this one is a cute, nice vessel to play and display.

In the beginning I was very sceptical of missing a rear hull part, same like the Black Pearl is build. But when I build it and look at it, it when looks more realistic than the others from the back.

54bde8-1540050700.jpg

f898e9-1540050753.jpg

9d5bc1-1540050806.jpg

8eed49-1540050843.jpg

I thnink the second release was better. The minifigs are better looking and the ship feels like it has more room on it and inside captain's cabin.

Old topic, but honestly, in the battle of the bountys I think the Destiny’s Bounty 70618 wins hands down.