Hive

Battle of The Bountys

Battle of The Bountys  

145 members have voted

1. 1. Which ship is the better Bounty?

• Brickbeard's Bounty (2009)
    • The Brick Bounty (2015)
    • Draw

I prefer the BBB. The Capitan's cabin with orgin is really awesome. Both sets need easy mods though.

On BBB I added a crow's nest and fixed the rigging (similar to IFS).

Were I to buy BB the minimum fix would be cannons/hatches, and add a cabin door. Taking into account the easy mods for both, it boils down to a nicer bow on the BB vs. the awesome cabin on BBB. I really wish the ships had fewer design similarities overall.

I don't understand why BB is wining over BBB. I have voted the 2009 ship.

Reasons:

BB cannons haven't moving system!!! BBB cannons have wheels at least! ->1 point to BBB

BBB have 2 doors in the sterncastle. BB have only one door and a hollow ->1 point to BBB

BBB have better sterncastle with that crossed blades as an ornament ->1 point to BBB

BB has crow's nest and BBB not -> 1 point to BB

BBB 3

BB 1

Never seen so many 'B' in a single comment pirate_laugh2.gif

This clearly qualifies for at least a 'B+'

thumbup.gif

I don't understand why BB is wining over BBB. I have voted the 2009 ship.

Reasons:

BB cannons haven't moving system!!! BBB cannons have wheels at least! ->1 point to BBB

BBB have 2 doors in the sterncastle. BB have only one door and a hollow ->1 point to BBB

BBB have better sterncastle with that crossed blades as an ornament ->1 point to BBB

BB has crow's nest and BBB not -> 1 point to BB

BBB 3

BB 1

To be fair, yeah I didn't see that half open sterncastle. That's terrible. It kind of ruins the design. As for the cannons, yeah, indeed, they are terrible. The question is, does, are those flaws enough, to make it worse than the BBBs shittyness at it's rigging? IMO no, but they are equally bad. They both have unforgivable flaws. Both ships have flaws ruining them. So after watching more reviews, I got to revoke my vote. IMO it's a draw.

Edited by josykay

I prefer the first one. Brickbeards bounty. It's less colorful (what I like) and the mermaid at the front is way cooler than the sceleton. :)

The thing I like about the new Bounty is Lego tried to differentiate the stern from the bow of the ship hull even if it's a bit clunky looking, although this is because when they dropped separate stern and bows the bow looked and worked fine but the stern was generally hard to blend into the upper areas of the ship. The old Bounty has this badly blended stern in spades where the new one at least looks somewhat continuous (homogeneous?) from base to top at the stern. Even the stern of the mighty Imperial Flagship looks off as compared to any of the classic sterns :/

Chris

Edited by clm

As someone who only recently got back into Lego, but doesn't yet own a single pirate ship (gasp! the horror! and other assorted exclamations) it is a bit reassuring to see that there doesn't seem to be much in it between the current ship and that from 6 years past, especially given how strong a nostalgia effect can be. True, Pirates 2009 may not be regarded as the halcyon days of the theme, but it's reassurring nevertheless for when I pick TBB up.

I had originally votes for the Brick Bounty, but had a thought that shifted my vote back to the BBB. The Brick Bounty is just too similar to the BBB. Why not give it black and white sails, or a more different colour scheme, or anything to make it more visually distinctive?

Indeed. I would love to see Lego designing a completely new vessel. What about a true shooner? Or a brigatine? The usual two masted BSB copy gets pretty boring, especially since none of them can compete against the original. I've got nothing against two masted vessels. But thanks to the colors they end op looking so similar.

Hell at least a new color sheme would be great. The red/white striped sails got so boring...

Indeed. I would love to see Lego designing a completely new vessel. What about a true shooner? Or a brigatine? The usual two masted BSB copy gets pretty boring, especially since none of them can compete against the original. I've got nothing against two masted vessels. But thanks to the colors they end op looking so similar.

I'd actually like to see modern versions of the BSB and SES.

Hell at least a new color sheme would be great. The red/white striped sails got so boring...

Most of all this, yeah. It just seems so damn lazy and unnecesary to have the sails be almost exactly the same as last time. And why can't they give us "neutral" sails just with stripes and no skulls on them? There are seperate pirate flags on the ships anyway and they're filled with pirate crews, so it's not as if the children will be confused in any way.

The ships back in the days weren't always great; plenty of them were far worse in design than The Brick Bounty. But they were different both in shape, design and, most importantly, colours. Give us that back!

That is very true. While the Red Beard Runner is not a satisfying pirate ship to me, you can at least see they were trying to make it as different as possible from both BSB and SES. The result wasn't great, but at least they made a noticeable effort.

I prefer TBB, but not by much. As you've been saying, the design is better, mostly because of the childish style of BBB. I would add that BBB seems a little "naked". I mean, it's the platform and few accessories and details added.

Said this, I must say that both ships are nice.

Funny how at first the new ship was absolutely winning this poll, and now it's virtually a draw (when I'm writing this, the BB is winning by 1 vote, but yesterday it was losing by 1 vote so yes, almost a draw). :classic:

Funny how at first the new ship was absolutely winning this poll, and now it's virtually a draw (when I'm writing this, the BB is winning by 1 vote, but yesterday it was losing by 1 vote so yes, almost a draw). :classic:

Honestly, I think that's because more people have now bought and build the new set and thus realized that it isn't as special as they perceived in the pictures. The initial excitement of getting something new has simply worn of.

Honestly, I think that's because more people have now bought and build the new set and thus realized that it isn't as special as they perceived in the pictures. The initial excitement of getting something new has simply worn of.

I really hope that's not the case, TBB arriving from S@H today, and as my first pirate ship (well, excluding the LOTR one) I'm really looking forward to building it. The proof will be in the proverbial pudding I suppose.

I'd actually like to see modern versions of the BSB and SES.

I would too, although "modernizing" it would probably mean halving the cannons, removing the deck and adding a cartoony skull and crossbones to the masts. :(

I really hope that's not the case, TBB arriving from S@H today, and as my first pirate ship (well, excluding the LOTR one) I'm really looking forward to building it. The proof will be in the proverbial pudding I suppose.

If it's your first ever pirate ship, I think you'll enjoy it either way. My first ever ship was Brickbeard's Bounty, and although it's not the best ship I own nor close to the best LEGO set I own, it was one of my very best experiences to build it. There's just something magical about building the ships, and when it's your first one... that's something special. pirate_satisfied.gif

I built the BSB shortly after building TBB and wow... what a difference it is! Having a deck on the ship really is something special. And all the hatches and cannons. The cabin's interior is better in TBB though. I have ordered the sails and the last big flag for BSB so I'm looking forward to seeing it complete. Four cannons, two big flags, two small flags, eight minifigs... they spared no expenses. My vote in this thread still remains for TBB over BBB because I don't own BBB. But even if I did I might not have voted differently. I like the colours and big flag on TBB more than those of BBB, and for me the minifigs are more important. Actually it might be a tie in the end. Both have some really good sides and some very negative ones.

I bought TBB two years ago. And despite the flaws, the more I see it, the more I like it.

Tomorrow I will post on this thread how I fixed some of the design errors.

I bought TBB two years ago.

I have somewhat of a hard time believing that... pirate_look.gif

I have somewhat of a hard time believing that... pirate_look.gif

Here's the secret:

lego-delorean-jul13-m.jpg

I meant days, obviously hahaha!

Edited by Captain Fortune

A 'draw' option has been added since I last looked at the poll, so that's where my vote has gone.

I'm still waiting for the BB to turn up at my work so I can get a staff discount. It's very hard to wait since I can pick it up elsewhere, but I'm on a budget and it's expensive. I build the BBB in preparation to have the ships side by side, and knowing how the BB is built, the cabin already looks oddly high when it didn't used to.

Does anyone have a picture of the two ships next to each other from the view of the side? I can't seem to find any images like that on Google images.

Edited by David Thomsen

The Brick Bounty. The crows nest and anchor are great plus the bluecoats and the return of Redbeard. The only thing that BB done better than TBB are cannon bays. TBB is better than BB,but BSB is the best. I miss classic pirates(

While TBB certainly has its weaknesses, I think stuff like the anchor and crows nest balance out the sad cannons. I agree with other posters that the stern is superior to BBB also.