Sign in to follow this  
Breakdown

Requirements for a 12V functional signal?

Good morning,

Quick question . . . and I have looked through the forum for answers and come up empty handed thus far, there's lots of DIY stuff, but I'm working on a theory and I've found the parts that I think that I need on bricklink.

I have a working theory and just want confirmation.

If I have . . . . .the two rails with the missing triangle, a regular remote control like 7863 would I be able to control trains stop & go or no. I've never had a 7860 set, and I still mean to get one. But does the remote work the same way as others do?? Then you add the whole red light/green light thing and that only gives you the visual in terms of if the train can go or not?

If I had one of these sets I'd just do all of this experimenting on my own.

While I'm asking stupid questions. The 7864 set (the actual Transformer), if you assemble the whole technic top assembly and remove the dial, does that thing actually stay together well or does it disintegrate the second that you try to use it??

Third question. If you disassemble a PF cord at one end and plug it into a 12V track while it's already plugged into the 12V transformer and then bridge the positive and negative sides of the track, is it possible to create a time portal that will take me back to 1985??

Thanks in advance.

Good morning,

Quick question . . . and I have looked through the forum for answers and come up empty handed thus far, there's lots of DIY stuff, but I'm working on a theory and I've found the parts that I think that I need on bricklink.

I have a working theory and just want confirmation.

If I have . . . . .the two rails with the missing triangle, a regular remote control like 7863 would I be able to control trains stop & go or no.

No, the 7863 remote works in a different way.

I've never had a 7860 set, and I still mean to get one. But does the remote work the same way as others do??

No, one ouput is for the signal and reverses the polarity to change the signal from red to green. The other output is a switch which turns the isolated rails on/off.

Then you add the whole red light/green light thing and that only gives you the visual in terms of if the train can go or not?

The switch also turns off the power supply to the rails, so that when the train gets there it stops. Press the green button, the light changes to green, the tracks are switched on and the train starts.

If I had one of these sets I'd just do all of this experimenting on my own.

While I'm asking stupid questions. The 7864 set (the actual Transformer), if you assemble the whole technic top assembly and remove the dial, does that thing actually stay together well or does it disintegrate the second that you try to use it??

I have built it and it seems to stay together fairly well, although as with any lego if you are a bit heavy handed it can fall apart!

Third question. If you disassemble a PF cord at one end and plug it into a 12V track while it's already plugged into the 12V transformer and then bridge the positive and negative sides of the track, is it possible to create a time portal that will take me back to 1985??

Yes but you will need set 21103 to complete the circuit.

Thanks in advance.