mufc

Update issue: Only red in palette - Colouring in LDD

Why has the the colouiring function been cancelled in LDD extended?

Edited by Superkalle
Updated topic title

Why has the the colouiring function been cancelled in LDD extended?

No it wasnt...its there in the color tool.

I'm not sure, but there seems to be a bug in the version that was available for auto update for a short time today.

Edited by sheo

My LDD is affected by this as well. I only hope it gets fixed promptly... and perhaps that it indicates that an actual update is coming soon.

The problem is that the color palette is gone.

Edited by sheo

Same here. And, just checking to see if there's any temporary workaround, the filter on the brick palette in extended mode has the same issue. The only way to change colors to anything other than red is to switch to LDD classic mode (or, for a much more limited selection, Mindstorms), at least until this error is fixed.

Edited by Lyichir

me too. is this really a bug? how long will it last, i wonder?

Hello! I just wanted to share some workarounds I discovered for creating in Extended Mode while we wait for this bug to be fixed. The easiest solution (though a bit tedious in action) is to copy a selection of colored bricks from Classic Mode to Extended Mode; once there, you can use the eyedropper tool to select colors from the parts you've pasted in.

The other workaround requires you to have a backup of your Lego Company folder. On the Mac, this folder is located in Users>YourAccount>Library>Application Support>Lego Company, and to get to it, you'll need to hold down Option and choose Go>Library. Inside you'll see a folder called Lego Digital Designer, and within it, another folder called Palettes.

On launch, LDD checks in with the parent server for updates, and unfortunately today it's automatically deleting all palette files but one, leading to the issue in LDD Extended.

If you have a backup of the Palette folder containing ALL the palette files, you can simply replace the new Palette folder with the old one. However, you'll need to disable Internet before you launch the app. LDD will protest that it cannot connect to the Internet, and ask you if you want to launch anyways. Say yes, and you'll have all the palettes back. You should now be able to flip back on your Internet connection — but keep in mind that you'll need to toggle your Internet off each time you launch the app (well, until it is fixed), otherwise all the palettes will disappear again.

Unfortunately, I am not a PC user and cannot tell you where to find the Palettes folder within Windows — but maybe someone else here can help out with that?

Anyway, hope this has been helpful!

Same here. :hmpf_bad: I only have red color in the palette in extended mode. Does TLG know about this very annoying problem? When will they fix it (ok, stupid question, but it's urgent)?

Edit: I found the palette directory in windows7:

Computer/C/Users/Username/AppData/Roaming/LEGO Company/LEGO Digital Designer/Palettes

I only have there "LDD-10.lif" - 1,48 MB.

Edited by Mbmc

Same here. :hmpf_bad: I only have red color in the palette in extended mode. Does TLG know about this very annoying problem? When will they fix it (ok, stupid question, but it's urgent)?

Edit: I found the palette directory in windows7:

Computer/C/Users/Username/AppData/Roaming/LEGO Company/LEGO Digital Designer/Palettes

I only have there "LDD-10.lif" - 1,48 MB.

Yeah, that's the only one it leaves after launch. My backup shows 13 items, including LDDExtended-5.lif, which is a total of 4Kb.

Is there a switch for preferences.ini to force offline mode all the time? (And slightly off-topic, is there a list anywhere of all of the known options for preferences.ini?)

Happened to me aswell. Hope this gets fixed soon, it's really annoying. I'm working on a huge project, so I can still color bricks using the eyedropper tool, but still this is bad.

This is why backing up your drives is a cool thing to do. Superkalle! Would there be any problem with me uploading the contents of the palettes folder for these fine folk?

Also, there are two ways to force LDD to work offline and stop whatever caused this from re-occuring (for now):

• Block LDD in your firewall, or
  • Add the line initialiseDesignerURL= to your preferences.ini (yes, that option IS "blank", and it forces LDD to use a non-existent update URL)

Of course you WILL need to revert either of these steps in future, if you ever want any sort of updates again :B

Edited by Gnac

An uploaded backup would be nice, thanks in advance, who knows how long will be this problem actual.

I have no problems, was there an update?

Have you worked in offline mode? If not, it's interesting, because if it's a general problem, should appear by all. (but it's good to hear your LDD is ok :classic: )

Thanks for all the suggestions, i think there must be an issue with the lego servers as there hasn't been an update to cause this. To force it into offline mode you can run in safe mode, i can't remember how to find this on win7 (why did they remove the start button)

Also, there are two ways to force LDD to work offline and stop whatever caused this from re-occuring (for now):

• Block LDD in your firewall, or
  • Add the line initialiseDesignerURL= to your preferences.ini (yes, that option IS "blank", and it forces LDD to use a non-existent update URL)

I have the same problem on my Mac: the LDD Extended Mode palette has gone missing.

I edited the preferences.ini file as described above and copied an old version of the Palettes folder from my Time Machine drive.

Now it is working again.

Thanks for the workarounds and this thread in general. I was freaking out as to why I was the only one seeing this problem until I found this.

I second the request for a comprehensive list of .ini parameters.

While we are on the extended palette issue, high on my list of annoying things in LDD is the fact that LDD does not remember the last color selected on the palette. Every time I start the program or switch themes to extended I see red. It really should remember the last one you picked.

Also, I have to hit ALT-1 to get rid of those annoying arrows every single time I start the program. That could so easily be a preference, right?

Well, enough ranting for now.

As of today at 5pm Central Time (US) I lost my entire color palette except for Bright Red. I can't access any other color on either the color selection tool or in the menus on the left. I can still sample colors on existing models, and have normal access in Normal and Mindstorms mode. Has anyone else had this issue? I'm running 4.3.8.

As of today at 5pm Central Time (US) I lost my entire color palette except for Bright Red. I can't access any other color on either the color selection tool or in the menus on the left. I can still sample colors on existing models, and have normal access in Normal and Mindstorms mode. Has anyone else had this issue? I'm running 4.3.8.

Yes. Same problem. Running 4.3.8 on 2 different iMacs on 2 different OSs (10.9.5 and 10.8).

Yes. Same problem. Running 4.3.8 on 2 different iMacs on 2 different OSs (10.9.5 and 10.8).

So not just me. Have already tried multiple times to uninstall and reinstall, no luck. Sent a message to LEGO but am afraid the response wil be something along the lines of "we don't support LDD Extended". Any chance attacking the files in LDD Manager might have an effect?