Hinckley

New City Ideas Contest-discussion thread

I just entered mine! :-P ;-)

Lovely entry! A bit weird that all the boxes are the same size, since they contain sets that differ a lot in size.. but that's probably the way things are going, even small sets with 1 MF and some small vehicle will come in a huge box :-P

and for some reason your AFOL reminds me of this picture :-D (probably it's the long hair and the stubble)

G I rechanged my entry once again :-| Now the "building" is finished !! yeay !!

After nearly 2 hours spent on ground work on the exterior part I decided that all I did was crap, so I tore everything down >:-( Now I know what I need to do, pfeww who would think that a MOC on a 16x32 baseplate was that much work !!

Right, so you spend nearly 2 hours doing ground work on 16x32, and here I'm planning an entry that seems best fit for 48x48 + 32x32.. makes me feel a bit nervous about the amount of work that's required :-D (luckily most of my entry will be covered by the drydock, which makes it a lot easier to plan ;-) )

Now it will rock big time hehe !! I'm sure all of you will become regular patrons of my delightfull establishment :-P

Of course we will! Even the minors! (what is the legal age for drinking in your town anyway? :-D) Looking forward to see your entry!

MOC On !!

Couldn't have said it better myself. *y*

Edited by Quarryman

Lovely entry! A bit weird that all the boxes are the same size, since they contain sets that differ a lot in size.. but that's probably the way things are going, even small sets with 1 MF and some small vehicle will come in a huge box :-P

and for some reason your AFOL reminds me of this picture :-D (probably it's the long hair and the stubble)

Thanks! Its true about the box sizes too! :-D I opened my Creator Ferris Wheel the other day only to find the instructions wrinkled and creased! :-|

As for the AFOL, I tired to sterotpye. No offense to anyone, and no offense to the dude in the picture! :-D ;-)

(except if someone is being whacked by a stale baguette, thrown in a toilet, dumped in a garbage can, or similarly abused... in which case I clearly can credit Hinckley).

X-D Thanks Gylman. I don't think I've ever felt so proud. :'-)

I know exactly what you mean, though. When I first started building MOCs I would work off of pics of MOCs I found online. I felt plagiaristic (which is now a word) but I was happy with what I built. As I started becoming more skilled in building MOCs I would alter the solutions others had come up with to come up with a similar effect. No what I do is work from a picture or sketch of the actual structure/creature/vehicle I'm trying to build. So, say I'm building a train station, instead of search for train station on BS, I google it. ccassionally I still pull ideas from exisiting MOCs but feel much better when I interpret it myself from an exsisting structure or picture.

Legocastlegirl :-D Thanks for making me laugh with your post. Best of luck doing flower shop research. Watch out for that tipsy *yoda* while you're out and about. If he gets out of hand whack him with a stale baguette! :-P

My building approach usually is to try to build something without any planning at all, just a vague idea of what I want it to look like at the end. After a while I get a notion of how to do it, and of course I need to get specific pieces or specific colours, so off to Bricklink I go.

Then when it's 50% done, and I have bought a bunch of Bricklink stuff , I realize that it's crap, and I destroy all of it except for small parts of the MOC that look decent by themselves, but don't fit well together (usually a proportion issue)

I then reassemble the 10% noncrap element of the MOC in a new version, which means I buy a bunch more parts.

Usually after 2-3 iterations of this during which the non-crap part of the MOC increases and the crap diminishes, it starts to look like what I wanted, and in proportion, and everything fits together together.

By now I have a mountain of useless parts I ordered from Bricklink from the various iterations. Usually I don't get all the colours right at this stage, because use non-matching colours just to see if it all fits together before buying stuff I don't end up using.... as if!!!!

It then has to sit while the last batch of useless Bricklink parts arrives, which are in the right colour. I think i am finished, but I realize one of the colours is totally wrong for what I wanted, so I have to redo part of the MOC. This means that the previous batch of useless parts from Bricklink will actually be the second last.

I get the last batch, I put it together, and I am reasonably content with everything except the amount of money I have spent on a 1000 piece MOC with 3000 useless pieces. The Lego Company would call the "extras", which perhaps I should do also to make myself feel better. Of course, they sell a 500 part set with 5 extras, not 5000.

Anyway, it then has to sit on my workdesk for a few weeks and irritate me, until I finally get around to putting the last touches on it, as well as put the useless extra parts into the various bins.

Finally, I look at Brickshelf, and see all the far better ways of doing what I wanted to do that other people came up with, and never want to look at the MOC again.

So, that's how it usually goes.

For example, this future rocketship keychain display system is at about 2nd iteration, and waiting for next bunch of curved slopes, 4 x 4 curved bricks, and arches to arrive.

With the contest I'm at the first stage (vague idea stage). Luckily, since this contest ends in less than 4 weeks, the number of iterations and bricklink purchases I can do is limited. Maybe none..... hopefully....

Legocastlegirl :-D Thanks for making me laugh with your post. Best of luck doing flower shop research. Watch out for that tipsy *yoda* while you're out and about. If he gets out of hand whack him with a stale baguette! :-P

Yeay yeay yeay, another stereotyped post about French whacking baguette >:-( Hey I never saw you pst something like: "hey Sandra, if tipsy *yoda* enters your flower shop, then whack him with a wurtz" !!

Enough of those stereotypes I say X-D :-P

My building approach usually is to try to build something without any planning at all, just a vague idea of what I want it to look like at the end. After a while I get a notion of how to do it, and of course I need to get specific pieces or specific colours, so off to Bricklink I go.

I am so like you !!

I am totally a freestyle builder hehe. Since I'm still a MOC "newbie", I always have to redo things way too many times :-D Buts its fun and exciting to see how you can improve yourself !!

I usually draw a really quick sketch for really basic ideas (I am a terrible drawer hehe) and I just go from scratch after that !!

Last night I redid my bar for the last time !! what a relief I tell you !! And I finished my BL parts needed list so off I go :-P

Of course we will! Even the minors! (what is the legal age for drinking in your town anyway? :-D)

Hey I'm French so I will let 16 years old minors order beer hehe. But I will allow hard liquor at 18 ;-)

Well if not, there is still that sugary crappy beverage X-D

Moderation On !!

*yoda*

Yeay yeay yeay, another stereotyped post about French whacking baguette >:-(

:-D Would you rather us say french fries? That's more of a french dish, I suppose :-P

Hey I never saw you pst something like: "hey Sandra, if tipsy *yoda* enters your flower shop, then whack him with a wurtz" !!

The chemist? *wacko*

Great idea to have mini sets in there !! Why on Earth that stupid AFOL leaves without that great Fabuland set

Forget the Fabuland, there's a Skull's Eye Schooner in there! X-O

Really cool entry Sinner !! And I definitly agree withg you, we need a tugboat and more boats !! ;-)

BTW, do I sense some indecent proposal going on in the luxury suite ?? X-D :-P

dsc01173es.jpg

Like I said previously my entry is finished !! I just need the parts I ordered to be able to post it ;-) (built it with the missing parts in a different colour)

This contest will be great I sense hehe !!

MOC on !!!

*yoda*

Really cool entry Sinner !! And I definitly agree withg you, we need a tugboat and more boats !! ;-)

Thanks. *sweet* According to me there hasn't been a Lego tug boat since 1982!

4005-1.1122341947.jpg

Mine isn't as cute as that one though! *wub*

BTW, do I sense some indecent proposal going on in the luxury suite ?? X-D :-P

Indeed. Nice pussy. 8-|

Like I said previously my entry is finished !! I just need the parts I ordered to be able to post it ;-) (built it with the missing parts in a different colour)

This contest will be great I sense hehe !!

MOC on !!!

*yoda*

I look forward to seeing it. *sweet* Mine has a few odd colours (including a grey clip on the forward mast) and I might end up re-posting mine later. Hopefully we get as many entries as the Jar Jar and Whack-a-fig contests.

alex54 - I love your lighthouse! *wub* That is one of the other good raised baseplates and you used it very well.

FreeBee - Great idea; I like the green haired kid in the back! :-P

SirNadroj - Cool toystore. How hard was it to do those Lego boxes? I'll take the Technic set please. X-D

casewindu - I like your restaurant. Nice compact piano. What's going on here?

back_of_restaurant.jpg

Looks like some horror car crash! :-D

And yet there is a great entry by Alex !!

I really like your beautifull lighthouse !! And its good you found a use for that crappy baseplate X-D

The design of the building itself is superb and simple and I really like the amount of details you put on the top of that lighthouse !!

This contest will really be tough hehe which is really great !! Cannot wait to post my entry hehe (still waiting for my BL orders >:-( )

MOC ON !!

*yoda*

Great Flower Shop Legocastlegirl! *sweet* I think the flower boat is a great idea and no, I don't think the roof looks too high. I wish this set was real; I would love that many flowers! It's going to be hard to pick which one to vote for! 8-

Great Flower Shop Legocastlegirl! *sweet*

Just wanted to write the same! The idea is really really great and well done! The house in the background is not too big and not too small, just fits perfect to the flower shop!

-Aredhel

Great flower shop and great idea!

I think I will make a hairdressers. Unfortunately all my Lego is in my parents so I can only do it if I get the time to pop over and take some bricks home...

BTW Sandra, I edited your post on the very last sentence (I just deeplink that thread instead of copy/paste it). Looks better that way ;-)

Thanks *yoda*

And thanks to all, for that kind words!! It makes me happy to hear, that you like it.

I like the entries of the others very much, they are all so great... and i can

Edited by Legocastlegirl

What's going on here?

back_of_restaurant.jpg

Looks like some horror car crash! :-D

well everyone was taking advantage of happy hour at the bar and so got a bit drunk, then they took it in turns to drive the car into each other, a bit like bowling! :-P

really nice lighthouse Alex I love the the guy with the beard and the other man fishing, it looks like a real lighthouse and those rocks dont half look menecing! X-O ;-)

I really like your flower shop too castlegirl I really like the way you have used the little boat to also put flowers in, another realistic model!

Edited by casewindu

well everyone was taking advantage of happy hour at the bar and so got a bit drunk, then they took it in turns to drive the car into each other, a bit like bowling! :-P

Strewth! That is some happy hour! Where is this place? :-P

Strewth! That is some happy hour! Where is this place? :-P

Dang, and my bar is still under construction >:-( Talk about loosing money here >:-(

*yoda*