Hinckley

New City Ideas Contest-discussion thread

This will be an excellent contest...

One question Hinckley:

Is there a better way to organize the entries? Right now trying to scan through the contest entry thread is somewhat chaotic.

Is there a better way to organize the entries? Right now trying to scan through the contest entry thread is somewhat chaotic.

What do you mean by chaotic ? I don't follow you 8-|

*yoda*

!! The thating that I find amusing is that: why would a modern top notch truck carries old squarish cars :-D

*yoda*

Classic cars are worth big bikkies these days. It's worth spending the money on a decent carrier to ensure your irreplaceable collectable vehicle arrives at it's destination in 1 piece. ;-)

Thanks for the kind words peoples. Inspiration was from my mother-in-law. She came to visit and wouldn't shut up so I had to find something to distract me from her boring stories about her boring life. 3 hour build and the the truck was ready for work.

This will be an excellent contest...

One question Hinckley:

Sorry I don't follow either 8-|

Sorry I don't follow either 8-|

I think he might want some pictures in the first entry as an index. 8-|

Inspiration was from my mother-in-law. She came to visit and wouldn't shut up so I had to find something to distract me from her boring stories about her boring life. 3 hour build and the the truck was ready for work.

:-D Great story!

I think he might want some pictures in the first entry as an index. 8-|

That happens when the voting starts...

Sinner

I noticed your new pics! Have they been sharpened and color corrected? Did someone install Photoshop?

Whatever you did, they look great!!

Sinner

I noticed your new pics! Have they been sharpened and color corrected? Did someone install Photoshop?

Whatever you did, they look great!!

Thanks! :-$ They are still no where near your standard but I am trying. :-P There are two main changes; more lights and I did some colour tweaks, but not using Photoshop.

Thanks! :-$ They are still no where near your standard but I am trying. :-P There are two main changes; more lights and I did some colour tweaks, but not using Photoshop.

They are of excellent standard, nonetheless! *sweet* *y*

Sorry, I was away today.

By chaotic I meant that basically you scroll down and see one giant picture after another,and in between is a bit of text. If you scroll too fast you end up going to the next entry without realizing it. Right now it's taking FOREVER to load up because Brickshelf is either very slow or down.

You can't even tell whose MOC it is unless you scroll to the beginning of the posting, which sometimes is multiple screens due to the size of the pictures.

Doesn't the forum software automatically do a thumbnail pic so that you can click on it for full details? Why we we have to look at all these giant pics one by on. I am sure I have had it automatically make the thumbnails for me.

Anyway, it's not the end of the world, especially if you are planning to re-organize them once the voting starts.

Seems to me that people should make your life easier by submitting a fixed number of pictures, of a fixed size, through links, and then all you have to do is cut and paste the links.

Sorry, I was away today.

By chaotic I meant that basically you scroll down and see one giant picture after another,and in between is a bit of text. If you scroll too fast you end up going to the next entry without realizing it. Right now it's taking FOREVER to load up because Brickshelf is either very slow or down.

You can't even tell whose MOC it is unless you scroll to the beginning of the posting, which sometimes is multiple screens due to the size of the pictures.

Doesn't the forum software automatically do a thumbnail pic so that you can click on it for full details? Why we we have to look at all these giant pics one by on. I am sure I have had it automatically make the thumbnails for me.

Anyway, it's not the end of the world, especially if you are planning to re-organize them once the voting starts.

Seems to me that people should make your life easier by submitting a fixed number of pictures, of a fixed size, through links, and then all you have to do is cut and paste the links.

I see what you're saying. Maybe I should put some guidelines into the contest for posting pictures. However, I would never limit the amount of pictures a person can submit in the entries thread. Especially with a "bigger" contest like this. People really want to show off their creations! *sweet* *y*

But since I host my own images I don't know how to do thumbnails like you are talking about. I know there is a topic in the Websites and Forums...Forum :-/ . I will edit the first post to include a link to that topic and see if people want to clean up their entries. If not, I'm sure if people really want to see the entries, they will scroll through the topic carefully to make sure they don't miss any.

Thanks! :-)

While I appreciate the idea Gylman, I completely disagree. I find the posts with thumbnails annoying. You have to click the link to bring up the picture, then move the mouse to close the box, then click the next link, then close etc etc. I'd much rather just flick my scrolling wheel or hold my finger over the down arrow to see the entire thread.

While I appreciate the idea Gylman, I completely disagree.

I'm with Landlubber here. I prefer big pages with lots of images to fast loading thumbnailed ones. If the page loads slow, I just go do something else while I wait, however if they are thumbnailed I have to click each image.

Alex54

*wub* *wub* *wub* Bestill my heart. I love your MOCs. This one is so simple yet detailed and elegant! It reminds me of the US east coast. I'm ignorant as to lighthouse terms but I love the support dealies under the walkway around the spinny light.

You mean the lamp? :-D

I agree! Being a lighthouse junkie, I love it! Beautiful!! *wub*

Hinckley Brewery ; WOW

This MOC is just awesome; I really love that building and especially the loading ramp. Using that ramp base plate is just so smart!

And the details inside are great!

Good job!

damn, Hinckley.

I don't want to finish mine any more.

Yours is too good. Makes mine look like a dog's breakfast

Go find your own contest Hinckley! >:-( Your going to win for sure now. :'-(

That is a really great creation. *wub* Was the blend of frown ( X-D ) and brown deliberate? My favourite part is the loading dock. Is that a pre-fab base or something else? The poster is a very cool touch. I'm going to go off and cry now. Maybe I should stick to space.... :-D

Hinckley Brewery ; WOW

This MOC is just awesome; I really love that building and especially the loading ramp. Using that ramp base plate is just so smart!

And the details inside are great!

Good job!

:-$ Thanks Barbossa! I hope you will enter your Pizzeria. I *wub* it!

damn, Hinckley.

I don't want to finish mine any more.

Yours is too good. Makes mine look like a dog's breakfast

Go find your own contest Hinckley! Your going to win for sure now.

OH! :'-( :'-( :'-( :'-( :'-( You guys, I'm so sorry! I didn't want to discourage anyone with my entry. That makes me feel just horrible. May I suggest that you quit your nancy-pansy whining and-when you find them-put your balls to the wall and just build your best? Gylman, if you don't enter this contest, I swear I will so Bricklink your sig fig and when I'm done with it, you will look like a dog's breakfast. Sinner, I've talked to you about this-there is power in postive thinking! Correct that attitude, boy or I will correct it for you! Don't think that just because you have a bulbous walrus head, there isn't a LEGO toilet it won't fit in. That's your final warning...

;-) I'm giving you guys a hard time! Bet you didn't know that. Thanks for the compliments and please don't worry about the contest. Again, I'm not eligible as I'm running it. Besides the prize is an avatar made by me, I don't want that crap, I already have it! I really want people to have fun, challenging yourself when building a MOC is good too, but mostly you should have fun with this contest. Don't worry about winning, just have fun and put your best foot (or flipper) forward! *sweet* *y*

That is a really great creation. Was the blend of frown ( X-D ) and brown deliberate? My favourite part is the loading dock. Is that a pre-fab base or something else? The poster is a very cool touch. I'm going to go off and cry now. Maybe I should stick to space....

It was intentional! I got the idea from a MOC I saw at BrickWorld but this is how I did it, I got all of my brown and frown 1x2 bricks and just mixed them together so it would be completely random and not obviously placed. It's a good thing I chose that method too, because I have 1 1x2 brown brick left! The loading dock base is made from these two parts! Thanks for you compliments!! *wub* And don't cry >:-( Dry your eyes with the hem of your skirt! Perhaps we should build a planet theme together-space houses by me and vehicles by you!

Amazing entry Hinckie Beautifull indeed !!

I love the color pattern, the general shape of the building, and all the great details everywhere inside !!

That ramp is ingenious and that truck is really great !!

And that board is really hilarious

Fantastic entry !!

Gee! Thanks! :-$

I only have a question:

What!??!! >:-(

why did your brewery is that elevated compared to a baseplate ? Is it due to that docking/cargo area ? Just asking because I don't see how you would incorporate that fantastic building in a town.

I'm glad my upcomming bar has a place for beer :-D

:-D It is elevated so I could pull off the loading dock effect. I have wanted to do that ever since I rented a cement mixer (for Jocko's pond) and saw a dugout loading dock. (I used to work in a warehouse but it didn't have the dugout loading dock) When Widdi suggested the brewery I thought "Now's my chance!" The problem is it will be tricky to fit it into my layout. Part of me wants to dissasemble-Johnny-5 it to get all of my brown 1x2s back! But I love it and want to keep it. So I may have to convert my layout to accommodate it. Let's see how much old light gray I can order to build one portion of my town up!

We do deliver to your pub! ;-)

BTW Hinckie, how will that contest work ?? Since there are loads of different entries and style. Will you create categfories ?

Can't wait to see more great entries hehe !!

I'm eager to see how this will work out too! I thought from the beginning there would be separate categories. Right now we could do separate categories for buildings and vehicles. If Barbossa enters we could have a separate modular category! That might alleviate people's fears of going up against...certain entries. :-$ Those are my thoughts. I'm open to any suggestions.

Thanks again guys for the great compliments. I really appreciate it and I'm gald you enjoy my creation! Gylman, I better see that entry!!! :-P

LOL.... count on it. I'll be there, fate and Bricklink willing.

I've done most of it... just some details and odd parts are missing. I never thought I would use up all my tiles, but I pretty much have. And I had to rape my Cafe Corner set too...

Seriously, what is so good about the brewery is that it has a solid "fortress-like" block building look, which normally we associate with childish building technique, but in fact the way it is done is very subtle and totally original. It looks just right for the job, and is consistent all through, with a perfect colour scheme.

Originality. That, in essence, is what I lack, and what you have been gifted with in spades. What goes on in that brain of yours??

Actually, leet building techinques aside, my fav part of your MOC was the Whacker and the Walrus ad poster. I wish I could do stuff like that...

I suggest one cat for vehicles and one for buildings. I don't see the need for a separate modular building cat.

Finally thought I had enough orders in to get this show on the road.

Collected everything together, found a nice shiny new baseplate and started laying out the foundation. An hour later I realise I don't have 8 vital slopes, I'm 3/4's out of dark red, I hate these doors (not sure what I'm doing about that), I hate the look of what I've done so far and I'm ready to toss it back in the sorting bin. *wacko* >:-(

AAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!

That's better. Time to hit Bricklink again. Glad we ended up with an extra week to get this done!

Credit Card On!

hinckley, your brewery! Oh... My... Gawd! It's amazing! (How will I decide between Alex and you!? :'-( )

I really need to show this to my dad. He's, well, crazy about beer. He has a food science major, was a brewmaster in the Olympia Brewery for 23 years, made wine at our vineyard before we sold it ( :'-( ) and is currently the Brewmaster for the Deschutes brewery in Bend. Maybe I should send you some pictures of the brewing equipment so you can expand.

I especially love the bottling section. It looks just like a brewery, albeit simplified slightly to fit. Now all you need is a pub to go next door! 8-

Great entries so far everyone *y*

They really are awesome

So many great entries that will be hard to beat

I am still pondering about what to build

Such a hard choice

Nice Decal work Hinckley, your such a show-off :-P

Piranha