pirates-indexed.gif LDD/MLCad 15D

The Black Pearl Project - A joint venture by Courleciel and Papacharly

EDIT April 1st 2015: Black Pearl mpd-file is available now. Please also note the relevant post #15 below!

End of last year I had been invited by Courleciel to join a project he already started. The goal of this project was to virtually build the Black Pearl from the Lego video game “Pirates of the Caribbean” and, in a second step, to “make great renderings”. At this time the ship had already been built by Courleciel in real bricks.

Starting point for this project was an “old” lxf-file (Lego Digital Designer) by captainjack.

The virtual model was significantly optimized by Courleciel so as to make it more accurate and complete. A lot of parts have been repainted, some new elements were added (such as anchors, bell, grating, cannons...), and some were adjusted or rebuilt (like the capstan, figurehead, lanterns, masts...).

After the model was nearly completed, the LDD file was converted to the LDraw format and my job started. According to Courleciels conceptual work I added rigging, rails, ropes and strings by using SR3D Builder and MLCad/LSynth. Sails were directly created in povray. Additionally it was necessary to manipulate some original LDraw parts (e.g. # x1609 batarang, see stern) to make them authentic with regard to the video game.

Finally we decided on all setups for being rendered.

All renders have status “as rendered”. There was no “photoshopping” applied, aside from scaling down and anti-aliasing.

I have not counted all the hours I spent working on this project. But doing all the work Courleciel and me had a lot of fun. So we hope that you also will enjoy our work and have some fun too.

High resolution “technical renders” showing the conceptual work of Courleciel can be found here. For high resolution images of the movie scenes click here.

And here is the outcome of our project:: First we have some technical renders of the Black Pearl. Then we show some movie scene remakes. For all those which are not familiar with “Pirates of the Carribean”, please find the original movie scene respectively an original video game screenshot below each rendering.

Black_Pearl_01_final_lores.jpg

Black_Pearl_02_final_lores.jpg

Black_Pearl_03_final_lores.jpg

Black_Pearl_05_final_lores.jpg

Black_Pearl_06_final_lores.jpg

Black_Pearl_08_final_lores.jpg

Here comes a remake of a video game screenshot:

Black_Pearl_Night_final_lores.jpg

MS_Black-Pearl_Night.jpg

Two movie scenes from part 1 "The Curse of the Black Pearl":

Black_Pearl_Torch_final_lores.jpg

MS_Black_Pear_Torch.jpg

Black_Pearl_Fog_final_lores.jpg

MS_Black_Pearl_Fog.jpg

Movie scene “Pantano River” from part 2 "Dead Man’s Chest"

Black_Pearl_Pantano_final_lores.jpg

MS_Black_Pearl_Pantano.jpg

Two movie scenes “Locker” from part 3 "At World’s End"

Black_Pearl_Locker_final_lores.jpg

MS_Black_Pearl_Locker.jpg

Black_Pearl_Crab_final_lores.jpg

MS_Black_Pearl_Crab.jpg

Last but not least we have an atmospheric and maybe kitschy sunset render which is not related to any movie scene.

Black_Pearl_Sundown_final_lores.jpg

Most amazing! Both, the model and the renders. I'm absolutely speechless about that quality. Congrats to the both of you.

Could you please link it to the Pirate MOC Forum? I'm sure the mateys over there will dig it, too.

Best regards,

KB

Now this is what the Black Pearl set should’ve been; it’s absolutely fantastic, you’ve done a great job with the overall look and details while retaining the standard SYSTEM scale. :thumbup:

Could you please share the LXF/the LDraw file?

Good news: We will provide an mpd file. But you have to be patient. It will need some time as actually there is no LDraw or MPD file containing all components. I have to prepare it. For manageability I prepared a lot of ldraw files: One for the main ship, a lot of files for strings, ropes and railings, and so on. Then I converted each single ldraw file to povray and “assembled” all files in povray (via inc-files) to generate the complete model.

If it seems necessary to you, please feel free to give me a reminder …

Excellent!

Most amazing! ...

... it’s absolutely fantastic, ...

... Really impressive! ...

Your kind comments are highly appreciated. Glad you like it. Many thanks!!

Courleciel & Papacharly

absolutely stunning! My mind is having a hard time fully taking in how beautiful this is, ive had to go back and look at it numerous times today.

I like never post but i couldnt not comment on this

This remin

absolutely stunning! My mind is having a hard time fully taking in how beautiful this is, ive had to go back and look at it numerous times today.

I like never post but i couldnt not comment on this

You joined in 2008 and you've made 4 posts?!?!?!?!?

This brings me back to when I played POTC on the Wii every Saturday...

This is one of the greatest Pirates of the Caribbean MOCs I have seen, and as has already been said, this is what the official set SHOULD have been, and it looks almost identical to the one in the game, is there any chance you may consider making some of the other major ships?

Great work! The similarity with the original excellent! pirate_oh.gif

A very interesting principle of construction of the ship. Please follow the instructions on your "Pearl"! This would be very helpful to all in the construction of their ships.

Thank you all so much for your nice comments!!!

As desired by TheLegoExpert here comes an mpd-file (MLCad/LDraw) of the Black Pearl:

Screenshot_MLCad_BlackPearl.jpg

For a proper visual representation of all strings, ropes and railings you may have to install LSynth (Add-On to MLCad).

Please note: The main ship consists of roundabout 3000 bricks. Whereas strings, ropes and railings add further 50.000 parts!

As we prepared 4 custom parts you may additionally save following custom parts to your LDraw parts library:

Modified Batarang (Stern)

Modified Technic Plate (Anchor)

Modified Mudguard (Bell)

Endstud (Railing)

As well as these two unofficial parts (available on ldraw.org too):

# 64645 Boat Base 10x16

# 64651 Boat Base 13x16

Hope anything works fine and you will enjoy it!

Regards

Papacharly

Edited by papacharly

Sorry if I am bumping an old thread but I really want to make this IRL but have no idea how MLcad works would somebody be able to help me?

Okay i want to built this ship can you help me: how is the best way to start? So the bricks i will get from bricklink but there is no instruction, or?

Though we do appreciate your interest and enthusiasm we do ask that you refrain from bumping old topics. This post was last commented on nearly a year and a half. For your edification please revisit the Site Guidelines as well as this topic on Bumping Old Topics. Thank you for understanding. 

Amazing!

I've been opsessed with the Black Pearl from the game when it came out and i'm trying to build it.Do you maybe know what's the color of the deck tiles called on bricklink cause i can't find them there?

It's been awhile since this was posted, but is there another way of accessing the model, maybe through stud.io, so that others can build this model irl?

As already said :

On 4/7/2017 at 3:14 AM, kurigan said:

Though we do appreciate your interest and enthusiasm we do ask that you refrain from bumping old topics.  For your edification please revisit the Site Guidelines as well as this topic on Bumping Old Topics. Thank you for understanding. 

This post was last commented 4 years ago.

The Ldraw model is exportable to stud.io

On 12/27/2021 at 12:52 AM, ImpRecruiter said:

It's been awhile since this was posted, but is there another way of accessing the model, maybe through stud.io, so that others can build this model irl?

Holy crap lol, talk about timing, I'm currently in the process of designing blueprints for the video game Pearl and this would be a huge help, did you get any luck exporting to stud.io?

14 hours ago, JackLegoWIIWIIGAMING said:

Hey, so I want to get the moc in ldd, but none of the links are working/doing or leading me any ware, just wondering what's going on?

The link is at the top but it's to the PNG. Here's the link to the main page, the LDD file (.lxf) is on the right. I just opened it and confirmed it still works. https://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=486055

All the work done since that starting point was converted to MLcad. You should be able to use LEOcad if non-Windows but I can't seem to get the MPD file to open. The other .dat files work.

Edit: proof that it still works, this is obviously the original LDD and not any of the updated file work. I painted it pink.

52284769037_7ddec3f606_b.jpg

Edited by koalayummies