DarthTwoShedsJackson

[WIP] Imperial Assault Carrier (Gozanti Class Cruiser) from Star Wars

It's been a while since I last posted a new MOC, and this thread is more of a teaser or first look at my work-in-progress. Yes, I'm building an adversary for my GHOST from Star Wars Rebels - the Imperial Assault Carrier which was also played an important role in the show's excellent first season finale.

I spent some hobby hours last week sketch-building and coming up with a sturdy framework for this beast. Once I was happy with the proportions and the sketch build proved to be sturdy and durable, I started building the model in earnest this friday. This ship is in scale to my GHOST, which is roughly half-minifig scale at 60 studs. The Imperial Assault Carrier is 80 studs long. There's a lot of room in the main body and the bridge section to fit a lot of interior, which I will tackle once the hull is done. What you can't see in these first two WIP pics is the underside, which is also as good as finished and also sports retractable landing gear!

So, here are the first two teaser pics I wanted to share with you, since I'm quite excited to get this thing finished now that all problems have been solved. The darn thing is too big to fit into my light tent, so I will have to come up with another method to get nice even lighting when I will take pictures of the finished model. My GHOST has also been improved further - new pics are to follow in the respective MOC thread, soon.

Of course, once the Imperial Assault Carrier is finished, I will also take some pictures with both the Carrier and the GHOST side-by-side.

GozantiClassCruiserWIP1.jpg

GozantiClassCruiserWIP2.jpg

Edited by DarthTwoShedsJackson

Oh wow! What a build so far. I love these ships, and I love your version of it. I can't wait until you show us the complete version, maybe even fighting the ghost in a pic? Anyway, great work! :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Can it hang TIEs?

Currently no, it cannot carry TIEs. There are two points on each wing at which a TIE can be attached with the model from the show. Problem is that the frontal attachment point is located on a sloped element. I'm using a large flat sloped LEGO element for this area (The one also used on the UCS X-Wing, or on the wing elements of the Republic Gunship), because it has both the correct size and angle. It's smooth, though, so there's no way to put the attachment point on there other than Kragle, which is a no-no! The second attachment point is located behind the landing gear on a non-sloped area in the original model. Since I use plates with studs facing down here, it's easy to put this attachment point on each wing - it'd be a bit of a compromise. The TIEs would need to be roughly half-minifig-scale, though.

Now you've officially become the new Rebels Lego designer! This truly does justice to this ship. I can't wait until it's finished!

It looks great so far, and as others said it looks better than the Lego version.

It's in half minifig scale as with their Ghost moc, so I'd hazard a guess and say no. This is a good scale for exteriors but very tricky for most other things.

Looks good. Does it have an interior?

It's in half minifig scale as with their Ghost moc, so I'd hazard a guess and say no. This is a good scale for exteriors but very tricky for most other things.

Half-minifig-scale does not mean that the models won't have an interior for minifigs. As with my GHOST, the Imperial Assault Carrier actually will have interior for minifigs - even more interior in relation to the size of the model as my GHOST MOC has. :wink:

Edit: I have just finished the wings and the underside, as well as the hyperdrive engine. Now I need to build the turrets, and then I'll move on to the interior. It's very likely that I will be finished tomorrow.

I'm really interested to see a few construction details. I saw the "finished" photos in another thread, and I think you really captured the angles and the detail perfectly. This is amazing, great job.

Currently no, it cannot carry TIEs. There are two points on each wing at which a TIE can be attached with the model from the show. Problem is that the frontal attachment point is located on a sloped element. I'm using a large flat sloped LEGO element for this area (The one also used on the UCS X-Wing, or on the wing elements of the Republic Gunship), because it has both the correct size and angle. It's smooth, though, so there's no way to put the attachment point on there other than Kragle, which is a no-no! The second attachment point is located behind the landing gear on a non-sloped area in the original model. Since I use plates with studs facing down here, it's easy to put this attachment point on each wing - it'd be a bit of a compromise. The TIEs would need to be roughly half-minifig-scale, though.

How about the upcoming microfighters? 2016 should see a Tie prototype and AT-DP microfighter, which should be roughly the right scale (or at least provide a base for modification)

Love the Gozanti so far by the way, it is one of my new favorite ships after seeing rebels, and im really mad at my wallet for not having the money to buy one :P

How about the upcoming microfighters? 2016 should see a Tie prototype and AT-DP microfighter, which should be roughly the right scale (or at least provide a base for modification)

Good call. To fit a full size AT-DP or TIE that ship would have to be seriously huge......

Love this version by the way.

Edited by belkor