After months of building (well, life got in the way) I've finally finished building my biggest, most complex GBC module.

It's a hybrid GBC (uses both mechanical and pneumatic functions) of a construction site-like-crane operation.

Here's the video. A detailed description of how the crane works is written below

The 6 step movement of the crane is done without using any sort of programming and no mechanical timers - it uses 3 differentials (one heavy duty) to power 4 outputs:

1) The crane rotation

2) The crane's claw (a pneumatic switch)

3) The crane's boom (a pneumatic switch)

4) The PF switch used to reverse the motion

The 6 step movement:

1) Close the claw

2) Lift

3) Rotate

4) Release

5) Rotate back to original position

6) Lower

So how does it work?

Differentials send the power to the 'easiest' output.

So the first, easiest function is to close the claw (rotating an axle which then changes the position of a pneumatic switch) -to grab the crate

The second easiest is to open the boom's pneumatic switch -to lift the crate

After that, the crane rotates until it's blocked at it's final position (the drop position). The power is then sent to the PF switch, which reverses the movement:

-The claw opens

-The crane rotates

-The boom lowers

Notice how the boom lowers AFTER the crane rotates back to it's original position (while it lifts BEFORE the crane rotates) -

this is done so the boom won't lower in the wrong position (where it drops the crate) - a rubber band mounted on the boom's switch makes sure this happens:

-It's easier to change the switch to it's lift position than it's to rotate the crane

-It's harder to change the switch to it's lower position than it's to rotate the crane back.

There are many (really, many) more small mechanisms in this module, but I think it's better to see those in the video :)

Thanks for watching!

Edited by LegoGBC

Such an epic model, video, presentation and IDEA! I love the construction site/factory setting with containers, conveyer belts, etc...

Your nick is well deserved!

I think epic really describes it! Very well done.

Andy D

This has got to be the second GBC (after Akiyuki's factory) where a container of balls gets moved across modules. Very nicely done!

How do you even get started on a project like this? Paper and Pencil? Simulations/calculation of gear mechanisms? Also, I'm sure all the mechanisms are sunchronized/keyed and yet, in the video there is a lot happening and it's difficult to 'capture' such repetition/cycle. All in all, very nicely done.

Oh, and the music is by ... Yanni?

Edited by DrJB

Cool. I would've prefered to hear the sound of the GBC working versus the music sound track in the video. The sounds of motors, gears, compressors...now that's real music. :wink:

This has got to be the second GBC (after Akiyuki's factory) where a container of balls gets moved across modules. Very nicely done!

How do you even get started on a project like this? Paper and Pencil? Simulations/calculation of gear mechanisms? Also, I'm sure all the mechanisms are sunchronized/keyed and yet, in the video there is a lot happening and it's difficult to 'capture' such repetition/cycle. All in all, very nicely done.

Oh, and the music is by ... Yanni?

I always start with the main mechanism I would like to check (in this case, the differentials for sequencing). Then I thought about the crane and developed the concept of how it would work (I thought about it in my head for a few days and solved the problems I could think of). Then I drew a quick sketch of the whole system (very basic, without any mechanism details, just squares with titles) and after finishing the crane (well, it's first version...there were many modifications later on) I've started working on the other mechanisms (unloading,loading and tracks)

The music is "Epic Adventure" from AudioMicro.com

Cool. I would've prefered to hear the sound of the GBC working versus the music sound track in the video. The sounds of motors, gears, compressors...now that's real music. :wink:

Thanks. I do usually agree regarding the sound of GBCs, but I think that in this case the music sounds better than the squeaks of the knob gears :wink:

Steve's GBC web page linked to above days "This started as a 'Ping Pong ball handoff' within our club (The Lafayette LEGO Robotics Club or LafLRC), and was combined with SMART's Crate Contraption to become The Great Ball Contraption ." There is a link to the SMART contraption discussion on Steve's page.

The differential 'easiest' method is mind blowing. I'm going to have to watch this a few more times.

Thank you! It is very handy since it doesn't rely on syncing complex gear ratios and therefore, does not 'drift' after running for long periods.

After months of building (well, life got in the way) I've finally finished building my biggest, most complex GBC module.

It's a hybrid GBC (uses both mechanical and pneumatic functions) of a construction site-like-crane operation.

Here's the video. A detailed description of how the crane works is written below

The 6 step movement of the crane is done without using any sort of programming and no mechanical timers - it uses 3 differentials (one heavy duty) to power 4 outputs:

1) The crane rotation

2) The crane's claw (a pneumatic switch)

3) The crane's boom (a pneumatic switch)

4) The PF switch used to reverse the motion

The 6 step movement:

1) Close the claw

2) Lift

3) Rotate

4) Release

5) Rotate back to original position

6) Lower

So how does it work?

Differentials send the power to the 'easiest' output.

So the first, easiest function is to close the claw (rotating an axle which then changes the position of a pneumatic switch) -to grab the crate

The second easiest is to open the boom's pneumatic switch -to lift the crate

After that, the crane rotates until it's blocked at it's final position (the drop position). The power is then sent to the PF switch, which reverses the movement:

-The claw opens

-The crane rotates

-The boom lowers

Notice how the boom lowers AFTER the crane rotates back to it's original position (while it lifts BEFORE the crane rotates) -

this is done so the boom won't lower in the wrong position (where it drops the crate) - a rubber band mounted on the boom's switch makes sure this happens:

-It's easier to change the switch to it's lift position than it's to rotate the crane

-It's harder to change the switch to it's lower position than it's to rotate the crane back.

There are many (really, many) more small mechanisms in this module, but I think it's better to see those in the video :)

Thanks for watching!

Very nice tried out. Congratulation.

Do u have any instruction on ur GBC module ? i like to try it. Tq.